It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uncle Jerry
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The owners of the NBA's Chicago Bulls and NHL's Blackhawks unveiled a $7 billion plan Tuesday to replace the parking lots surrounding the United Center with green space, mixed-income housing, a music hall and more.

The 1901 Project, touted as the largest private investment in Chicago's West Side, is being spearheaded by the Reinsdorf and Wirtz families, who own the arena. It would be built in phases on more than 55 acres of privately owned land over about a decade-long period starting as soon as next spring if approved by the city.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/bull ... 54965.html

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

Post subject: Re: Uncle Jerry
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:05 pm 

So where will everyone park for games?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:

On Lake or Washington.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Nas wrote:
[i]T mixed-income housing

Never a good sign....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
WHURRMAI GONNA PAIRK MY CARE TO SEE DA HAWKS NOW THANKS ALOT REISENDORF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:32 pm 

But in all seriousness, this is a terrific move and both families should be applauded for this. Density around destinations is a good thing. It's a pity they didn't have this idea 30 years ago, when the United Center could have revitalized its surrounding blight and opened as the Camden Yards of indoor arenas. I hope that it is done right with some real humanity behind it and not just West Side Rosemont. We shall see.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
But in all seriousness, this is a terrific move and both families should be applauded for this. Density around destinations is a good thing. It's a pity they didn't have this idea 30 years ago, when the United Center could have revitalized its surrounding blight and opened as the Camden Yards of indoor arenas. I hope that it is done right with some real humanity behind it and not just West Side Rosemont. We shall see.

The bleeding hearts and artists…

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:40 pm 

Green space is overrated. We have a whole country of green space. Are we going to run out of areas for grass in America?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:41 pm 

Brick wrote:
Green space is overrated. We have a whole country of green space. Are we going to run out of areas for grass in America?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Oly time it will be green is in the play-in game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:46 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I thought the Penguins did a nice job weaving their new arena into the city. Even built around a church to do so. Pittsburgh isn't as transit-heavy as Chicago is, so there's still a good amount of surface parking, but hardly an ocean like we have.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:51 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I thought the Penguins did a nice job weaving their new arena into the city. Even built around a church to do so. Pittsburgh isn't as transit-heavy as Chicago is, so there's still a good amount of surface parking, but hardly an ocean like we have.

They are still trying to develop the poor sections around the arena. It’s hard to do. Mostly I get pessimistic because these things turn into anything but poor people living there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: JJ Twigs
Nas wrote:
The owners of the NBA's Chicago Bulls and NHL's Blackhawks unveiled a $7 billion plan Tuesday to replace the parking lots surrounding the United Center with green space, mixed-income housing, a music hall and more.

The 1901 Project, touted as the largest private investment in Chicago's West Side, is being spearheaded by the Reinsdorf and Wirtz families, who own the arena. It would be built in phases on more than 55 acres of privately owned land over about a decade-long period starting as soon as next spring if approved by the city.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/bull ... 54965.html

Why are the Bears so poor?

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
it's time you all are hauled out to the public square and shot in the face, a few inches to the good more than Trump was. You wanted this, now you've got it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:59 pm 

Nas wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

On Lake or Washington.

$5 to watch your car, mister. make sure nothing happens to it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

On Lake or Washington.

$5 to watch your car, mister. make sure nothing happens to it

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

:wink:

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:14 pm 

Darkside wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

:wink:

You got that one. I was sure CH would.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:16 pm 

Mixed-Use Housing starting in the low 900s sounds like a good plan though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:16 pm 

I see that they're talking about putting a Pink Line station at Madison/Paulina. Another thing they should have done years ago.

If they're going to do that, they need to bring back the connector between Ogilvie and Clinton. I feel like a world-historic schmuck every time I look out the window at the Clinton station, pull into Ogilvie, about-face and walk down the weird stairs to the old concourse, out to Clinton, walk two blocks north and up the stairs to the station I just gazed at like five minutes ago. And don't get me started about coming home from Thalia Hall and having to walk all the way to the front door on Madison Street because all the side doors are locked.

pittmike wrote:

I know my Pink Floyd when I see it, just didn't have a worthy rejoinder.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:27 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I see that they're talking about putting a Pink Line station at Madison/Paulina. Another thing they should have done years ago.

If they're going to do that, they need to bring back the connector between Ogilvie and Clinton. I feel like a world-historic schmuck every time I look out the window at the Clinton station, pull into Ogilvie, about-face and walk down the weird stairs to the old concourse, out to Clinton, walk two blocks north and up the stairs to the station I just gazed at like five minutes ago. And don't get me started about coming home from Thalia Hall and having to walk all the way to the front door on Madison Street because all the side doors are locked.

pittmike wrote:

Gotcha. Without some sort of NYC type controls I do not understand how to make affordable housing stay that way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:39 pm 

Yeah, that's really about it. Some would argue that mortgages are a de facto form of rent control, but that's far afield. I'm just glad there will be less surface parking around an important Chicago location.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
This looks like one of those development plans that’s totally going to happen.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
First residents will move in and promptly complain about the traffic and noise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

Christ, If Jerry is gonna is willing to do this, just do SOX park in the South loop with this money. Rather have that then this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:06 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Christ, If Jerry is gonna is willing to do this, just do SOX park in the South loop with this money. Rather have that then this.

Comiskey is fine the way it is and sits empty half the year. Unitedcenterville can be a year-round revenue-generator. Also cheaper and easier to build a few buildings on some parking lots than it is to build an entire baseball stadium.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:09 am 

pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

pittmike wrote:

Gotcha. Without some sort of NYC type controls I do not understand how to make affordable housing stay that way.

I think they put it into a program that devotes it for 30 years or so in a recorded document.

This isn't exactly the gift some are making it to be. Gentrification was more than making its way to the UC area so this is just anticipating the market. Don't get me wrong, I still like it and I do expect they will put at least 25-30% into affordability. That would be a great place to live for someone in the program.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Brick wrote:

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:24 pm 

I'm curious about the "6,000-seat music hall" they're including. It's not without precedent: Madison Square Garden has always had the Felt Forum sandwiched between the arena and Penn Station for smaller shows, and part of the billion-dollar SoFi Stadium campus is the "YouTube Theater," which looks like it would have been rejected by Harper College for being a little too dull:

I don't think we have any concert halls that crack 5,000. I don't think the Chicago Theater, Auditorium, or Riviera do, though it's not as if I've tried to do a headcount. Rosemont might. I like the idea of more venues, sure, but I'm not sure which niche this United Center Concert Hall would fill or cannibalize. If it came down to it, I would rather see the Uptown finally get restored.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:29 pm 

I was at the Aragon Ballroom this weekend for the Saw Doctors. It has a 5K capacity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:35 pm 

I think that and the Park West are the last two big venues I haven't really been to. Took a pass on LCD Soundsystem last May. People don't speak warmly of the acoustics. But yeah, I wasn't counting the Aragon or Radius because they're not really auditoriums per se.