It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: NCAA Football 2022
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:04 am 

Don't think ISU ever beat them in the time I was there, but those Kordell Stewart teams were fun to watch. Think the just about all of the "skill position" starting lineup his senior year played in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:15 am 

casual fan wrote:
Don't think ISU ever beat them in the time I was there, but those Kordell Stewart teams were fun to watch. Think the just about all of the "skill position" starting lineup his senior year played in the NFL.

But back in those days - who did they beat? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:41 am 

Good point..... I was in a 5 year program, and I think they won 12 or 13 games in that time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:14 am 

casual fan wrote:
Good point..... I was in a 5 year program, and I think they won 12 or 13 games in that time.

Matt Campbell has really done great there. Selling Ames Iowa as a place to win had to be hard but he's making it possible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:47 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Colorado just axed their guy as well. Seems like a place that still should be able to draw talent.

Has Colorado been relevant since Kordell Stewart?

Nope - the move to the Pac 10 set them backwards. Changed their recruiting landscape and they went backwards in a hurry. Two bowl games since 2007 (one in the COVID year). Wow - it's worse than I even thought.

They had a little window of national relevance there under Gary Barnett before it all came crashing down with (a) Barnett sanctions (b) move to Pac-12 and (c) hiring a string of bad hires.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
casual fan wrote:

Matt Campbell has really done great there. Selling Ames Iowa as a place to win had to be hard but he's making it possible.

^

He certainly is. They almost turned it around a few times, but always went back to something worse than mediocrity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:42 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
casual fan wrote:

But back in those days - who did they beat? :lol:

He threw that Hail Mary to beat Michigan....still pisses me off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:38 pm 

I just found out that Jordan Addison has a $3.5 MM NIL deal through USC and United Airlines and may have been offered $6MM by Alabama (according to Reggie Bush). He's now making more than Ju-Ju Smith-Shuster.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:07 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
I just found out that Jordan Addison has a $3.5 MM NIL deal through USC and United Airlines and may have been offered $6MM by Alabama (according to Reggie Bush). He's now making more than Ju-Ju Smith-Shuster.

NIL has gotten, predictably, ridiculous.

Nobody is buying anything because he sponsors it, especially tickets on United. It really is just a different form of corruption that can make some feel more comfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:49 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Nobody is buying anything because he sponsors it, especially tickets on United. It really is just a different form of corruption that can make some feel more comfortable.

I agree, but aside from the Mike White Illini every guy I knew playing D1 football back in the day wasn't exactly living it up. But it's nice to see the kids getting paid and at least now the major programs have facilities and some benefits on par if not better than some NFL teams.

Honestly I've been wanting to talk to a friend whose son is playing at OU. He seems to be doing relatively better since his son got to Norman. And never seems to miss a game. I think that he's already in Dallas for the Red River Classic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:37 pm 

One Post wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Colorado just axed their guy as well. Seems like a place that still should be able to draw talent.

Nope - the move to the Pac 10 set them backwards. Changed their recruiting landscape and they went backwards in a hurry. Two bowl games since 2007 (one in the COVID year). Wow - it's worse than I even thought.

They had a little window of national relevance there under Gary Barnett before it all came crashing down with (a) Barnett sanctions (b) move to Pac-12 and (c) hiring a string of bad hires.

Might be just before you time, but the Buffs were an excellent team in the late 80s/most of the 90s, and they were frequently on national tv. Used to schedule good non-conference games (Michigan, Tennessee, Baylor, Texas, Illinois when they had a decent team), too. Coaches were all cheaters who got caught, though, and that killed it.

Won half a national title, but it should have an *

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:22 am 

Mc Cartney publicly preached conservative religion and accountability but privately let his daughter get passed around the locker room and let the players run as wild as any in the country. Then he became head of Promise Keepers because he had so obviously put his faith into practice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:22 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Mc Cartney publicly preached conservative religion and accountability but privately let his daughter get passed around the locker room and let the players run as wild as any in the country. Then he became head of Promise Keepers because he had so obviously put his faith into practice

It was odd watching him being all pious while Sal Aunese was slowly dying with McCartney's daughter sitting in the stands pregnant with his child. I never could understand how the hypocrite could live with himself.

Especially as he leeched off the sadness and concern for Sal.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:29 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It was odd watching him being all pious while Sal Aunese was slowly dying with McCartney's daughter sitting in the stands pregnant with his child. I never could understand how the hypocrite could live with himself.

Especially as he leeched off the sadness and concern for Sal.

Really creepy dude.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:31 pm 

Alabama survives again

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Alabama survives again

Terrible final play call.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: sorentos
Unbelievable that in his 3rd year at Miss St Leach already has them as a SEC contender outside of Bama/ Tennessee

Easily one of the most underrated coaches in college football

19 bowl appearances in 21 seasons, won at 2 difficult programs in Texas tech and Wash St and now turning Miss St around
Modify message

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: sorentos
Jimbo Fisher is so overrated

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:29 am 

nickmiles wrote:
Unbelievable that in his 3rd year at Miss St Leach already has them as a SEC contender outside of Bama/ Tennessee

19 bowl appearances in 21 seasons, won at 2 difficult programs in Texas tech and Wash St and now turning Miss St around
Modify message

It amazed me how few schools lined up for him before he got to Wazzou. He's nutty in a different way, but he always gets results.

I really wonder what happened at Texas Tech. Too bad that Houston Homer (an alumnae) isn't around for insight. Oh and f Craig James.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:31 am 

nickmiles wrote:

He is nothing more than a back stabber who fleeced the idiot Aggie boosters and wrecked Florida State.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:00 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
nickmiles wrote:

He is nothing more than a back stabber who fleeced the idiot Aggie boosters and wrecked Florida State.

My favorite thing I saw yesterday is that Scott Woodward as Athletic Director has signed both Jimbo and Brian Kelly to those monster contracts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:21 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

You assumed it was going to take some other form that what it has become?

The NCAA could have controlled and implemented a way to compensate players on their own terms. They obstinately refused to do so for decades and now the NIL regime has been foisted upon them. They are reaping what they sowed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:23 am 

One Post wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Might be just before you time, but the Buffs were an excellent team in the late 80s/most of the 90s, and they were frequently on national tv. Used to schedule good non-conference games (Michigan, Tennessee, Baylor, Texas, Illinois when they had a decent team), too. Coaches were all cheaters who got caught, though, and that killed it.

Yeah, I think the first teams I remembered aside from Notre Dame and Illiniois was that Georgia Tech team that split the natty title with Colorado. Interestingly I just bought a signed Dennis Eckersley Sports Illustrated a week ago, and they had an article about Georgia Tech/Virginia who were the two of the top five teams at that time in the season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:29 am 

One Post wrote:
One Post wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Yeah, I think the first teams I remembered aside from Notre Dame and Illiniois was that Georgia Tech team that split the natty title with Colorado. Interestingly I just bought a signed Dennis Eckersley Sports Illustrated a week ago, and they had an article about Georgia Tech/Virginia who were the two of the top five teams at that time in the season.

Virginia was ranked # 1 for a while that season

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:36 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
nickmiles wrote:

Modify message

It amazed me how few schools lined up for him before he got to Wazzou. He's nutty in a different way, but he always gets results.

I really wonder what happened at Texas Tech. Too bad that Houston Homer (an alumnae) isn't around for insight. Oh and f Craig James.

For the same reason that teams like Wisconsin fire Chryst. They used the James thing as a pretext.

Under Leach Tech wok between 8-10 games annually and beat one or more of OU, A&M, and UT. That didn’t satisfy Tech for some reason so the fired him and have been irrelevant since the day he walked out of Lubbock.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:40 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
nickmiles wrote:

My favorite thing I saw yesterday is that Scott Woodward as Athletic Director has signed both Jimbo and Brian Kelly to those monster contracts.

It amazes me that schools' Boards of Trustees allow those idiotic contracts for new coaches. Especially at schools that aren't gambling on massive turnarounds.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:38 am 

From The Athletic about Iowa:

Longtime Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News columnist David Jones compared this Iowa team to the 2004 Penn State squad, and that’s the perfect analogy. Those Nittany Lions allowed only 15.3 points per game to rank fifth nationally. They also scored only 17.7 points per game to finish 113th out of 120 teams. The head coach’s son, Jay Paterno, was the quarterbacks coach. Iowa’s offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach is Brian Ferentz.

That Penn State squad finished 4-7. At midseason, Iowa appears headed toward a similar campaign.

Are people telling me nepotism doesn't work? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
hawkeye fans are not happy and kirk is getting shitty with reporters. I'm excited to see how this all plays out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:05 am 

hnd wrote:
hawkeye fans are not happy and kirk is getting shitty with reporters. I'm excited to see how this all plays out.

This is truly the first time I've seen reporters fight back at the Ferentz regime and I've got my popcorn.

I feel Kirk can leave when he wants but needs to make changes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
hnd wrote:

This is truly the first time I've seen reporters fight back at the Ferentz regime and I've got my popcorn.

I feel Kirk can leave when he wants but needs to make changes.

There's still quite a few more games to go. Kirk has absolutely nowhere to look but the mirror. He's gonna have to to sit and take it.

On the flipside...it's not like there's a better option waiting in the wings.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next