It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
A national power would have refs in their pocket and the benefit of calls.

Still nope.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Anyways, you acknowledge it was the right call. The only question is if 1 player or 2 players were engaged in pass interference.

Not if it was on #7

He ran straight and turned. There were no arms out.

They could have called it on the other receiver. They didnt though.
Ok fine. Let's change the call to the other guy. Problem solved!

Be mad at Kelly for his horrible playcall. He didn't need to run that play and Notre Dame deserved to lose because of it.

You cant change the call now.

Im glad you enjoyed the loss. I enjoyed the game, too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:26 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Looking from the other angle, a call on #7 is a pretty horrible call in that situation.

The call on #20 didn't really have an impact on the play. That looks like a mutual body hug but I think what hurts the ND guy there is that he does actually try to keep moving forward. He'd have been better off just letting the FSU guy hold onto him. That said, I understood why they called it on #20. But, I guess they didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:27 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
You and other people are the ones who want to reopen the analysis of whether the play was a penalty or not. I'm fine with using the result of the play as factually correct.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Sounds like we both had good days!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:28 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ok. I'll just assume you haven't seen any clips of the play then because that's the only way this thread makes sense.

Ill just assume that you havent looked at the alternate angle posted by Dr Ken that shows the difference.

Ill also assume you've missed the countless articles, interviews and blogs arguing about what you call a clear cut penalty. I guess a ton of people disagree with you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:30 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
You and other people are the ones who want to reopen the analysis of whether the play was a penalty or not. I'm fine with using the result of the play as factually correct.

Im just saying you cant say "well the other guy DID commit a foul" and it makes the original call right.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Sounds like we both had good days!

I think mine was probably a little better. Rooting for someone is always better than rooting against someone.

Love is better than Hate, ya know what Im sayin?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:30 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Looking from the other angle, a call on #7 is a pretty horrible call in that situation.
No it isn't. The ND WR is going right into a backing up defensive back. He doesn't have a right to run any route he wants. It was more questionable than the blatantly obvious other OPI but you can clearly tell the jobs of the two receivers on that play.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:31 pm 

Notre Dame lost mostly because they couldn't stop Winston in the second half.

I think the call was ticky/tacky to flat out incorrect, but what are you gonna do?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:32 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I think mine was probably a little better. Rooting for someone is always better than rooting against someone.

Yeah, but I got the result I wanted. You have to try and rationalize the results instead of accepting that they deserved to lose.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:36 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yeah, but I got the result I wanted. You have to try and rationalize the results instead of accepting that they deserved to lose.

I believe I made a post one or two above yours, not only admitting they deserved to lose, but detailing why.

Also rooting against a team is usually indicative of a deeper unhappiness with one's own team. So really, you've lost before you even start the hating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:38 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I believe I made a post one or two above yours, not only admitting they deserved to lose, but detailing why.
So who cares about the last play then?

They deserved to lose. They did. The only reason to worry about a bad official call is if it cost you a game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:40 pm 

:lol:

The call was being discussed, so I commented on it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:42 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

...because another fan was acting like it cost them the game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:43 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Hank hasnt been approving his posts with me lately

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:46 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Also rooting against a team is usually indicative of a deeper unhappiness with one's own team. So really, you've lost before you even start the hating.
:lol: My team is horrible. I want Notre Dame to lose.
When they were good, I still wanted Notre Dame to lose. Don't get some of that classic ND arrogance please. I want Indiana to lose every game too. It's ok to root against teams.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Hank hasnt been approving his posts with me lately

Well, you also posted this article.
Quote:
Notre Dame Coach Explains Why The Penalty Call That Lost Them The Florida State Game Was Wrong

I missed the part where you said the coach was wrong for thinking that cost them the game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:47 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
No it isn't. The ND WR is going right into a backing up defensive back. He doesn't have a right to run any route he wants. It was more questionable than the blatantly obvious other OPI but you can clearly tell the jobs of the two receivers on that play.

Isolating on those two players, #7 and the DB, if no other contact were occurring on that side of the field, a penalty on that contact in that situation would have been a horrible call.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
:lol: My team is horrible. I want Notre Dame to lose.
When they were good, I still wanted Notre Dame to lose. Don't get some of that classic ND arrogance please. I want Indiana to lose every game too. It's ok to root against teams.

I disagree. Its not arrogance. I think rooting against teams in general is kind of a losing point of view (Ive fallen victim to it myself at times with the Cardinals and Packers)

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Well, you also posted this article.
Quote:
Notre Dame Coach Explains Why The Penalty Call That Lost Them The Florida State Game Was Wrong

I missed the part where you said the coach was wrong for thinking that cost them the game.

That was my response to you saying "Kelly knows it was a penalty" or whatever you said.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:51 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Isolating on those two players, #7 and the DB, if no other contact were occurring on that side of the field, a penalty on that contact in that situation would have been a horrible call.
So now it has gone from questionable to a horrible call?

What both players did was worthy of a penalty in the context of that play. If the play was completely different then of course it may not have been a penalty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I disagree. Its not arrogance. I think rooting against teams in general is kind of a losing point of view (Ive fallen victim to it myself at times with the Cardinals and Packers)
Of course it is arrogance. It's the standard "You are jealous because you aren't ND" just said in a different way.
rogers park bryan wrote:
That was my response to you saying "Kelly knows it was a penalty" or whatever you said.
So Kelly was wrong right? You posted an article of a coach saying something you thought was wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:57 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Of course it is arrogance. It's the standard "You are jealous because you aren't ND" just said in a different way.[/quote]
It's absolutely not arrogance. I just know you root against them and was thinking about rooting against teams in general. Notre Dame hasnt even been that great in recent times to warrant jealousy.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
So Kelly was wrong right? You posted an article of a coach saying something you thought was wrong.

Kelly brought up an interesting point about it being called on #7

But the reason I posted it was because I thought you were saying Kelly had essentially admitted it was a penalty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:59 pm 

Just own what you were saying about how sad it is to be a fan of my team instead of Notre Dame.

Ok, so this is another "I don't disagree with you but I'm going to go on for pages refuting you". My mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So now it has gone from questionable to a horrible call?

What both players did was worthy of a penalty in the context of that play. If the play was completely different then of course it may not have been a penalty.

What do you feel like arguing? Because you're bouncing back and forth.

I thought we were talking about the call being on #7, which I feel is a horrible call in that situation.

Now, you are saying it's a penalty because both ND guys were in the wrong but it wasn't a double-penalty. You can't contribute 40% to a penalty and #20 contributed 55% to a penalty with an additional 5% penalty on #67, so throw the flag on ND.

I don't care if it's a different play or this play. You call the penalty on the actions of the player. My thought experiment to isolate those actions is not my way of changing the play.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:03 pm 

Rick, that is not at all what I was saying. I have been thinking recently about sportsfanhating and rooting against teams in general. Its not an ND thing.

But it seems that you wont just take my word at face value, so I guess you'll take it how you take it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:10 pm 

What do you feel like arguing? Because you're bouncing back and forth.

I thought we were talking about the call being on #7, which I feel is a horrible call in that situation.

Now, you are saying it's a penalty because both ND guys were in the wrong but it wasn't a double-penalty. You can't contribute 40% to a penalty and #20 contributed 55% to a penalty with an additional 5% penalty on #67, so throw the flag on ND.

I don't care if it's a different play or this play. You call the penalty on the actions of the player. My thought experiment to isolate those actions is not my way of changing the play.
With how the play was run, it was a penalty on both players, though it was only called on one.

If the other guy isn't there pushing him from the very start, the whole play is different. It's like if an offensive lineman is downfield. Depending on the play, that can be legal or illegal. If the quarterback was running to the right, it would not have been a penalty. That is what I mean. Actions on a football field can be legal or illegal based on the other things that are happening.

If you are throwing a pass like that then the other WR's are not allowed to block like that. Both of them were wrong, though one was clearly more obvious with it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:12 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Rick, that is not at all what I was saying. I have been thinking recently about sportsfanhating and rooting against teams in general. Its not an ND thing.
You were talking about me, not you. You said I lost just because I root against Notre Dame because of deeper unhappiness with my own team. How else would I take it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
You were talking about me, not you. You said I lost just because I root against Notre Dame because of deeper unhappiness with my own team. How else would I take it?

Yes, I said rooting against ANY team. Notre Dame is not special in this regard. I even gave other examples of me doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:21 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yes, I said rooting against ANY team. Notre Dame is not special in this regard. I even gave other examples of me doing it.
Well, all I can say is that there are a lot of Notre Dame fans who will tell you to your face how special they are. If you were talking about the St. Louis Cardinals you picked a strange place to do it. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:25 pm 

I'm not reading all of this, but I'll go with the die-hard Purdue fan as being the non-biased voice of reason in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:28 pm 

spanky wrote:
I'm not reading all of this, but I'll go with the die-hard Purdue fan as being the non-biased voice of reason in this thread.
I guess I should just never talk sports on here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:29 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:
I guess I should just never talk sports on here.

Please please please please make this happen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 45  Next