It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:51 am 

pizza_Place: Bruno's
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Brian Kelly is an idiot. I'd like to know why in the world he would go for a 2-point conversion when they scored a TD to make it 40-29. That cost them the game.

I'm guessing perhaps it is because the kicker sucks. Did you see the end of the first half?

It's true that Kyle B. had a horrific game. But the odds are that a 2-point conversion still has less of a chance for success.

Kelly, instead of encouraging his player to go out there and perform to his capabilities, instead gives him a vote of no confidence -- and ultimately Kelly picks up his 3rd loss over the past four games. This is good coaching? Not so fast, my friend. We're talking about a kicker who had been rewriting an ND record book that went back well over 100 years!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:57 am 

spanky wrote:
I was wrong about Notre Dame this year. They just aren't a good team. Hope they get a good matchup in a bowl game or else....

They've become depleted on defense, and a lot of the defense is very young. But a bigger problem is bad coaching.

Stupid coaching by Brian Kelly. As in:

1. Against Arizona State, instead of letting Golson settle down in the 1st half by going to the run game (or God forbid letting Malik Zaire take a snap or two), Kelly insists on staying with the air attack -- and gets severely burned.

2. Against NU, Kelly again refuses to go to the run game to burn clock while holding an 11-point lead on the Wildcats in the 2nd half. You have backs who can pick up good yardage, while at the same time do some wearing down of the NU defensive line.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:09 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Brian Kelly is a joke of a coach...& I love it!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:23 am 

Kelly could very easily have a 5-loss team on his hands this year, with Louisville (home) and USC (away) upcoming. A bowl could result in his first 6-loss team here. Let's review:

2010: 8-5
2011: 8-5
2012: 12-1
2013: 9-4
2014: 7-3 so far

I'll submit that there are a LOT of coaches out there who could take this same talent and produce better results. By traditional ND standards, the overall record has become substandard. Even Weis had a good year amid the mediocrity of his tenure. It's obvious now that BK's 2012 was an aberration.

Kelly will have most of the same group back for 2015. If he can't produce with that group, I predict he will bolt. Already he complains about the non-coaching demands on his time, inferring he's not enjoying the overall ND head coach experience.

It's rumored that the Florida Gators are interested in Kelly. Take him now. PLEASE.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:24 am 

It's rumored that other coaches have done worse without getting the talent here that Kelly has

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:35 am 

Let's look ahead to how the 2015 sked begins:

Texas (home)
Virginia (away)
Georgia Tech (home)

Tech is having a great season. ND could easily start 1-2 over those first 3 games.

I don't want to lay 100% of the blame on BK, but he knew what he was getting into and he's the one pulling down the big bucks. I would not at all be surprised if he's thinking about his options regarding coaching vacancies.

ND's administrators need to take a hard look at what they're doing with the program, when every coach since Holtz has struggled. The payouts guys like Weis are still getting are costing the university millions. It's become a nightmare.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:59 am 

Later 2015 games include @Clemson, USC, @Pitt, and @ Stanford -- all potential losses.

When you look at how many close calls this year's Florida State team has had, it's easy to see how ND fell into that category as well. FSU clearly is more beatable than experts had thought, and also Stanford this year has been a disappointment. ND still hasn't beaten a single good team this year -- and now they've begun losing to what you'd have to label as losers.

Kelly keeps trying to "play it safe" by NEVER attempting a fake field goal, fake punt, or trick play (Golson is actually a fine receiver who can make one-handed catches!). His playing not-to-lose is just not working.

What is he saving the bag of tricks for? Apparently there is none. Today's game could've been pulled out of the fire. When your kicker is shanking punts, think about your options on 4th down in midfield. That's where you gamble -- not with a stupid, mediocre & vanilla 2-point attempt that needlessly resulted in 0 points.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
ND is not a good team. It wasn't bad luck. For every ND file or turnover there was one from the Cats equally as detrimental. Trevor had a great game, but there were at least 3 dropped passes that would have put NU on top more easily. Jack Mitchell was clutch. A couple of facts to consider... 21% of the travel roster for NU was at one time a walk-on, NU only punted once all game, and ND hasn't won a game against NU in 19 years (lol. 2-0).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:22 pm 

As I stated elsewhere, NU deserved the win. No question. ND simply couldn't stop them on offense throughout.

ND is POTENTIALLY a good team. What, are you going to say that the FSU game was a fluke and that ND is all that much worse than FSU as far as talent? It's the coaching that's substandard.

Here is the Press question I'd like to ask BK:

"Brian, over the five years of your tenure as Notre Dame head coach, your teams have averaged 3.6 losses per season. Do you feel that the overall record is up to Notre Dame standards, and if not, do you believe we'll have upcoming seasons with fewer than 3 losses?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:31 pm 

The FSU game was a fluke. ND looked pretty average in a bunch of their wins too. The Stanford win doesn't look very meaningful now either.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:38 pm 

They have a very good offense and a very bad defense. Above average

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:55 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:57 pm 

It appears there is a possibility the Irish were slightly overrated by some (nevermind who)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:05 pm 

spanky wrote:
I was wrong about Notre Dame this year. They just aren't a good team. Hope they get a good matchup in a bowl game or else....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:06 pm 

They were talking up how they played 9 true freshmen today on defense. Kell has been there a while now. They should not have recruited badly enough to need 9 true frosh playing.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:11 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
They were talking up how they played 9 true freshmen today on defense. Kell has been there a while now. They should not have recruited badly enough to need 9 true frosh playing.

Depends on the perspective:

a). The "good news" is that they are really young and these guys are getting valuable experience. Look out in the next couple years!*
-or-
b). Kelly has been there a while now. They should not have recruited badly enough to need 9 true frosh playing

*I know there is a lot that can happen between now and then but next years schedule looks tougher than this year's right now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
So the answer is No, right?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:17 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

I believe the answer is:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:26 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Let's give t another decade or so

Just for kicks what constitutes being a power ? We should establish some parameters

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Just for kicks what constitutes being a power ? We should establish some parameters

Not losing to Northwestern is probably a good start for that list.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:53 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Not losing to Northwestern is probably a good start for that list.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:50 am 

Let's look at ND's final drive of the Louisville game. Regardless of the defensive effort, the team was in position to either win with a TD or go practically right to overtime with an FG.

Louisville's defender blasts through 2 ND o-line players and Golson has no chance to make a play. The FG unit comes on and the hold is iffy.

Kelly is rapidly approaching an average of 4 losses per season (currently at 3.80 ); a loss to USC puts him at that mark. These aren't the records of a "power." The record won't even earn Top 25. This is failure by any ND standard.

We've seen it all before. Next will be transfers out of the program, more excuses, and promises that next season will be "the one." Looking at the strength of the opposition, as I pointed out before, another mediocre season is very likely.

Kelly knows that his ass is now on the line. His joking replies to the media regarding the Florida job replaced what should have been an outright statement that he'll be back for 2015. He won't be fired prior to the end of the 2015 season. But the likelihood of his being here for 2016, in my opinion, has become meager.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:05 am 

I might add that obviously two to three years from now, ND could well have one of the nation's top defenses, barring transfers and early exits to the NFL. But I doubt very much that Kelly will still be here as their coach.

Coaches Faust, Holtz, Davie, Willingham, and Weis all went on to become head coaches elsewhere-- only Davie remained out of coaching for an extended period. You can add Kelly to the list, most likely after 2015.

When his hiring was announced, my brother commented that we'll now find out if ND's football mediocrity has been due to coaching or "something else." It may well be something else, like bad administrators. But regardless, there's no easy answer. In the meantime, I'm sure Swarbrick has dusted off his short-list of potential hires.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
USC 49
ND 7

Still 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:40 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
"They got punched in the nose today," Kelly said.

"They"? Just as he singled out his kicker the last two games, Kelly likes to pass blame to everyone but himself. What a douche.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:49 am 

That's exactly right.

It should be clear now why I posted Kelly as a douchebag recently. That team couldn't have been more poorly prepared or coached. This is blue-chip talent getting steamrolled by a 4-loss team (with a USC coach in only his second year and following a damaging probation period).

All week long Kelly commented on how "close" the team was, as in narrow defeats.

We've moved on to embarrassing routs. Now you can also see why I called ND the "laughingstock" of college FB.

The only thing they're coming "close" to is a losing record. If I were the A.D. right now, I'd get with Fr. Jenkins and advocate that no bowl be pursued/accepted. Once that's settled, I'd meet with Kelly and give him a stern warning: More than a couple of 2015 losses, and you're GONE. PERIOD.

There are plenty of fine coaches out there who could come in and AT LEAST STOP THE BLEEDING.

End of rant.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:35 am 

2015 National Champs!

goldendomer calling it!

https://notredame.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=335&mid=176904160&sid=961&tid=176904160&style=1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:00 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Someone should let him know about Keepingscores board.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:07 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
conns7901 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Someone should let him know about Keepingscores board.

:x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 45  Next