It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:22 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
NCAA got no problem with tobacco use... they just want their cut. Marlboro Bowl anyone?

I smell MAC automatic tie-in!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Tim Beckman has lost 22 pounds so far this season. Mostly brain weight.

Here's the most depressing column segment I've ever read - looking for promise from an Indiana team that hasn't won a conference game in a couple years before winning by 2 TDs on homecoming day at Illinois with a backup QB -

Marcus Jackson wrote:
If the Illini (2-6, 0-4) need reassurance that things can get better, they should just look across the field at the program that extended their Big Ten losing streak to 10 games Saturday.

The Hoosiers are operating under a second-year coaching staff, and though they haven’t been winning games, they’ve been competitive. Illinois has not been. During their five-game losing streak, the Illini have been outscored 194-62.

“You’re looking at some programs that have built some continuity, and that’s exactly what we’re trying to do,” Beckman said. “You want it to happen fast, just like everybody does. You want to be successful as fast as you possibly can, but right now, we’re not. We’ve got to evaluate the things again that we’re doing and create things that can help our players be successful and this program be successful.”

Fuck us all if we're trying to be Indiana Football. Sorry RFDC, but Christ....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I never ever thought I would see the day when Illinois State had a better Football team than Illinois.
I gotta believe that the Illinois Athletic situation will implode by the end of the Football season & Mike Thomas will get fired. There are too many Illinois alumni who are pissed off & who will threaten to stop donating money to the school. This clusterfuck is going to be very very costly for Illinois, on top of having to pay Zook & Webers contracts for a couple of years.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:39 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
I think Groce will probably save Thomas' job. He's going to be good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
I really don't think the problem is Thomas... the problem is no one wants to coach football at Illinois. Beckman sucks, sure. But he was like the 10th choice. If Illinois wants a big name football coach, they are going to have to take one that has already been shamed in the coaching community.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:42 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I think Groce will probably save Thomas' job. He's going to be good.

Yea, I don't mind the Groce hire as much as the Beckman hire. I'm rooting for Groce. I cant bring myself to root for a guy who is as dis-likable as Beckman.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:43 pm 

Tim Beckman has lost 22 pounds so far this season. Mostly brain weight.

Here's the most depressing column segment I've ever read - looking for promise from an Indiana team that hasn't won a conference game in a couple years before winning by 2 TDs on homecoming day at Illinois with a backup QB -

Marcus Jackson wrote:
If the Illini (2-6, 0-4) need reassurance that things can get better, they should just look across the field at the program that extended their Big Ten losing streak to 10 games Saturday.

The Hoosiers are operating under a second-year coaching staff, and though they haven’t been winning games, they’ve been competitive. Illinois has not been. During their five-game losing streak, the Illini have been outscored 194-62.

“You’re looking at some programs that have built some continuity, and that’s exactly what we’re trying to do,” Beckman said. “You want it to happen fast, just like everybody does. You want to be successful as fast as you possibly can, but right now, we’re not. We’ve got to evaluate the things again that we’re doing and create things that can help our players be successful and this program be successful.”

Fuck us all if we're trying to be Indiana Football. Sorry RFDC, but Christ....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Indiana football is now the model for Illinois! I LOVE it!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
I really don't think the problem is Thomas... the problem is no one wants to coach football at Illinois. Beckman sucks, sure. But he was like the 10th choice. If Illinois wants a big name football coach, they are going to have to take one that has already been shamed in the coaching community.

Exactly...& I had just the guy...Mike Leach. Or Bobby Petrino perhaps?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:48 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Exactly...& I had just the guy...Mike Leach. Or Bobby Petrino perhaps?

Petrino or Butch Davis. Unfortunately, Petrino won't want any part of us after his brother already walked out. Mark Richt might be available about the time Beckman gets canned (after next season).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:52 pm 

Todd Monken probably would have been a reasonable choice but he never has had head coaching experience and they never talked to him. But, he has strong Illinois ties.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:54 pm 

Word on the street is his entire staff is going to be shit canned, but he will remain.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Magliozzi's
Seems like a bad precedent to set. How many assistants were holdovers from the Zook regime?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Word on the street is his entire staff is going to be shit canned, but he will remain.

The Chicago Bear method !!! Can't win the big one? Replace OC a few times, DC, quarterbacks coach,............

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
@dan_bernstein: My #Illinois source can't yet confirm Beckman firing rumors, but does say there's a "good chance" it happens.

He's stepping on Terry's bit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Didn't it take forever to hire the coaching staff the first time?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:52 am 

If Beckman is fired, yet the AD remains.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a joke. Yet, typical. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's - Sausage
Not that I want to see Dave Doeren leave NIU, but it's going to happen. He would be a solid hire for Illinois.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 pm 

Per Mike Thomas, Beckman stays.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Per Mike Thomas, Beckman stays.

So Bernstein was right.

Of course, if he'd been fired, Bernstein would have been right as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:49 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Good luck with that.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:56 pm 

He was never going to get fired. After one season in Thomas' first year on the job? And after they paid buyouts to the Zooker, Weber, and the women's basketball coach? Bernstein probably knows one guy and this one guy and his turtle neck-wearing douchebag I-fund friends probably think they are influential boosters, when they aren't, and voiced his opinion about Beckman's job performance to Dan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 pm 

Zizou wrote:
He was never going to get fired. After one season in Thomas' first year on the job? And after they paid buyouts to the Zooker, Weber, and the women's basketball coach? Bernstein probably knows one guy and this one guy and his turtle neck-wearing douchebag I-fund friends probably think they are influential boosters, when they aren't, and voiced his opinion about Beckman's job performance to Dan.

The thing with Beckman's contract is that it is cheaper to fire him now. His buyout goes up $400K per year he is employed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm 

I know it was a cheap buyout but I never took the talk seriously. I'd believe it if he wasn't Thomas' hire. I still think, barring a complete dumpster fire next season, that he'll get three years. Firing a guy after two years is not so uncommon these days. It happened to Turner Gill and Jon Embree. The Southern Miss coach got axed after one year but they were 12-2 last season and sunk to 0-12.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:20 pm 

Zizou wrote:
I know it was a cheap buyout but I never took the talk seriously. I'd believe it if he wasn't Thomas' hire. I still think, barring a complete dumpster fire next season, that he'll get three years. Firing a guy after two years is not so uncommon these days. It happened to Turner Gill and Jon Embree. The Southern Miss coach got axed after one year but they were 12-2 last season and sunk to 0-12.

I fully expect there to be sweeping changes on his coaching staff. They were pathetically uncompetitive this season. Very reminiscent of the early Zook years before Guenther canned his coaching staff and brought in some real coaches.

If they go 0-12 next year (which is entirely possible), he is toast.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:04 am 

Wooo hooo Indiana will have one win on the schedule next year.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Right...What's a Cubit?

Illini name Cubit offensive coordinator
Illinois announced former Western Michigan coach Bill Cubit as the team's new offensive coordinator Monday.

Cubit served eight seasons as head coach at Western Michigan, where he went 51-47 overall and played in three bowls games but was let go.
"I am very excited to have an experienced coach like Bill Cubit join the Illini football staff as he has always been known to have an outstanding football mind,” Illinois head coach Tim Beckman said in a statement. “I’ve known Bill and coached against him for several years. He has had many extremely productive offensive teams during his career. Bill has called plays for many years as an offensive coordinator and as a head coach, and has developed several outstanding quarterbacks.”

Former co-offensive coordinator Billy Gonzales has been moved to wide receivers coach. Co-offensive coordinator Chris Beatty recently was released by Beckman.

Cubit will be challenged to find quick answers for an offense that finished last in the Big Ten last season.
“I’m very excited to have the opportunity join Tim Beckman here at Illinois,” Cubit said in a statement. “I have a lot of respect for him and his teams. I’m enthused about joining a great staff and being a part of the Illinois football tradition. I look forward to getting to work immediately and competing for a Big Ten championship.”

His 2011 Western Michigan squad set records for points (459), touchdowns (58), pass attempts (554), completions (369), passing yards (4,385), total yards (5,960), offensive plays (945), first downs (320), passing first downs (204), kick returns (63), kick return yardage (1,409) and total return yards (1,658).
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/br ... 4899.story

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:04 pm 

Cubit wrote:
I’m enthused about joining a great staff and being a part of the Illinois football tradition. I look forward to getting to work immediately and competing for a Big Ten championship.”

Illinois found the only coach in America that doesn't own a TV.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:04 pm 

Quote:
"We had 22 interceptions during camp, and (in games) we haven't come close to picking some balls off," coach Tim Beckman said.

Evidence of a problem with the defense, apparently.

Kill me now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:30 pm 

Quote:
"We had 22 interceptions during camp, and (in games) we haven't come close to picking some balls off," coach Tim Beckman said.

Evidence of a problem with the defense, apparently.

Kill me now.

The defense is an absolute joke. Except for those few Koenig years, Illinois has set the bar for defensive futility.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next