It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Timepieces
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Do you guy carry timepieces? I guess it's a bit old school, but I have a fascination with timepieces for some reason. And I'm really into alternate power supplies. So I have a standard battery powered quartz pocket watch (my wife got me one with a coin on the clamshell, I also have a thing for old coins), and a solar powered watch (eco drive that's near 20 years old and doesn't hold charge anymore, needs a new capacitor), a gravity powered clock in my living room, a couple hourglass at my desk at work... and I recent got a new watch... a automatic mechanical divers watch while a friend of mine was in Switzerland. I'm being made fun of at work because apparently watches are for old men. But I still think they're cool af. Makes me wonder if you guys think that's old fogey ahit or is it a fashion statement? I just dig collecting them.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject: Re: Timepieces
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I carry a small computer on me that tells me the time.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Darkside wrote:
Do you guy carry timepieces? I guess it's a bit old school, but I have a fascination with timepieces for some reason. And I'm really into alternate power supplies. So I have a standard battery powered quartz pocket watch (my wife got me one with a coin on the clamshell, I also have a thing for old coins), and a solar powered watch (eco drive that's near 20 years old and doesn't hold charge anymore, needs a new capacitor), a gravity powered clock in my living room, a couple hourglass at my desk at work... and I recent got a new watch... a automatic mechanical divers watch while a friend of mine was in Switzerland. I'm being made fun of at work because apparently watches are for old men. But I still think they're cool af. Makes me wonder if you guys think that's old fogey ahit or is it a fashion statement? I just dig collecting them.

I fell asleep halfway through this. I woke up and read the rest, I don't know why.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Casio G-Shock bitches and bitchettes!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:58 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Casio G-Shock bitches and bitchettes!

Classic. Does it have the super green light?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:59 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I fell asleep halfway through this. I woke up and read the rest, I don't know why.

Because time keeps on tickin ticking tickin....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Darkside wrote:

I feel like a cuckoo clock would be an appropriate addition.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:32 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I agree. I'd love one but you see with our cat... it just wouldn't work.

I get your knock on me but I still think it's be pretty fly to have a cuckoo clock. They're really cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:35 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I get your knock on me but I still think it's be pretty fly to have a cuckoo clock. They're really cool.

Truth be told, I’m a fan as well. Seems like fixing them would be a cool winter hobby.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:41 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Truth be told, I’m a fan as well. Seems like fixing them would be a cool winter hobby.

I hired a horologist to repair a grandfather clock I inherited recently. He was from Peru. A 3rd generation clock maker trying to make it work in America. He was bummed because his teenage son had no interest. I do have an odd fascination with time. I have an idea for an hourglass with non newtonian fluids instead of sand that could be used to measure temperature as well as time. I had a few details to work out but it could be cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I'm with you, Darkside. I love old watches, clocks, typewriters, early industrial machinery of all kinds, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:56 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I carry a small computer on me that tells me the time.

Yeah people say that but I like something that has no reliance on the power supply or the internet. That's why I kind of dig mechanical clocks. Your small computer is useless in a 5 day power outage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I wear a watch on days that I have court and wear a suit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:06 pm 

Franky T wrote:

Go on... I'm sure you're not wearing a g shock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Big fan of mid 20th Century watches. They really seem to hold value and they are beautiful.

On my nightstand is a digital alarm clock that looks like a Heathkit circa 1980. Works like a charm. Fucker keeps waking me up, tho.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:48 pm 

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Big fan of mid 20th Century watches. They really seem to hold value and they are beautiful.

On my nightstand is a digital alarm clock that looks like a Heathkit circa 1980. Works like a charm. Fucker keeps waking me up, tho.

Like this or not as old?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
It really isn't a Heathkit, but it has that vibe. And no, no fancy wood finish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:18 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Go on... I'm sure you're not wearing a g shock.

Nothing too fancy, but not cheap either. It's a Shinola. This one: https://www.shinola.com/mens/watches/th ... s0147.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:20 pm 

OscarTangoEcho wrote:

I still use a digital alarm clock myself - from the late 80's/early 90's :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:30 pm 

Franky T wrote:
OscarTangoEcho wrote:

I still use a digital alarm clock myself - from the late 80's/early 90's :lol:

The worst are the modern alarm clocks that “set themselves”. We used to have a Sony one that was always 4 minutes off and there was no way to correct it. They are also common in hotels these days with the same issue.

Back to the previous conversation, my favorite alarm clock from when I was in high school was the kind that the numbers flipped as the time changed - like Bill Murray woke up to in Groundhog Day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
My husband likes watches. He bought that Omega Swatch watch last year or whenever. He never buys super expensive ones though, not sure why. He likes sunglasses too.

We have a dual alarm clock. I don't love having to get out of bed to turn it off. I had this alarm clock growing up. Loved it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've got my fucking Dad's old alarm clock. Just cuz I think it's cool to still have it. It must be from the mid to late 70s.

Still keeps time correctly. Radio and alarm still work.

It's a fucking Zenith. :lol: (For all you kids, they went out of business in 1999)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I have my brothers Tag Heuer and my dads Ball wristwatches. They are very nice but I only use them occasionally. Kind of fun to wind them up and set the date before wearing them, but not really all that practical for daily use IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:30 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I am partial to the Casio calculator watch I had as a kid. I think I traded it to one of my classmates for a frog right before summer vacation one year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
If we're talking our favorite watches as kids it's this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: John's

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
This was my go to in Army time until cell phones more or less.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:22 am 

pittmike wrote:

The Indiglo feature is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:15 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The Indiglo feature is pretty cool.

I had one that would automatically turn on the indigo as you flipped the watch into a "viewing position". It just killed batteries like crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
Darkside wrote:

I have an old Seiko watch (battery operated) that I got from my parents when I graduated from college but I dropped it and broke the face and I'm not sure where to get it fixed down here. Might be a challenge to fix but I really liked that watch.

I have two wind watches that I keep in a winder when I don't use them. They were anniversary gifts from my wife over the course of our 31 years. Don't wear them to work but I do wear them when we go out or if we're on vacation, etc.

I like these retro watches from Brew Watches: https://www.brew-watches.com/collections/watches