It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 4/24 The Great One
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Drop In wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The thing Rozner is missing is the reason for the panic. It isn't that Cub fans are finished being patient; it's that they're slowly realizing they've been lied to. They were told that Theo was running baseball operations and could do what he thought was needed to put together a winner. And it's leaked out that Theo thought the best move for his plan was to make the winning post for Darvish and Joe Ricketts wouldn't go into the pocketbook for Theo's move. He needed to put that $32 million profit somewhere else.

I've heard the Darvish story, but what was the original source?

I read it in Wittenmyer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:08 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Here's the info from 2009 on the financing (what a waste of my lunch hour) -

cubs.com wrote:
CHICAGO -- Tom Ricketts apparently is close to lining up three banks to arrange the $450 million financing needed to finalize his family's purchase of the Chicago Cubs.

Sports Business Journal reported Monday that Ricketts has agreements with JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup and Bank of America to commit to the financing needed to close his family's $900 million purchase of the team. That commitment would allow Ricketts to submit his bid to the court that is overseeing the bankruptcy filing of the team's current owner, the Tribune Co. The court would need 30 to 45 days to process the offer, according to the SBJ, and the deal could be closed by July.

Major League Baseball owners must still approve Ricketts, and could do so at their August meeting or call a special meeting to address the matter.

The Cubs have been on the market since April 2007.

Ricketts has raised $400 million for the deal by selling personal stock holdings and planned to borrow the rest. But because of the recession, the Ricketts family has had difficulty in getting the financing to complete the transaction.

So, it looks like they had to finance a total of $500 million. If you figure they're getting about 4% on that, that's debt service of $20 million. Maybe they got 10-years on amort, not sure what banks offer on deals that large, it's about $70 million/year.

Now they are putting up this new deal so soon after liquidating assets for the cash to purchase, their debt obligations are likely to increase as well, which isn't a bad thing necessarily since they are investing in what you presume to be a successful hotel. However, it might be making them sweat some.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:09 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
It does have the feeling of a father making a family building excercise...like making breakfast on mother's day.

"You boys destroyed the house while getting beat up by your sister, now you get to clean it up together."

Mother's Day at the Dolphin household?!?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:13 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

cubs.com wrote:
CHICAGO -- Tom Ricketts apparently is close to lining up three banks to arrange the $450 million financing needed to finalize his family's purchase of the Chicago Cubs.

Sports Business Journal reported Monday that Ricketts has agreements with JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup and Bank of America to commit to the financing needed to close his family's $900 million purchase of the team. That commitment would allow Ricketts to submit his bid to the court that is overseeing the bankruptcy filing of the team's current owner, the Tribune Co. The court would need 30 to 45 days to process the offer, according to the SBJ, and the deal could be closed by July.

Major League Baseball owners must still approve Ricketts, and could do so at their August meeting or call a special meeting to address the matter.

Ricketts has raised $400 million for the deal by selling personal stock holdings and planned to borrow the rest. But because of the recession, the Ricketts family has had difficulty in getting the financing to complete the transaction.

So, it looks like they had to finance a total of $500 million. If you figure they're getting about 4% on that, that's debt service of $20 million. Maybe they got 10-years on amort, not sure what banks offer on deals that large, it's about $70 million/year.

Now they are putting up this new deal so soon after liquidating assets for the cash to purchase, their debt obligations are likely to increase as well, which isn't a bad thing necessarily since they are investing in what you presume to be a successful hotel. However, it might be making them sweat some.

IIRC they financed an even higher amount which briefly raised red flags with MLB (after the sale closed). Oddly I remember that extra short term financing being necessary to satisfy Sam Zell (and permit certain tax breaks he received)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Regular Reader wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

cubs.com wrote:

IIRC they financed an even higher amount which briefly raised red flags with MLB (after the sale closed). Oddly I remember that extra short term financing being necessary to satisfy Sam Zell (and permit certain tax breaks he received)

I'm surprised MLB let that happen after all the trouble they had with McCourt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:20 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I wish their financials were available. Then we could really speculate wildly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
I could listen to Dr. Ken talk accounting all day and all night long.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Irish Boy wrote:
I could listen to Dr. Ken talk accounting all day and all night long.

Kinky. :wink: (not sarcastic!)

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The Score website sucks. Does anyone have a link to this interview or something of that nature?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
The Score website sucks. Does anyone have a link to this interview or something of that nature?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/04/24/ ... ague-team/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:25 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The thing Rozner is missing is the reason for the panic. It isn't that Cub fans are finished being patient; it's that they're slowly realizing they've been lied to. They were told that Theo was running baseball operations and could do what he thought was needed to put together a winner. And it's leaked out that Theo thought the best move for his plan was to make the winning post for Darvish and Joe Ricketts wouldn't go into the pocketbook for Theo's move. He needed to put that $32 million profit somewhere else.

Have you met most Cubs fans? I am a Cubs fan, but I highly doubt the average fan is cursing the Cubs' capital budgeting process. They are cursing the fact that Castro is an idiot, and they think Sveum is a pussy. It is no different than any other "Cubs fatigue". You are overthinking this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:26 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Thanks Speeps, but I still can't get the audio to play on this page. Maybe it's my computer or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Thanks Speeps, but I still can't get the audio to play on this page. Maybe it's my computer or something.

I think it is because I can play it.