It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

:lol:

Spieg's said this on twitter. No they didn't, Spiegel. It's exactly what you said and the context is very clear.

Here's the Trib article:

WSCR-AM 670 host Dan McNeil returned to his sports talk show Friday after taking a leave of absence of several weeks.

McNeil joined his co-host Matt Spiegel on the show just after noon, and explained that he again has been struggling with addiction.

“I did not have a relapse,” he said on the air. “For me, a relapse is when someone goes on a weekend bender. I didn’t. I smoked weed (marijuana) daily and took pain medication (daily).”

This was not the first instance in McNeil’s career of being off the air because of personal issues. Each time, however, he has managed to reconnect with his audience.

“I have not been happy,” McNeil said. “I had a burning desire to be alone. … Very few things that used to give me enormous joy were not working.”

But McNeil said he decided he wanted to return to work.

“I know I’ve let a lot of you down. … I still have some game in me.”

Spiegel, who had been working for weeks with Laurence Holmes during McNeil’s absence, including the first three hours of Friday’s show, then said: “I will not pretend that it is with full-on support and full-on joy (that we welcome you back). We felt betrayed.”

But, in a statement, program director Mitch Rosen said: “We support Mac in his recovery, and welcome him back to the Score. I want to thank Laurence Holmes for adjusting his schedule along with Matt Spiegel and the producers all for their patience and professionalism. Most importantly I want to thank our listeners who have listened on the air and on-line throughout this process.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I think what Mac meant was that a relapse was a little thing.... A bad weekend. He said he went full blown back inot his hell hole. If you know theses things his comments make sense.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
I think what Mac meant was that a relapse was a little thing.... A bad weekend. He said he went full blown back inot his hell hole. If you know theses things his comments make sense.

Not talking about Mac's comments. Thought the thread title made it clear. Spiegel said his quote was out of context. The one where he sounded heartless towards his partner.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:28 pm 

lolz, he didnt go back to a hell hole. vicodin and weed wont do that to you

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
reminds me of the old who you crappin lead in song....LIAR...... LIAR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I think BD was talking about....

“I will not pretend that it is with full-on support and full-on joy (that we welcome you back). We felt betrayed.”

It is what he said, but I think he meant more that they are basically kinda pissed as he is the one who brought them to the Score and he is the one who keeps them employed as the main name of the show and when that guy leaves, never know what is going to happen. So, thats where the need to regain trust comes in and I understand what Spiegs is talking about.

Let me add, that I think Spiegs, finfer and Jay Z need to pick up there game as well.

No more of 'Ya know what we should do....." and then never doing anything. Or they need to put together some dumb parody songs, some games or stuff better than posting Overs and Unders! U want to make that fun, let a listener in on it, for a shit! a Mug! Who cares, but posting this stuff is amazingly dumb. Do they think anyone ever says..."I need to go see what Spiegs said the over would be in false starts!" NO is the answer in case you thought otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Right. But even if he meant it that way, I mean, c'mon, Finfer can Spiegel can't suck from Mac's breasts forever. What if he died in a car crash? Is their attitude gonna be, "Fuck you Mac, did you think about my position at the Score before you died?"

You say he brought them to the Score. Yeah. He did. But where would they both be if Mac never existed? Then Mac has his problems. But they still should be grateful he got them jobs at the Score. Especially Spiegel. He was down and out before Mac got him this midday show. By Spiegel's own admission.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Why is it hard to believe they are mad that he fucked up? It is just like any dad or mentor that did.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Why is it hard to believe they are mad that he fucked up? It is just like any dad or mentor that did.

Ok. That's cool. That wasn't what Big Fan suggested. Not that Big Fan knew exactly what Spiegel meant. It was just a guess. But I think he might be right, from Spiegel's perspective.

Spiegel made a mistake by saying "we" in that "We felt betrayed" quote. He should have just spoken for himself.

Cuz, let's be honest, Zawaski can answer the phones with Larry there the same way he did for Mac. Zawaski isn't gonna go on to be a radio star in this city. Finfer can cue up rejoins for Larry the same way he can for Mac. Mac is the only reason we hear Finfer do shows on the Score. It didn't really effect their day to day lives.

While both probably care about Mac, neither were really effected. Let's not make this more dramatic then what it was, Spiegel. Let's not make it about you. Mac got you the job. If he leaves because of his demons, he still got you the job. Just say thank you and shut up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Spiegs may miss a lot of days, but he doesn't pull this type of shit.

I think it is ok for Matt to say whatever the fuck he wants.

Where or to whom was this quote made anyhow?

I said the quote came from the Chicago Tribune in the title. I posted the entire article in the first post of this thread. I put Spiegel's quote in bold. You're the 2nd person in this thread that didn't get it. I thought I made it pretty simple. Guess not. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:00 pm 

That's the negative aspect of Mac's return. More fucking Finfer. I'm sure he'll be all over the airwaves the next two weeks when World Jewry takes over the Score.

Despite this being a total douche move by Mac, I still like him more than Spiegel. Mac could probably kill someone and I'd still think of him as a better human being than Grimace.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

From the "Mac and Spiegel" show. Yes, Friday's show.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Listening is a skill. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
bigfan wrote:
I think BD was talking about....

“I will not pretend that it is with full-on support and full-on joy (that we welcome you back). We felt betrayed.”

It is what he said, but I think he meant more that they are basically kinda pissed as he is the one who brought them to the Score and he is the one who keeps them employed as the main name of the show and when that guy leaves, never know what is going to happen. So, thats where the need to regain trust comes in and I understand what Spiegs is talking about.

Let me add, that I think Spiegs, finfer and Jay Z need to pick up there game as well.

No more of 'Ya know what we should do....." and then never doing anything. Or they need to put together some dumb parody songs, some games or stuff better than posting Overs and Unders! U want to make that fun, let a listener in on it, for a shit! a Mug! Who cares, but posting this stuff is amazingly dumb. Do they think anyone ever says..."I need to go see what Spiegs said the over would be in false starts!" NO is the answer in case you thought otherwise.

I can understand how they would feel that way or have a hard time trusting Mac but this isn't new behavior either. Didn't they kind of know what they were getting into? While Mac has been successful he has never been completely stable and has always been volatile.

Speigel in mo, is a pud. Anytime he has an opportunity to come down on somebody publicly he does.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
I heard probably half of #thereturn. I don't think Dan wants to do this show anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I think that's been true for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Telegram Sam wrote:
I heard probably half of #thereturn. I don't think Dan wants to do this show anymore.

As much as I've maintained that it would be a win-win-win for the station and both shows if Mac were to do afternoons and B&B were to do middays, I'm pretty sure this is never going to happen now. That's too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:05 am 
1000 CLUB

Telegram Sam wrote:

Even if he says he wants to do the show, it's been 2 long stretches in the last year or so where he hasn't been there. Even when he's not in a relapse, he misses at least 1/3 of his shows because he has endless vacation time. He's been costing for quite awhile, there's no reason to expect him to anything different. I'm sure he has a vacation around the corner now that he's back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:16 am 

Im not real confident in Mac working whatever program he's working.

He sounds like a guy who is still lying to himself (but saying the right things out loud)

I hope Im wrong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:27 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Spiegs should own the word betrayed if that is what he meant. I would have been extremely pissed off if I was in his or Finfer's position.

Afternoon Drive...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Yes. They should be pissed as Mac brought them in as part of his crew and then ran away on more than one occasion to flap in the wind. Not cool.

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Spiegs should own the word betrayed if that is what he meant. I would have been extremely pissed off if I was in his or Finfer's position.

Afternoon Drive...

I'm with you on this, Bryan, his heart and mind are miles away. He saw his saving account and needed money so he begged for his job back. This doesn't sound like a reenergized guy crapping thunder in the studio.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Im not real confident in Mac working whatever program he's working.

He sounds like a guy who is still lying to himself (but saying the right things out loud)

I hope Im wrong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm just glad Mac is back and that the issues are being dealt with. I hope he can remain healthy, clean and sober and produce the quality radio I know him capable of for a long time to come. Spiegal should still be kissing the ring Mac wears (figuratively) as he did when he first began on Mac's show. Without Dan, the show is not worth listening to. It was an easy decision to switch over to Carmen and Jurko during Mac's time away. Everyone at the station should be celebrating his return. I'm sure the ratings during his absence will reflect just how much he means to the station.