It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:40 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
It would be hilarious if the Bears signed Mannelly back to be a long-snapper this year.
Sounds like Jim Miller was the other choice. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Another reason why I think it was Bernstein's call is the fact that Bernstein got to introduce him on his show. I know there were other factors. Drinky and Rozner were hosting 9-1. Would have been cruel for them to announce it. But they didn't have to host that day. Why didn't Mannelly and say, Hub, who wasn't in the running to host 9-1, announce Mannelly in the time slot of his new show? That would have been fine.

Mitch wanted Bernstein to show off his hire on his show. Bernstein wanted to do it as well. If it were Dan Hampton, you think Bernstein would have agreed to do it? No. He wouldn't want to introduce a dumb ass cracker to the station on his show. Cuz that was Mitch's hire a few years ago.

Mitch knows he sucks at picking people so he let Bernstein do it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Phil's
Sal Uki wrote:
But will he accept responsibility when/if they suck and ratings tank even more?

He'll blame White Sox baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think it was a decision by management to add a former Bears player in that time slot, pander to Bears fans. They seem to believe that having a former Bear as a host will add or keep listeners, no matter the quality of that host.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ok. At the very least Bernstein liking Mannelly had an influence on Mitch. I'm sure Mitch and Bernstein discussed it in a casual conversation.

Something like this.

Mitch: What do you think of Mannelly, Dan?

Bernstein: He's smart. He can talk. He's the opposite of Dan Hampton.

Mitch: Ok. Gotta always remind me of Hampton, don't you?

Bernstein: :lol:

Now, if the conversation would have went like this, Mitch wouldn't have hired him.

Bernstein: Oy. Yeesh. Bad. Dumb. A younger Dan Hampton.

Mitch: Gotcha.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Ok. At the very least Bernstein liking Mannelly had an influence on Mitch. I'm sure Mitch and Bernstein discussed it in a casual conversation.

Something like this.

Bernstein: He's smart. He can talk. He's the opposite of Dan Hampton.

Mitch: Ok. Gotta always remind me of Hampton, don't you?

Bernstein: :lol:

Now, if the conversation would have went like this, Mitch wouldn't have hired him.

Bernstein: Oy. Yeesh. Bad. Dumb. A younger Dan Hampton.

Mitch: Gotcha.

There were only 2 ex-Bears (Miller being the other) in contention according to the media reports. The other producer's were more or less filling time until the station made a decision on Mac's replacement. Perhaps Bernstein gave his input, but I think the station believed it needed (why, I don't know) an ex-Bears player in that time slot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

Maybe that's true. It looks like it is true. But had Bernstein pushed for his producer, drinky, Mitch would have gave it to him.

Mac would have done so for his producers if he had the power that Bernstein has.

Not saying Bernstein should have pushed for drinky. I agree with him when he says that's not his job. Plus Bernstein thinks drinky is an idiot anyway. Just saying some hosts would do so. Mac being one of them.

The thing is, drinky had no idea he had no shot. Cuz he was campaigning for himself on twitter in the weeks leading up to the decision.

By the way, it's still should be mentioned that Larry telling the world he was taking himself out of the running for middays was such a low move. Cuz he knew it was Mannelly when he posted that facebook crap. What a bag.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:00 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Beardown: Image

Harry: :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Yah, LOL, this guy zinging me with an animated GIF really has me reeling.

Now go back and rearrange your dolls, I think drinky was walking to the left in that video and you had him walking to the right in your little reenactment...Lord knows we don't want you to beat yourself up about this later.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
It would be hilarious if the Bears signed Mannelly back to be a long-snapper this year.

I said the same thing to a buddy of mine. That would have been great.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

BD wrote:
I think it was a decision by management to add a former Bears player in that time slot, pander to Bears fans. They seem to believe that having a former Bear as a host will add or keep listeners, no matter the quality of that host.

Which is ironic from this station. Bernstein taught everybody there to hate the idiot fans that "LOVE THE BAD WHITE PLAYER". Saying that's pretty much code for racism by these fans that do so.

Mannelly was a bad white player. Score people have been gushing over him. He gotta prime time radio gig in this city 2 minutes after he retired. He long snapped for the love of God. So, by their own rationale, THE SCORE hiring Mannelly is a sign that THE SCORE is racist.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Maybe that's true. It looks like it is true. But had Bernstein pushed for his producer, drinky, Mitch would have gave it to him.

Mac would have done so for his producers if he had the power that Bernstein has.

Not saying Bernstein should have pushed for drinky. I agree with him when he says that's not his job. Plus Bernstein thinks drinky is an idiot anyway. Just saying some hosts would do so. Mac being one of them.

The thing is, drinky had no idea he had no shot. Cuz he was campaigning for himself on twitter in the weeks leading up to the decision.

By the way, it's still should be mentioned that Larry telling the world he was taking himself out of the running for middays was such a low move. Cuz he knew it was Mannelly when he posted that facebook crap. What a bag.

It's possible that if Bernstein had pushed for his producer, maybe there would have been a different outcome, but I doubt it. Perhaps he did, we don't know. Saying that, I'm fairly confident that the station was going to hire an ex-Bears player no matter what.

Abattacola probably fooled himself into thinking he had a shot when he got to host on a somewhat regular basis over the last 2 months. It wasn't until news had broke that there would be a new mid-day show that the ex-Bear host angle was rumored almost right away by Feder. It's possible that Abattacola may have heard the rumors previously about an ex-Bear player taking over the role, but didn't think the station would reach out like that after missing on Hampton and having people like himself to choose from (insert joke).

You're correct on Holmes. He was never a candidate, and taking himself out of the race was just his insecurity/sensitivity showing itself disguised by being too busy to work for the mid-day show. I'm still not sure why the station allows him to work for any show that could take one listener away from the morning show.