It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bad News
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Bernstein has the salsa delivered straight to his house too. No one is the wiser.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hayden Fry's Mustache wrote:
last week he was EATING ON AIR. He was chewing Home Run Inn pizza and talking.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/the-s ... -02012016/

About the 11:30 mark. Just terrible.

:shock: ok it went away after the initial eating, at least. But I had to listen to 5 minutes of Goff and Lawrence 'guy talk' about working out, so you can go to hell.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:19 pm 

Every old fart's favorite radio host, Steve Dahl, used to do this regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:14 pm 

Bernstein and Larry are probably the only two actual professional radio people at WSCR. The rest are lunkheaded troglodytes with the rhetoric and reasoning of simians. It's like Goff never mastered the basics of radio. Doesn't seem like a bad guy but he offers nothing provocative to bring listeners in and keep them tuned to the station. It's partly his own fault but the station bears some of the blame because I see this personality type in most of their younger hosts. I think management has sold these guys a false dream of radio stardom if they toil in the trenches long enough. The A to B to C path might work for a trade profession, where extensive practice of your craft tends to make you an expert. That doesn't apply to radio. Guys like Mac and North didn't do 10 years as producers/background guys. Mac was a producer for about 4-5 years? And that was at a time when there were hardly any sports radio jobs. You either have the personality or you don't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Zizou wrote:
Bernstein and Larry are probably the only two actual professional radio people at WSCR. The rest are lunkheaded troglodytes with the rhetoric and reasoning of simians. It's like Goff never mastered the basics of radio. Doesn't seem like a bad guy but he offers nothing provocative to bring listeners in and keep them tuned to the station. It's partly his own fault but the station bears some of the blame because I see this personality type in most of their younger hosts. I think management has sold these guys a false dream of radio stardom if they toil in the trenches long enough. The A to B to C path might work for a trade profession, where extensive practice of your craft tends to make you an expert. That doesn't apply to radio. Guys like Mac and North didn't do 10 years as producers/background guys. Mac was a producer for about 4-5 years? And that was at a time when there were hardly any sports radio jobs. You either have the personality or you don't.

These clowns watched Mac mail it in every day. Taught them that you don't even have to watch the games. Just pick up the papers in the morning for show prep.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:28 pm 

Mac paid his dues early on. He worked at his craft and worked at knowing sports. He didn't like basketball and didn't pretend to be interested. He liked football and kept in contact with enough people to have an insider's grasp. He admits to not liking basketball and claimed to love hockey, but probably could explain more about the former than the latter. The sports/talk landscape has changed as we've gone from calls to faxes to email and now Twitter. Hell, this board has changed and evolved in the process.

You may say he mailed it in but he had enough talent, knowledge, and insight to know the business more than well enough to keep most entertained. Bernstein hates hearing that he got in on North's coattail but that is exactly how he arrived. Most of you forget who preceded him, and how well he is doing. Not a fan of that guy but I respect how he has worked his way to where he is. And yeah, I'd put his NU pedigree up against Duke.

For various reasons, including having T. Boers introduce him to me, I wanted and hoped that Gofficus would be better than he is. I thought he could/would bring it to the next level. But he seems lazier and less self-aware by the day. But I don't blame him, I blame SCR and by extension CBS. You may consider the ESPN guys "vanilla" but they don't stutter (Boers), speak too colloquially or too redundantly (listen to Goff ask a question, brevity is beyond him), and they support and respect their brand.

Truth be told, Bernstein has the chops but the rest of him has become disingenuous in what he has to say. He talks down to people on Monday and yet adopts their arguments by Friday. Having a parrot as a partner does him no good and it allows him to mail it in by showing up 5 minutes before the show, and out the door after cutting the requisite spots after his show. He likes his opinions he just can't handle the argument (Dad) and the fear of being wrong. Debate team served him well enough but he now has the crutches of shouting over his caller and the caller's voice being reduced (by the engineer) to the point of needing to shout in response. His "When did I say that" is a cop out.

Leery is not a bad guy but he's gotten a big head that has little real or timely knowledge to justify his attitude. It's cool to be a geek, but squelch the tough guy act. Just as there are tough guys who are geeks, but they don't go around flexing on any or every body, mostly because they know better.

As for the rest. This listener's challenge is to be willing to listen long enough to first care, and then listen again. It's like what I think of beer and those who brag about their home/craft brews. Can you drink it (listen)? Can you drink it (listen)? Did it make you sick (PTFB)? I don't begrudge those who drink (listen) to what they like, just don't tell me it's the best.

Maybe more vacation for a few would make some of the rest seem/sound novel enough to care/listen. Maybe I'll have reason to listen again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:09 am 
1000 CLUB

I hope Goff is gonna give updates about his life during his vacation. I would be pissed if I missed the fact that he had a frozen pizza at his crib. Lord knows he thinks that's a big story. And I agree.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Time for another Score Search.