It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spiegel on the Brewers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Missing the point. Ryan Braun is the "face" of the franchise - their most valuable player signed for the longest amount of time*. It makes more sense in the NBA for players to go to the media and ask for "help" from the front office, but, like it or not, the same rule applies here.

Using Spiegel's example, having Craig Counsell go to the media with the same message would be akin to Todd Hollandsworth doing the same with the '04 Cubs.

And like Mac just said, Braun's right. If the rotation is full of proven arms or potential stars like Gallardo it'd be one thing, but that rotation sucked on paper and now it sucks on the field. You can't send a message to the pitchers by saying "we all need to do a better job" because even if they (the pitchers) hear the message loud and clear, it won't change a thing in terms of performance. The Brewers made the '08 playoffs on the back of C.C. Sabathia; they can't expect to make it in again this year without a couple live arms in their rotation down the stretch.

* I could be wrong about this, but without checking I think Braun and/or Prince & Gallardo have the longest contracts on the 25 man roster.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:58 am 

suckers playground wrote:

* I could be wrong about this, but without checking I think Braun and/or Prince & Gallardo have the longest contracts on the 25 man roster.

Actually Gallardo is still on his rookie deal pretty cheap. Only 430k. Suppan is on a 4yr 42mil deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Longest, not largest.

/cue http://instantrimshot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ryan Braun has proven he is NOT a team player and I think the Brewers should ship him right out of town, as this cancer is sure to create problems for the rest of the team . I suggest they trade him straight up to the Cubs for Soriano. :wink: