It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Right here for you.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Armand's, 7400 w Grand in Elmwood Park.
We read you, and we love that you're listening and thinking about the show.

Some of your points are solid, and the feedback is genuinely helpful.

Some of your points are venomous, and seem perhaps intended to just try and be mean-spirited for sport, but we can handle that too.

All taken in context. I look at the hate, the loathing, as skin thickener. I asked for this gig, and welcome it. I'm well aware that I'm a pin cushion often talking to pin pushers.

I'm having a great time. I feel like I'm getting better at this particular job every day, which is the goal, with everything in my life. As a host, I'm not a finished project, and lord knows the show isn't, so some bumpy rides are par for the course. That said, I know how to do this, this radio show thing, and I'll keep on believing in what I think is good radio. Getting there is a process.

I had a great time driving this week...with the cavalcade of sportswriters, none of whom I chose by the way, but all of whom I enjoyed for different reasons. Some days better than others; different guys, different strengths. I know some of you listened...imagine many of you punched the freaking button, so be it. It was a good week.

Driving the bus, like this week and with Hit and Run on Sundays, is nice, to get me back in touch with a level of calm, simply conversational Spiegel which has been occasionally hard to access with Mac...I'll give you that. We're going to talk about that, and a lot of stuff, tomorrow. One thing you guys have written about is the manic energy sometimes, and us fighting over air space and funniness, and guess what; you're right.

Evolution, people. I ain't skeered. Mac and I communicate well, even when one of us is being a dipshit. We're gonna be stronger every week.

Post subject: Re: Right here for you.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Matt, your trashing of LaRussa and his ruining the game with constant pitching changes was sweet music to my ears.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:55 pm 

For what it's worth I'm a fan. Good work going after Telander and Greenstein on the steroids issue. Those clowns need to wake up.

Looking forward to hit and run tomorrow. I'll put the British Open on mute at 9am.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
I'm anxiously awaiting your tribute concerts for Kajagoogoo and Saga.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has sports radio. And the quality of sports radio needs to be guarded by listeners with opinions. Who's gonna do it? You, Spiegel? You, Mac? We have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Chet Coppock and you curse the message board. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what we know: that Coppock's early retirement, which won't be tragic, will probably save sports radio. And our existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves sports radio...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, on boats and camping trips and in places like Wrigleyville and Mackeyland, you want us on that board. You need us on that board.

We use phrases like integrity of the segment, ass-licking society and more attitude, more bite...we use these phrases as the backbone to idle time spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. We have neither the time nor the inclination to explain ourselves to two large men who rise and sleep under the blanket of the very listenership we provide, then question the manner in which we provide it! We'd rather you—Mac and Spiegs—just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, we suggest you improve your show and answer our posts. Either way, we don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Last edited by Jalapenos and More on Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
:salut: :salut: :salut:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:42 pm 

Jalapenos and More wrote:
You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has sports radio. And the quality of sports radio needs to be guarded by listeners with opinions. Who's gonna do it? You, Spiegel? You, Mac? We have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Chet Coppock and you curse the message board. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what we know: that Coppock's early retirement, which won't be tragic, will probably save sports radio. And our existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves sports radio...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, on boats and camping trips and in places like Wrigleyville and Mackeyland, you want us on that board. You need us on that board.

We use phrases like integrity of the segment, ass-licking society and more attitude, more bite...we use these phrases as the backbone to idle time spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. We have neither the time nor the inclination to explain ourselves to two large men who rise and sleep under the blanket of the very listenership we provide, then question the manner in which we provide it! We'd rather you—Mac and Spiegs—just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, we suggest you improve your show and answer our posts. Either way, we don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

:lol: :cheers: :salut:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

Great job! You got the essence of the Colonel!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Speigel, just acknowledge that no one in the entire free world besides you and mac wants to hear Soddy on the radio EVER and that you suffered a terrible lack of judgement by bringing him on again. Do that and I'll be happy to say that you learned from all of this and might even possess the capacity to improve.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:52 pm 

Heh.

The 2nd, and clearly most bothersome to you guys, Soddy appearance was in direct response to a listener's question about the outfield grass at the All Star Game. We wanted an answer and called the guy who had one. Then we find out live that the extremely tasty Kerry Sayers and Soddy have a thing, and had some fun with that. It was 4 minutes of radio in a 20 hour week.

When it comes back in production the next day, it feels like more.

Soddy's good people. But yes, Shakes, there's a limit to "9 guys on his hose" jokes somewhere, and if we're not there, we're close, and we know it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Don't worry about the critics, Matt.
You need to spend more time working on "Wind Him Up" for that Saga tribute gig.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:02 pm 

Can Brian's Mojito even go 3 songs deep on Saga? And he's their biggest fan. Only fan.

Not "worried" about the critics....bring it on. It's what it's all about. It's what makes The Score unique...like Terry ripping me and me standing up to him in transition, or him shitting on Bruce Wolf and then Bruce calling in.

Just letting you know that we hear it, we read it, and then we disregard what's useless. What percentage of it I find useless, well, that's personal discretion.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
meatpants wrote:
We read you, and we love that you're listening and thinking about the show.

Some of your points are solid, and the feedback is genuinely helpful.

Some of your points are venomous, and seem perhaps intended to just try and be mean-spirited for sport, but we can handle that too.

All taken in context. I look at the hate, the loathing, as skin thickener. I asked for this gig, and welcome it. I'm well aware that I'm a pin cushion often talking to pin pushers.

I'm having a great time. I feel like I'm getting better at this particular job every day, which is the goal, with everything in my life. As a host, I'm not a finished project, and lord knows the show isn't, so some bumpy rides are par for the course. That said, I know how to do this, this radio show thing, and I'll keep on believing in what I think is good radio. Getting there is a process.

I had a great time driving this week...with the cavalcade of sportswriters, none of whom I chose by the way, but all of whom I enjoyed for different reasons. Some days better than others; different guys, different strengths. I know some of you listened...imagine many of you punched the freaking button, so be it. It was a good week.

Driving the bus, like this week and with Hit and Run on Sundays, is nice, to get me back in touch with a level of calm, simply conversational Spiegel which has been occasionally hard to access with Mac...I'll give you that. We're going to talk about that, and a lot of stuff, tomorrow. One thing you guys have written about is the manic energy sometimes, and us fighting over air space and funniness, and guess what; you're right.

Evolution, people. I ain't skeered. Mac and I communicate well, even when one of us is being a dipshit. We're gonna be stronger every week.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j2zme5jlk2n

Last edited by NearWessSideHussra on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:44 pm 

meatpants wrote:

Not "worried" about the critics....bring it on. It's what it's all about. It's what makes The Score unique...like Terry ripping me and me standing up to him in transition, or him shitting on Bruce Wolf and then Bruce calling in.

Just letting you know that we hear it, we read it, and then we disregard what's useless. What percentage of it I find useless, well, that's personal discretion.

Image[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:56 pm 

Heh. That's a remarkably inaccurate depiction of my mental state there Hussra.

Picard was pretty good at his gig though, so thanks.

Tea, Earl Grey, hot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
meatpants wrote:

Tea, Earl Grey, hot.

that was a pretty badass song though

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line

Late to the party, but +25 for that one. :salut: :salut:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Marinos-EGV
Matt-

I'm sure you saw my complaint since it looks like the read most of them. My only two requests are to get the fake laughter under control (which i know Mac and you have both acknowledged) and tone down the screaming. My biggest annoyance is that when you get all worked up, then you either turn your mic off or back off the mic and continue to yell causing that horrible echo. I think the show needs some work, but I think the two of you can fix it.*

*Or else we might get a full time LoHo show back on the air and no one wants that!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:32 pm 

Yeah I saw that Greg. The backing off the mic thing was in response to Mac thinking, rightfully so, that I was screaming ON the mic too much.

I think the consensus is....less screaming. The common thread.

I'm an excitable human. Passion is good. The balance will be found.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hey Meatpants, is Murph officially gone from the Score? He's still on the Score's web site.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:13 pm 

Not gone. Did an hour after us at Murphy's Bleachers a couple weeks back, remember?

I guess he'll fill in sometimes, not sure. Not my concern.

I think Murph has value...nobody loves baseball like he does, and he plays at the game of radio in ways no one does anymore. I know a lot of the schtick is old and tired, but there's a place for it somewhere.

I miss Thin Books. Sometimes. Alright, now that I thought of it for 4 seconds, I don't miss it anymore.

I miss the Fan's Court, with bailiff Tommy Williams.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ok. You would think that with all of the subs the Score needed last week, Murph would have been one of them. Unless he can't work with people. I'd imagine he hates you now, Meatpants. He had a war with Mully. No way he could ever work with Boers.

Shit, if they use him it would have to be a solo show I guess. Nobody gets along with him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
meatpants wrote:
I guess he'll fill in sometimes, not sure. Not my concern.

This is a genuine response which I believe people across the board appreciate. Your job is not really going to be directly affected by the hours that Murph has or does not have.
bigtim wrote:
Sorry Beardown, as I told you before, that's not my job. My job is to book guests and do audio production for the show.

Bigtim on the other hand, pretends he doesn't care about the other shows. Unfortunately, his job is directly affected by who listen to other programs on the "station." He doesn't care about listeners or listener counts. He only cares about what guests are on the show.

Goofus and Gallant.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:35 pm 

Quote:
I think Murph has value

Mighty big of you to say that Spiegs considering he was the last SCR guy to top M&M in the ratings. And the June books apparently show that B&B drop out of the top 20 without Murph's lead in.

Granted he lacks the superb wit and work ethic of Terry Boers or the humility of Dan Bernstein. And certainly he can't hold a flame to Danny Mac at the grill.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:41 pm 

I get along with Murph, to clarify any assumption there. Maybe it comes from me being the youngest of 5 very different kids, but I get along with most people.

Murph solo is true Murph, if you're into it or not.

By the way, you guys see how pissed Jenks was after he barely held on just now? Fuck that was fun to watch..screaming in his glove, throwing the chew out with vitriol, and then it looked like he was gonna hurl or cry, or maybe both. He's entertainingly nuts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

meatpants wrote:
I get along with Murph, to clarify any assumption there. Maybe it comes from me being the youngest of 5 very different kids, but I get along with most people.

By the way, you guys see how pissed Jenks was after he barely held on just now? Fuck that was fun to watch..screaming in his glove, throwing the chew out with vitriol, and then it looked like he was gonna hurl or cry, or maybe both. He's entertainingly nuts.

I meant Murph hates you cuz you took his job. Doesn't make sense. Not your fault. But Murph doesn't make sense so he probably resents you.

Jenks is still 21 out of 23 in Save chances. That's still good. He has given up a lot of runs this year. ERA is in the high 3s after todays game. He's been given cushions this year. A lot of 3-run save chances. He's needed it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
meatpants wrote:
I think Murph has value...nobody loves baseball like he does....

What's his value over replacement hosts? ;) Just b/c somebody loves something doesn't necessarily mean he/she knows shit about it. My brother loves hockey but something as simple as a neutral zone trap mystifies him. I think many American hockey fans are similarly ignorant about the actual strategy of the game.

My dad loves football but couldn't explain what a spread formation is, much less why it's become so popular. So yeah, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I come from dumbass stock. I'm sure Reason will be the first to disabuse me of this notion.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

My dad loves football but couldn't explain what a spread formation is, much less why it's become so popular.
[/quote]

I love strippers but can't get a date. So I see what you're saying.

I think Murph is Ok. He should get air time during the baseball season.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:45 pm 

meatpants wrote:

Tea, Earl Grey, hot.

drats, more reluctant to take the bait than marconi dan and then foiled by tea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXMe_Nce_nI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
meatpants wrote:

I was there...Beuhrle didn't have his best stuff, Linebrink has his usual nothing, Thornton was fine and Jenks had just a little better than nothing.

LaRussa baseball.....how many guys can trot to the mound?

A win is a win.

WOO LIFE!!!!