It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Not sure why you think Fitzgerald's doesn't host rock and roll, nor do I get the old people in chairs reference. I've been to a number of rock shows there and everyone was standing throughout. Reasonable prices & a decent beer selection as well.

Tall Midget wrote:
If you've been around long enough to remember how awesome a 1979 Subverts show at Oz was, you know what that makes you? Pretty fucking old! JORR, you are a self-hating senior citizen. I suggest you head over to the hospital to get checked for early-onset Alzheimer's--because you seem to have forgotten what decade you're living in--and stop being such a crabby old codger. Fitzgerald's is great: interesting music played to audiences who actually know why they're attending a given show. That's not what you'll find at a lot of rock venues around town where the comparatively youthful crowds you seem to fetishize are more likely to be talking over the music than listening to it.

First, I never suggested FitzGerald's didn't host rock and roll bands. What they don't do is host rock and roll shows. They are in business to accommodate the older crowd that cares about things like beer selection. And that is the very antithesis of the rock and roll ethic. Rock and roll and youth culture are inextricably linked. Rock and roll is a middle finger to your old man. But how can it be when he's banging his dopey head right next to you? To me, FitzGerald's is the embodiment of that.

And yeah, I am pretty fucking old. I'm also usually smart enough not to act like a teenager. But I don't want to go gentle into that good night either. The problem with today's rock and roll is like everything else. It's been co-opted by money. And who has the money? The rich old guy or the rich old guy's kid when he deigns to give it to him. And the rich old guy doesn't rock. He wants to take a fucking limo to sit in a skybox and eat from a dessert cart while watching Keith and nut. Again, it ain't what I call rock and roll. But to each his own.

Finally, the very fact that anyone thinks people should be expected to quietly watch a rock show misses the entire point of the medium. It isn't a fucking opera or the symphony. I don't need to sit like I'm in a motherfucking church service at a rock show. FUCK JOE JACKSON! Yeah, that's a motherfuckin' cigarette too! One of the best things about punk rock was the lack of a line between performer and audience. The fact that a punk rock stage is at floor level is symbolic. I'm sure some old guy with earplugs might shush me at FitzGerald's if I cough too loudly during another scintillating set by Clifton Chenier or Marcia Ball.

The problem with aligning rock with a rebellious youth culture is that such a culture does not exist. This isn't the 1930s or the 1960s. We aren't being led by a young revolutionary vanguard--who have stepped out of the pages of The Masses or Ramparts--that seeks to bring a new social vision into the light of day through sit-down strikes and mass protest. The closest thing we had to that was the Occupy Movement, and most Occupiers were motivated by their disappointment with the unfulfilled promises of capitalism, not their alienation from a capitalist ethos.

Your celebration of the "rebellious" spirit of punk makes me chuckle given your disgust for the people who might populate Fitzgerald's on a given night. Many of them have a great affinity for the folk music of the 1930s and the 1960s, which was precisely the engine for sweeping social change that punk pretended to be but never was. You've got it exactly right when you point to punk's "symbolic" rejection of hierarchical divisions between audience and performers--because just about everything related to punk was purely symbolic. Punk cultivated an aesthetic of the grotesque as a way of making itself impenetrable to the logic of commodity culture, but it never saw beyond capitalism. As Greil Marcus has pointed out, punk articulated a logic of self-negation but ultimately had no social vision. In that respect, it was tailor-made for a failing capitalist order--punk provided an outlet for culturally subverting capitalism without actually functioning as a social threat to the status quo. It was a politics of style--nothing more--that privileged radical feeling over radical action.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:26 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Tall Midget wrote:
The problem with aligning rock with a rebellious youth culture is that such a culture does not exist.

Except I'm certain it does exist and old guys like us simply do not know where to look for it. And I'm not telling you not to enjoy swaying to and fro to the dulcet tones of the Freddy Jones Band along with other like-minded individuals. I'm just telling you why I won't be there.

Tall Midget wrote:
Your celebration of the "rebellious" spirit of punk makes me chuckle given your disgust for the people who might populate Fitzgerald's on a given night. Many of them have a great affinity for the folk music of the 1930s and the 1960s, which was precisely the engine for sweeping social change that punk pretended to be but never was. You've got it exactly right when you point to punk's "symbolic" rejection of hierarchical divisions between audience and performers--because just about everything related to punk was purely symbolic. Punk cultivated an aesthetic of the grotesque as a way of making itself impenetrable to the logic of commodity culture, but it never saw beyond capitalism. As Greil Marcus has pointed out, punk articulated a logic of self-negation but ultimately had no social vision. In that respect, it was tailor-made for a failing capitalist order--punk provided an outlet for culturally subverting capitalism without actually functioning as a social threat to the status quo. It was a politics of style--nothing more--that privileged radical feeling over radical action.

That's Baby Boomer claptrap. The same douchebags that "changed the world" with their righteous anger in the 60s went on to drive BMWs in the cocaine-fueled 80s. Let's not make something out to be more than it was/is. Ultimately, we're talking about pop music.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
The problem with aligning rock with a rebellious youth culture is that such a culture does not exist.

Except I'm certain it does exist and old guys like us simply do not know where to look for it. And I'm not telling you not to enjoy swaying to and fro to the dulcet tones of the Freddy Jones Band along with other like-minded individuals. I'm just telling you why I won't be there.

Tall Midget wrote:

That's Baby Boomer claptrap. The same douchebags that "changed the world" with their righteous anger in the 60s went on to drive BMWs in the cocaine-fueled 80s. Let's not make something out to be more than it was/is. Ultimately, we're talking about pop music.

Well you might be right that a rebellious youth culture exists in comparison to the largely bankrupt punk era of the late 70s and early 80s, but I'm speaking with a longer historical perspective in mind, taking into account the generations of the 30s and 60s that, you know, actually accomplished something.

Sure, a lot of young radicals become more conservative as they age. It happened with some anarchists in the early 1900s, communists in the 1930s, and members of SDS in the 1960s. But before they turned away from revolutionary politics, they were the foundation of meaningful social movements. All of your snide dismissiveness about "changing the world" can't alter the facts: The music and people that you mock have had a far greater impact on society than the impotent aesthetic rebels who called themselves punks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Well you might be right that a rebellious youth culture exists in comparison to the largely bankrupt punk era of the late 70s and early 80s, but I'm speaking with a longer historical perspective in mind, taking into account the generations of the 30s and 60s that, you know, actually accomplished something.

Sure, a lot of young radicals become more conservative as they age. It happened with some anarchists in the early 1900s, communists in the 1930s, and members of SDS in the 1960s. But before they turned away from revolutionary politics, they were the foundation of meaningful social movements. All of your snide dismissiveness about "changing the world" can't alter the facts: The music and people that you mock have had a far greater impact on society than the impotent aesthetic rebels who called themselves punks.

We'll have to disagree there. The reason certain generations hold more sway or have more effect on society is based only upon sheer numbers. It's not because of any purity of ideology. The biggest visible change effected by the people I mock is the current easy availability of impotence cures and ubiquitous ads for retirement plans. Vineyard? Come on! Cue the Boomer music: "I just want to celebrate another day of livin', I just want to celebrate another day of life!"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Uhhh, I just hope I die before I get old??

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
Uhhh, I just hope I die before I get old??

Well, if not, you can always take your walker and hearing aid to see Wishbone Ash at FitzGerald's.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:31 pm 

The youth movement has always become what they most hated in the previous generation. Those of the 60's did go on to become successful, by and large. That's what I always find so damn ironic in this "Occupy" movement:

They hate capitalism, yet wear clothes made in China and imported by corporations, they blog on their iPhones and iPads, they drink $5 lattes from a corporation from Seattle, and feel that celebrities and film makers who will make more in one film/record/tv season than them actually are "for them." They already are the people they claim to hate: consumers who will buy what they want, because the culture tells them they should.

Music has always reflected the times; but right now, the synthetic sound that is popular music doesn't have the soul or the feel of the 60/70's, nor is it a "revolution" that the 90's is affectionately remembered for. It has more in common with the 80's hairbands and bubblegum rock; no matter how much they deny it and give the "F U" to anyone who points that out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:37 pm 

JORR and TM should just go get jobs at rolling stone already.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:59 am 

I only went to two concerts last year: Bruce Springsteen and The Wall. FU CORPORATE GLOBALISM!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
W_Z wrote:

Ben Fong Torrez Folds Road Rod is too long of a byline

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Good thread, good read.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:34 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I only went to two concerts last year: Bruce Springsteen and The Wall. FU CORPORATE GLOBALISM!

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:47 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Ben Fong Torrez Folds Road Rod is too long of a byline

no one would get past the headline anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Speegz band is quite good but they got serious balls saying some goddamn shit like they "Become" whomever they're covering. Just cover it. You're not becoming anyone. You're still a silly bastard who can't button his shirt and drinks wine.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:59 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Speegz band is quite good but they got serious balls saying some goddamn shit like they "Become" whomever they're covering. Just cover it. You're not becoming anyone. You're still a silly bastard who can't button his shirt and drinks wine.

Wait, you've seen them? :shock:

Yeah.
It's no secret.
Was at the Mackaversary.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Darkside wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Wait, you've seen them? :shock:

Yeah.
It's no secret.
Was at the Mackaversary.

You went to that? Wow...so you celebrated the Macaversey with Mac, Meat and yourself.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 pm 

Yes. I met yourmom that night too. And... partied with Bigfan. He is one sexy bitch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:01 pm 

Darkside wrote:

overinflated sense of self...but then he is rather inflated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
There's always the argument of covers vs originals. Some of the best musicians I've ever known play exclusively cover music. I think learning cover songs builds skills that are extremely important to any musician. Some classically trained musicians entire careers are spent playing "other people's music".

I enjoy seeing smokin' cover bands as I find a lot of "original" music not to my liking. We've done sooo many shows with bands I would never see outside of being booked with them. It's really hard to find bands to play with that aren't screamo-metal or emo-power pop. It's also really hard to find a successful formula, so why not be in a band that plays fun music that a good amount of people like to go out and see.

I do need to get out and see some more music, though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Most bands suck...which is my experience with people. If we were all great at it, music would be give us as much joy as blowing our noses. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Most bands suck...which is my experience with people. If we were all great at it, music would be give us as much joy as blowing our noses. :D

I pretty much agree with that, but I'd also so most bands- even some horrible ones- are capable of great moments here or there. "Call Me Maybe" is an awesome song.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Wow, DURR SPEAGOL has grubby hands. That really can't help with the whole guitar thing...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:40 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I pretty much agree with that, but I'd also so most bands- even some horrible ones- are capable of great moments here or there. "Call Me Maybe" is an awesome song.

check out this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2uu_KHbl5I

my buddy Henry is sick good on the guitar. He puts me to shame.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

check out this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2uu_KHbl5I

my buddy Henry is sick good on the guitar. He puts me to shame.

Fuckin' awesome version! People can make fun of it, but it's a great song.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 am 

Great song? Have you no soul?

I know nothing about music and even I can tell that song is shallow and pointless with its only redemption being catchey.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Great song? Have you no soul?

I know nothing about music and even I can tell that song is shallow and pointless with its only redemption being catchey.

Catchiness goes a long way, dolphin. I like "Mmmbop" too.

And as far as "Call Me Maybe" is concerned, I'd suggest maybe there's a little more depth than you're giving it credit for having. Of course, it's probably going to sound shallow when sung by a teenaged girl. That was probably her point. That's where she's at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPU8V-nvUEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEsPhTbJhuo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:57 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Most songs are shallow and pointless.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:59 am 
1000 CLUB

It's a good pop song. that's all it is. but the version I posted is WAY better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Most songs are shallow and pointless.

Fuckin' A. Long live Cliff Richard!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 am 

My daughter loves it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next