It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:22 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Tribute bands are fun and the price isn't anything outrageous. I'm not sure what Tributasaurus is charging but I imagine it is pocket change. Go and have a few drinks while enjoying music that you like. People fall all over themselves for the faux experience at places like Disney.
The people at Disney are aware that they aren't actually achieving what it is like to be in a flying elephant or to be attacked by pirates.

Ultimately, I don't think the issue with Tributosaurus is the audiences understanding of the "faux experience".

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:49 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:
I went in with an open mind. I really did.

Here's Spiegs and company becoming Prince:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxCO6od5jfs

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would want to listen to or even worse pay money to a tribute band. Nothing is ever like the original. Just listen to the original. Why would someone want to hear Meatpants try to be Prince or Queen or the Who? Just makes no fucking sense to me.

Tribute bands are fun and the price isn't anything outrageous. I'm not sure what Tributasaurus is charging but I imagine it is pocket change. Go and have a few drinks while enjoying music that you like. People fall all over themselves for the faux experience at places like Disney.

and the symphony thing is hard to argue with

No it isn't. I just wasn't in the mood. Is the guy who forges Picassos creating art?

I guess you could break it down to any person plucking a rubber band or playing fart sounds with his underarm is "making music" by the strictest definition of the term.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:54 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:
I went in with an open mind. I really did.

Here's Spiegs and company becoming Prince:

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would want to listen to or even worse pay money to a tribute band. Nothing is ever like the original. Just listen to the original. Why would someone want to hear Meatpants try to be Prince or Queen or the Who? Just makes no fucking sense to me.

and the symphony thing is hard to argue with

Beethoven didn't write all his music for himself to play (He wouldn't be able to anyway). He wrote it for a large symphony to play it.

The Beatles didn't sit down and write Abbey Road with the thought about how all kinds of rip-off tribute bands will be covering it.

This is not an Apples To Apples argument.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Yep.

if you bang two rocks together it's technically considered "music."

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Man, some of you guys are way too literal. No wonder you hate everything.

I think they say "become" as an "artistic" way of saying "cover". I've played music in bands for twenty years and I really appreciate a band that plays music well, whether they wrote the shit or not. It takes a lot of work and time to be a solid musician. Tributasaurus doesn't just rehearse for three weeks to play a particular band's music. They've been playing for years and have honed their skills to the point where three weeks is enough to get a particular band's library down. Most of the acts they cover aren't really that difficult to copy. The hardest part is matching voices, which with the stable of performers they have, seems to do the trick.

I've never heard someone who's been to a show say they sucked or didn't pull it off. Seems like a lot of second hand speculation and some posters' personal feelings about Matt are what's driving the critiques of that band...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Makalu G wrote:

I think they say "become" as an "artistic" way of saying "cover". I've played music in bands for twenty years and I really appreciate a band that plays music well, whether they wrote the shit or not. It takes a lot of work and time to be a solid musician. Tributasaurus doesn't just rehearse for three weeks to play a particular band's music. They've been playing for years and have honed their skills to the point where three weeks is enough to get a particular band's library down. Most of the acts they cover aren't really that difficult to copy. The hardest part is matching voices, which with the stable of performers they have, seems to do the trick.

I've never heard someone who's been to a show say they sucked or didn't pull it off. Seems like a lot of second hand speculation and some posters' personal feelings about Matt are what's driving the critiques of that band...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:49 pm 

Makalu G wrote:

I'm convinced. Thank you for setting us all straight.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:55 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
Makalu,

I watched parts of nearly 20 songs of "theirs" last night on Youtube. I went in with an open mind.
They seem to have like 3 to 4 lead singers. Spiegs is CLEARLY the worst of the lot.

Some of the music wasn't so bad, though some of it was. But the singing left a lot to be desired.

The stage presence was kind of strange as well. There's always some dude walking around with his cell phone, on stage, filming. I guess. I don't know what the hell that guy is doing.

And then there's the 3 out of every 4 songs that Spiegel doesn't perform on, and he can be found in the background just kind of doing that Grimace thing that shirtless talked about.

I think they kind of suck to be honest with you.

But it did seem like everybody was having fun, so there's that.

Wait, Spiegal doesn't sing on every song? Why is he missing shifts the day after shows again?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Keeping Score wrote:
He seriously sings on like 1 out of every 4 songs. The rest of the time he gyrates.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:59 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
Makalu,

I watched parts of nearly 20 songs of "theirs" last night on Youtube. I went in with an open mind.
They seem to have like 3 to 4 lead singers. Spiegs is CLEARLY the worst of the lot.

Some of the music wasn't so bad, though some of it was. But the singing left a lot to be desired.

The stage presence was kind of strange as well. There's always some dude walking around with his cell phone, on stage, filming. I guess. I don't know what the hell that guy is doing.

And then there's the 3 out of every 4 songs that Spiegel doesn't perform on, and he can be found in the background just kind of doing that Grimace thing that shirtless talked about.

LOL!!! Cell phone videos posted on youtube really don't capture the sound and feel of a show, but I certainly don't begrudge your opinion. I know some people who've seen them live and said they kill.

My original point was there are some bad ass musicians playing cover songs all over the world...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:16 pm 

Makalu G wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:
Makalu,

LOL!!! Cell phone videos posted on youtube really don't capture the sound and feel of a show, but I certainly don't begrudge your opinion. I know some people who've seen them live and said they kill.

My original point was there are some bad ass musicians playing cover songs all over the world...

All you have to point to is that they have been around for years and still get booked on a regular basis. People like their act. I've heard it is fun and would see them. I wouldn't take the group or the music seriously.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Keeping Score wrote:
Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWf56zd-ewM

Awful

:shock:

Not good. You watched 20 of these? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:33 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I wouldn't take the group or the music seriously.

I don't take any music "seriously"...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Makalu G wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I wouldn't take the group or the music seriously.

I don't take any music "seriously"...

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Keeping Score wrote:
And this is Spiegs when he's not singing. This is very, very rich. I suggest watching the entire clip if you can possibly stand it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uveNt8wplm4

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:51 pm 

Boy, when you don't like someone, they certainly get the business!!! Sounded like they're doing a pretty good version. Not a Springsteen fan at all, though...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
So whats the hangup with Tributo?

Is it the performances? Skill etc.?

Or is it the pomposity that MeatPants and the gang exude when they speak about it in such mighty terms?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:57 pm 

It's not my thing. I'm not their audience. They seem very accomplished. If they were playing in a bar I was at, I would likely leave. That's not a good time for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Telegram Sam wrote:
It's not my thing. I'm not their audience. They seem very accomplished. If they were playing in a bar I was at, I would likely leave. That's not a good time for me.

Not fan of the cover band/live band at bars?

I'm not really either, I like to hear myself and those around me without yelling. Sometimes I dig it but mostly I don't.

FWIW, Tributo seems to be musically top notch.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:15 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

Not fan of the cover band/live band at bars?

I'm not really either, I like to hear myself and those around me without yelling. Sometimes I dig it but mostly I don't.

FWIW, Tributo seems to be musically top notch.

I wouldn't say that. I like to watch bands at the bar level, especially if they appear to be having fun or are taking it somewhere uncharted. This is just too much, I don't know, everything and nothing all at once. I won't besmirch people who enjoy it, though. good dolphin is a man of wealth and taste, and he has said goes in for this sort of thing.

Plus the bar for local media personality-as-ceremonial-frontman was set pretty high with Joel Daly and the Sundowners.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm 

You know who doesnt respect cover bands?

Tributasauraus and its members, that's who.

They scoff at the label and try and set themselves apart. So apparently, they think cover bands suck too

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
SomeGuy wrote:

Nope, from the YouTube videos they sound great musically
Or is it the pomposity that MeatPants and the gang exude when they speak about it in such mighty terms? Yup.

These videos have also exposed Candyman. Why is he taking off days when other people are singing?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

shirtless driver wrote:
Sing along with me...
For quality covers, doughnuts n' smarm, call 866......FUCK SPEE-GULL

I can't believe 2 pages of posts followed this gem without somebody giving it the respect it deserves. Well allow me to :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well played sir!

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:21 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Nope, from the YouTube videos they they sound great
Or is it the pomposity that MeatPants and the gang exude when they speak about it in such mighty terms? Yup.

These videos have also exposed Candyman. Why is he taking off days when other people are singing?

The lead singer who only sings 25% of the songs does not exist. But that's a whole nother conversation

Apparently Spiegel is unable to finish anytihng that doesnt come dipped in Gravy

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
I've been looking at funny shit on the net all day, but watching Grimace at around 0:20 of that Prince vid made my day.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can one of you fine folks PLEASE, oh pretty please make an animated gif out of the Spiegel Grimace Strut from about :19 to :22.

It looks like he's having an epileptic fit.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
jesuss - this keeps getting funnier.

P.S. - thanks Dallas Winston, I was somewhat amused with that one myself.

8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:14 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:49 pm 

how does a Rock star take the stage?

Like this...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next