It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Could we all at least agree that it's important to learn to use the quote function properly?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:09 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
You're right on that. I would think though that the every day thing would be something a doctor would advise against because of the habit forming thing.
Habit forming isn't a bad thing though. I have a habit of eating dinner especially if it's something with positive health effects.

rogers park bryan wrote:
But, again, who has 1 or 2 drinks when they drink?
It depends what kind of a drinker you are. There are a lot of people who have a drink or two a day, and then may have an extra on Friday or Saturday. Others drink 10 on a Friday, spend Saturday hungover, and then don't drink for the rest of the week. Some do both.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:09 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Most people have the equivalent of one glass of wine or less?
That's not the line for responsible drinking. That is the currently accepted line for positive health benefits.

Right, but this line of questioning originated with me saying

"I dont think were talking about one glass of wine a night"

Obviously, we are not. Even the ones you consider responsible drink more.

So, we can throw out the whole "Dr's say 1 glass is good for you" in this argument because its not relavent. We arent talking one glass a night.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
[quote="Don Tiny"]Could we all at least agree that it's important to learn to use the quote function properly?[/quote

Never!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
You're right on that. I would think though that the every day thing would be something a doctor would advise against because of the habit forming thing.
Habit forming isn't a bad thing though. I have a habit of eating dinner especially if it's something with positive health effects.

So with alcohol there is no worry of habit turning to addiction?

I would think that as physically addicting as alcohol is, habit forming might be frowned upon.

Guess not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:19 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

So, we can throw out the whole "Dr's say 1 glass is good for you" in this argument because its not relavent. We arent talking one glass a night.
I jumped in when you said "weed is better than alcohol". That's not true. In many cases alcohol is actually better for you. You pretty much have to get to the alcohol abuse stage for your statement to be true.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:24 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
So with alcohol there is no worry of habit turning to addiction?

I would think that as physically addicting as alcohol is, habit forming might be frowned upon.

Guess not.
Being addicted to having one or two drinks a night isn't bad though. I'm addicted to eating an acceptable amount of calories a day. Neither is damaging. Now, if I start having double the calories I should have that's bad. If I start having double the alcohol I should have that's bad.

That's what happens in Europe(Hi IMU!). They start drinking much earlier but they drink in much more moderation. You can go your whole life(after a certain age) having a few drinks a day with no issues. Now, if for some reason you start increasing your amount drank per day you can get addicted to drinking that much. The same can be said for chocolate though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
BRick has an unfair advantage in message board arguments since he's all hopped up on performance-enhancing caffeine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:27 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I jumped in when you said "weed is better than alcohol". That's not true. In many cases alcohol is actually better for you. You pretty much have to get to the alcohol abuse stage for your statement to be true.

When you jumped in originally is irrelavant.

This line of debate goes back to me saying

"Im not gonna treat it like its one glass a night"

you replied

Why? A lot of people drink responsibly
(apparently saying a lot of people have one glass a night)

Then we found out you meant more than one glass.

So, again the one glass of night is good for you thing is irrelavant here, since that's not what were talking about.

Also, do you guys think that weed being illegal affects Dr's reccommendations?

If it were legal, do you think Dr's would reccommend it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
BRick has an unfair advantage in message board arguments since he's all hopped up on performance-enhancing caffeine.
I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't be posting this high on caffeine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

So depression caused mac to piss all over himself down at the LSU game and not being shitfaced?
Or did depression cause him to get shitfaced?

Just trying to understand.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm 

The side effects of alcohol are also way worse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Don Tiny wrote:

Gay Marijuana!!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:34 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
When you jumped in originally is irrelavant.

This line of debate goes back to me saying

"Im not gonna treat it like its one glass a night"

you replied

Why? A lot of people drink responsibly
(apparently saying a lot of people have one glass a night)

Then we found out you meant more than one glass.

So, again the one glass of night is good for you thing is irrelavant here, since that's not what were talking about.
We are talking about responsible vs. irresponsible drinking. Responsible drinking can be a generic term, but most of the time responsible drinking > responsible smoking of tobacco or marijuana. At low levels, it's obvious. At moderate levels, it's still likely better. If someone must abuse either weed or alcohol, weed is better to abuse.
rogers park bryan wrote:

No. As spanky pointed out, I don't know of any positive health benefits of marijuana. Now, it can be used like medicine, but medicine is designed to treat certain issues and not something for general use. Also, in general, doctors don't really care about illegal/legal unless they are forced to. They aren't cops. That's why you can be honest on that form when it asks if you use any drugs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I don't know enough about depression to have an opinion about Mac's condition. I trust the professionals he has in place, to treat him appropriately and render the help he needs. I am thankful that he didn't need to be arrested, have his wife leave him, or have some other terrible event in his life have to occur, before realizing help was needed. I am just glad he got help BEFORE something terrible happened. And, I am happy to hear him on the air again. I wish mac the very best and hope he can remain on a positive path that leads to more satisfying relationships, professional success and happiness.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:36 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
The side effects of alcohol are also way worse.
What are the side effects of alcohol? I think you will discover that pretty much all of them have to do with alcohol abuse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
but most of the time responsible drinking > responsible smoking of tobacco or marijuana.

Leaving tobacco out of that, thats not true or proven.

rogers park bryan wrote:

No. As spanky pointed out, I don't know of any positive health benefits of marijuana. Now, it can be used like medicine, but medicine is designed to treat certain issues and not something for general use. Also, in general, doctors don't really care about illegal/legal unless they are forced to. They aren't cops. That's why you can be honest on that form when it asks if you use any drugs.[/quote]
Drs certainly "care" about what is legal, because being illegal there are no huge Pharm's telling them to push it.

I believe they would find some positives in it, like anything else.

They'd find out that it lowers stress and helps long term blood pressure or something.

Especially because if it were legal, it would be available in non smoking form.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:49 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
but most of the time responsible drinking > responsible smoking of tobacco or marijuana.

Um, did you miss the whole thing about the AMA saying that there are positive health reasons to drink moderate amounts of alcohol?

rogers park bryan wrote:
Drs certainly "care" about what is legal, because being illegal there are no huge Pharm's telling them to push it.

They'd find out that it lowers stress and helps long term blood pressure or something.

You don't think marijuana use is studied and papers are written about it and distributed to doctors? Doctors learn a ton about most of the popular illegal drugs. The best that has been done is they've found it to be a valid treatment for certain diseases and conditions. That's why the questionnaire we all get when we go to the doctor asks about drug use. They need to know a lot about it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
You are obviously steadfast in your view that alcohol is better than weed even in the face of a social worker who deals with these things, so this is pointless.
I'm trying to stay out of this, but you need to frame your debate better. Alcohol is better than weed. Abuse of alcohol is worse than abuse of weed.

To say is "alcohol is better than weed" is too broad and its not true across the board.

But regardless, when were having this debate, we are obviously not talking about one glass of wine a night.

If in all those arguments, you guys were talking one glass of wine a night, then we agree.

But we arent, obviously.

One glass of wine is equivalent to about a hit of weed in terms of effects. I can't imagine either is doing much to you long term - or short term for that matter.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Um, did you miss the whole thing about the AMA saying that there are positive health reasons to drink moderate amounts of alcohol?

Um, did you miss that whole exchange where we determined that your defintion of responsible drinking and what the AMA reccommends are two VERY different things?

rogers park bryan wrote:

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
[You don't think marijuana use is studied and papers are written about it and distributed to doctors? Doctors learn a ton about most of the popular illegal drugs. The best that has been done is they've found it to be a valid treatment for certain diseases and conditions. That's why the questionnaire we all get when we go to the doctor asks about drug use. They need to know a lot about it.

Ok?

They cant learn more?

Couldnt you say all that about alcohol research before they found out its good for heart disease?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:56 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
One glass of wine is equivalent to about a hit of weed in terms of effects. I can't imagine either is doing much to you long term - or short term for that matter.
How many hits are in your standard joint?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Way too many, but joints are the passed.

I know a guy that smokes one hitter per day. Thats one drag.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
I applaud his willingness to share something so private, but the line about regaining the listeners' trust was a little over the top and pandering, in my opinion.

It's sports/guy talk. Just put on a good show, and I'll worry about who I trust. Or not.

Throwing it out there, but how important is it for you to trust the hosts you enjoy/listen to?

I kind of agree with you Ed. I didn't feel that I needed to re-gain Mac's trust in any way. People are gonna have problems. I'm assuming he means the trust that he will be there more consistantly maybe....or that he has promised people to not do certain things, yet has fallen short. I think I would rather trust my favorite hosts, but wouldn't be a deciding factor.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Way too many, but joints are the passed.

I know a guy that smokes one hitter per day. Thats one drag.

Gimme drugs, gimme drugs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:58 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Um, did you miss that whole exchange where we determined that your defintion of responsible drinking and what the AMA reccommends are two VERY different things?
Ok. I've shown a major way when responsible drinking > responsible smoking. Now it's your turn. Explain to me how responsible smoking > responsible drinking. I think that will be tough.
rogers park bryan wrote:
Couldnt you say all that about alcohol research before they found out its good for heart disease?
They study legal and illegal drugs all the time already. The legal status doesn't make it illegal to research it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
bigfan wrote:
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I'm disturbed by the level of hatred aspoused by SID and Gloop in this thread. What did Dan McNeil do to you guys to warrant those reactions and comments?

Granted, I'm not a fan of his show but this is more than just radio. This is real life stuff here. I do hope for the best for Dan and I'm not sure why anyone else wouldn't really.

I can tell you that Gloop has had some personal interaction with Danny Mac, SID, just sounds like a disgruntled ex worker in the same industry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:01 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ok. I've shown a major way when responsible drinking > responsible smoking. Now it's your turn. Explain to me how responsible smoking > responsible drinking. I think that will be tough.
rogers park bryan wrote:
They study legal and illegal drugs all the time already. The legal status doesn't make it illegal to research it.

I must have missed the part where you showed responsible drinking > responsible smoking. It's not.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:03 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I must have missed the part where you showed responsible drinking > responsible smoking. It's not.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/281/1/104.full.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/281/1/104.full.pdf

:lol: :lol: It doesnt say that in there. In fact, it doesn't even mention weed.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I think Rick is stating that there is legitimate health benefits recorded to moderate alcohol consumption and there is no such study for moderate marijuana use.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next