It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:36 am 
1000 CLUB

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Mac wrote:
Decided I like air drumming successfully as opposed to failing at actually playing. I tried a bit, but my mind isn't wired to do it. Requires a brain that can train both feet and both hands to do different things at the same time.... counting.... pauses with one or two but not the others.

I call bullshit on this, Mac. Start slow and simple then build with your fills. Hit 1 on the bass drum and 3 on the snare with your basic 4/4 and go from there. I believe that much of the timing that's involved in being an on-air talent and your producer/board skills would come in handy when playing drums. If I can do it, anybody can fucking do it. Now guitar on the other hand takes someone with some true talent as well as the dedication to practice and whatnot.

Dont quit Dan. May I suggest something? Play Highway to Hell. Its simple with not many fills but one of the best songs to learn a basic drum beat. Play it with headphones on. When you barely hearyourself playing, it kind of blends. And loosen up. Body and hands. Move your head around to the beat and lighten your grip on the stix. When you're tight, you cant bounce around the kit. I taught my son and daughter starting with that song. I learned to play that whole album when I was ten with my first set from the Sears catolog. And dont feel so much pressure to use your left foot. That will come in time. In the meantime, Hold that fucker to the floor on your hi hat and mash it. You're not Neil Peart so dont try to be.

If this guy can play it you can. See how uptight he is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZNvdqR ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:50 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Mr. Belvidere wrote:
You're not Neil Peart so dont try to be.

Is it okay if he tries to be John Rutsey?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Mr. Belvidere wrote:
You're not Neil Peart so dont try to be.

Is it okay if he tries to be John Rutsey?

Well played! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Mr. Belvidere wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Mac wrote:
Decided I like air drumming successfully as opposed to failing at actually playing. I tried a bit, but my mind isn't wired to do it. Requires a brain that can train both feet and both hands to do different things at the same time.... counting.... pauses with one or two but not the others.

I call bullshit on this, Mac. Start slow and simple then build with your fills. Hit 1 on the bass drum and 3 on the snare with your basic 4/4 and go from there. I believe that much of the timing that's involved in being an on-air talent and your producer/board skills would come in handy when playing drums. If I can do it, anybody can fucking do it. Now guitar on the other hand takes someone with some true talent as well as the dedication to practice and whatnot.

Dont quit Dan. May I suggest something? Play Highway to Hell. Its simple with not many fills but one of the best songs to learn a basic drum beat. Play it with headphones on. When you barely hearyourself playing, it kind of blends. And loosen up. Body and hands. Move your head around to the beat and lighten your grip on the stix. When you're tight, you cant bounce around the kit. I taught my son and daughter starting with that song. I learned to play that whole album when I was ten with my first set from the Sears catolog. And dont feel so much pressure to use your left foot. That will come in time. In the meantime, Hold that fucker to the floor on your hi hat and mash it. You're not Neil Peart so dont try to be.

If this guy can play it you can. See how uptight he is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZNvdqR ... re=related

:lol: :lol: :lol: He looks thrilled. I almost fell asleep to that.

You're right Belvidere. Start easy and build, Mac..... and be into it. :wink: That guy looked like he was auditioning for a band and didn't want to miss any beat, although he missed coming back in on the next verse. :lol: But you hear it Mac, right? 1(bass drum) 3(snare) right hand on high hat (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and). It's like building a house and this 4/4 is the foundation. The fills and variations and syncapated stuff is all the fancy decorations.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
spmack wrote:
this may be a really dumb question, so I'm apologizing in advance....

But, I'm noticing that while others guys at the gym can lift a lot more than me (like double), I look a hell of lot more "defined" than them, especially in the arms....is this because I also do treadmill, thus burning more fat? These guys only hit the weights, I never see them hit the treadmill.

I also try to eat somewhat decent too, avoiding anything heavy during the week, focusing on fruits and veggies and water and eggs for protein during the week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's in Rockford
I don't know if this will be considered light but here goes:

Mac, I know that you had some issues related to substance abuse/misuse. It seems like today that you have a good handle of the issue and can enjoy a few drinks once and awhile without a problem. But did you ever have to take a "time out", attend a few meetings or therapy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
I'm surprised the Chet story was a new one for many posters. I thought that incident was a well-traveled saga. I remember hearing a replay of it a few years back.
Still a hilarious story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Fucking Mac is too lazy to even tell us a NEW story. The dumb Chet Chipmonk one we've heard a thousand times.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
The dumb Chet Chipmonk one we've heard a thousand times.

Darko + Kim Jung + Gloop = MATCH? :shock:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Hey Mac, what kind of lighter do you use to fire up the ol Marlboro Lights? Are you a custom Zippo guy, or do you go the everyman's route with Bic lighters?

For what it's worth, whenever I see cricket lighters I buy at least 5 of them. They're the best lighters in the game but are suppressed by the Bic empire!