It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 4/24 The Great One
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Silvy is the second best host in the city.

Waddle is blah.

Mac trying to control the narrative.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Waddle is blah.

I will be hitting up their remote tomorrow at Durty Nellies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:03 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
I'd say Theo won the interview. Good answers on Soler, the team and the money. He plowed through the possible negativity of the start of the season nicely and gave support to Sveum both short term and potentially long term.

Decent questions with a little bite and decent answers across the board. me thinks.

It was a "nice" interview. Very "nice" :|

Although, the winning the interview "metric" is getting pretty damned tiring.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Silvy might be interesting if he were allowed to say whatever he wanted. "Nice" meatball potential.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:08 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
When the Cubs were good in '07 and '08, they were drawing 3.3 million/year.

This year they'll probably be in the 2.5 million range. If you figure that each ticket generates roughly $100 in revenue, that's an extra $80 million/year. You could pay for a couple guys with that.

another way to look at it, and I will grant that you are my superior in financial/accounting issues, Ricketts bought the team for 800 million and the value has increased to an estimated 1 billion in a few years during a down economy. As the value has increased the spending has decreased with long term obligations soon to be almost eliminated. There is money.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I believe he said Silvy isn't much better than Carmen.

And when Mac was at WMVP, he pretty much talked shit about everybody at WSCR, including Dan Bernstein, who is now his best friend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
JR told Rickets the best way to run a baseball team is to focus exclusively on cash flow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:11 pm 

Northside_Dan wrote:
This Castro to 3rd idea is real bad unless he starts hitting for a lot more power. His offensive value is largely influenced that he plays SS. 2B is a much more likely moved if he's going to have a .303 avg and .330obp

Agreed. His highest value is in a trade should the time ever come that someone actually pushes him at SS. Baez now appears to be at least 2 years away with at least another year of proving at MLB before that decision needs to be made.

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
spmack wrote:

And when Mac was at WMVP, he pretty much talked shit about everybody at WSCR, including Dan Bernstein, who is now his best friend.

Oh, come on now, Spmack you know that isn't the truth!

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Settle down and listen to Rozner.

Less than year into Epstein plan, some Cubs fans panic
By Barry Rozner

It’s been a grand total of 10 months.

Not even a year since Theo Epstein’s first draft, just about 322 days since the Cubs began rebuilding the baseball side of an organization that has not had a plan in place for several decades.

And there is already panic in the streets, despair over the lack of progress, demands that the team show improvement in the very near future.

For the love of Ty Waller and all that’s holy, what is taking so long?

It has to make Epstein laugh — or wonder if he had any idea what he was getting himself into.

If he didn’t walk away upon seeing Ronnie Woo-Woo on Day 1, he’s probably not going to run away screaming now.

But you wouldn’t blame him if he did.

It seems a majority of Cubs fans understand what Epstein is doing and support the effort toward putting together an organization that can compete for a playoff spot — and therefore a World Series — annually, though I could be wrong about that majority.

And some already have abandoned ship.

The fact that the Cubs are so bad is further proof of how much work they need, not a call to start spending money on patchwork free agents that will merely serve to middle the Cubs again, something they’ve done unsuccessfully for dozens of years.

This is not an indictment of every Cubs executive of the last 30 years. Poor decisions made above the level of GM have forced some bright men to make equally bad decisions.

And some were just bad at what they did, throwing good money after bad and attempting to salvage seasons with acquisitions that did little to help the short term and much to harm the long term.

Some Cubs fans, though, want precisely that again. They see reports about how much money the Cubs are making and they want Epstein out there buying free agents so that the Cubs can finish .500 again.

That’s how the Cubs got here, trading young players and spending money for the opportunity to be mediocre.

Oddly, people seem to have forgotten that they didn’t much care for that approach either, accusing the Cubs of trying to sell tickets and filling the park by doing a little of this and a little of that.

And a little of this wouldn’t even get the Cubs a little of that right now.

When you see them signing every arm they can find on the scrap heap, changing the roster daily in an attempt to find major-league caliber players, it drives home the reality that they are incredibly far away from competing, not proof that Epstein has failed.

Epstein arrived intending to overspend and over-slot in the draft, and pour resources into the international market, but those tools were removed in the latest CBA. Only weeks after taking over, Epstein knew the process would be extended.

Look, it’s painful and unpleasant. Obviously, no one wants to watch this, and few enjoy paying for it.

The suggestion here is not that anyone who is upset about it should enjoy this baseball or pay for it. If it offends you, don’t watch, don’t go and don’t pay.

The people I know who continue to spend their money on the Cubs see it as an investment, believing that there will be a day somewhere down the road when they’ll be glad they kept their season tickets.

That day will not arrive this year and it will not be next year. There’s no promise that it will be the year after that. There’s no promise that it will ever happen, and there’s no law that says you have to like this plan, believe in it or ever watch the Cubs again.

But there is at least a long-term plan in place, and Epstein has been given the opportunity no Cubs boss has been given since Dallas Green.

Green’s mistake is that he won too quickly, attempted to go for the big prize fast and eventually got fired in a power struggle with ownership, and here we are some 30 years later waiting for someone to try again to build a baseball team from the bottom up.

Theo Epstein is trying, and he doesn’t seem likely to buckle to the pressure or the anger over a particular season.

He may yet have to change his plan, as he sees teams locking up their young stars earlier than ever, afraid to let them near the market with skyrocketing prices, especially for pitching.

It’s why he paid for Edwin Jackson last winter, years ahead of actually needing Jackson to pitch for a winning team. Jackson may be here then, or he may become a valuable trade commodity long before that.

Either way, Epstein has a plan and he won’t be forced into changing it by an angry fan base, even if he respects and understands the resentment.

The day he accepted the job here, Epstein reminded us of the Bill Parcells line, when the Hall of Fame coach said, “If you listen to the fans in the stands, pretty soon you’ll be sitting with them.”

That’s just one of the many reasons it’s been 104 years.

brozner@dailyherald.com

ŸListen to Barry Rozner from 9 a.m. to noon Sundays on the Score’s “Hit and Run” show at WSCR 670-AM, and follow him @BarryRozner on Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:13 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
JR told Rickets the best way to run a baseball team is to focus exclusively on cash flow.

JR and Ricketts have entirely different structures. JR has partners he is obliged to as a manager.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:13 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
good dolphin wrote:
When the Cubs were good in '07 and '08, they were drawing 3.3 million/year.

This year they'll probably be in the 2.5 million range. If you figure that each ticket generates roughly $100 in revenue, that's an extra $80 million/year. You could pay for a couple guys with that.

another way to look at it, and I will grant that you are my superior in financial/accounting issues, Ricketts bought the team for 800 million and the value has increased to an estimated 1 billion in a few years during a down economy. As the value has increased the spending has decreased with long term obligations soon to be almost eliminated. There is money.

I'm not sure how they financed the purchase but I seem to recall it was pretty highly leveraged to begin with - I remember thinking maybe too highly. Not sure.

I can understand not wanting to draw on the value especially in the environment where most banks have NO stamped on their front door, even for someone like the Cubs with all the political uncertainty of the organization.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:14 pm 

spmack wrote:

He said there's not much there.

I remember him hating on the Score as well.

Not very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Regular Reader wrote:
beni hanna wrote:
I'd say Theo won the interview. Good answers on Soler, the team and the money. He plowed through the possible negativity of the start of the season nicely and gave support to Sveum both short term and potentially long term.

Decent questions with a little bite and decent answers across the board. me thinks.

It was a "nice" interview. Very "nice" :|

Although, the winning the interview "metric" is getting pretty damned tiring.

One can use proper narrative or improper narrative. This was proper narrative, and it is indeed old.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 pm 

If everything Theo says is true, the Ricketts plan when they purchased the Cubs included banking on City approvals of all of their proposals. If they had banked so heavily on obtaining entitlements, why would they have not chosen an absolute blue ribbon panel of "advisors" to ensure approvals? Even further, why would Joe Ricketts have ever done anything to jeopardize everything?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Waddle is blah.

I almost texted in with that very thought after he said it Speeps.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Waddle is blah.

I almost texted in with that very thought after he said it Speeps.

:thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:29 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
good dolphin wrote:
Even further, why would Joe Ricketts have ever done anything to jeopardize everything?

I always got the sense that Joe thinks this Cubs thing is stupid but he let his kids do it anyway - which is why there wasn't a lot of cash behind the purchase. Joe is the bank's security blanket and the kids have to try to not run the thing in the ground.

I might be off but that's what it looks like to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Mac firing at Silvy...WOW!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Northside_Dan wrote:
Spiegel asking great questions.

Theo mentioned they don't generate enough revenue to make a move on a 200m player regardless if one were available.

So does that mean that the multiple reports claiming they were pursuing Pujols & Fielder were wrong (late 2011)? Or has their financial situation deteriorated?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
The thing Rozner is missing is the reason for the panic. It isn't that Cub fans are finished being patient; it's that they're slowly realizing they've been lied to. They were told that Theo was running baseball operations and could do what he thought was needed to put together a winner. And it's leaked out that Theo thought the best move for his plan was to make the winning post for Darvish and Joe Ricketts wouldn't go into the pocketbook for Theo's move. He needed to put that $32 million profit somewhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:38 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
One can use proper narrative or improper narrative. This was proper narrative, and it is indeed old.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:43 pm 

RosnerCrest wrote:
But there is at least a long-term plan in place, and Epstein has been given the opportunity no Cubs boss has been given since Dallas Green.

Green’s mistake is that he won too quickly, attempted to go for the big prize fast and eventually got fired in a power struggle with ownership, and here we are some 30 years later waiting for someone to try again to build a baseball team from the bottom up.

:lol: :lol: Yeah, Theo won't repeat Green's mistake of "winning too quickly". Is he serious? Green rebuilt that team in 2 years and he didn't even do it "the right way". Maybe he made a "way" mistake.

Also, how was MacPhail doing anything different than Theo, really? So, how can you say he wasn't given this same opportunity. Wasn't Andy supposed to rebuild the farm system to make the Cubs small-market efficient but with money? He was pretty much 1994 Theo Epstein wonderboy. So, it is conceivable that this won't work because we pretty much just tried this a decade and a half ago.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:45 pm 

SHARK wrote:

Is SHARK on tape delay?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The thing Rozner is missing is the reason for the panic. It isn't that Cub fans are finished being patient; it's that they're slowly realizing they've been lied to. They were told that Theo was running baseball operations and could do what he thought was needed to put together a winner. And it's leaked out that Theo thought the best move for his plan was to make the winning post for Darvish and Joe Ricketts wouldn't go into the pocketbook for Theo's move. He needed to put that $32 million profit somewhere else.

I've heard the Darvish story, but what was the original source?

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Hawg Ass wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Is SHARK on tape delay?

SHARK is LIVE! I heard Mac's shot in real time.

good dolphin wrote:
Even further, why would Joe Ricketts have ever done anything to jeopardize everything?

I always got the sense that Joe thinks this Cubs thing is stupid but he let his kids do it anyway - which is why there wasn't a lot of cash behind the purchase. Joe is the bank's security blanket and the kids have to try to not run the thing in the ground.

I might be off but that's what it looks like to me.

It does have the feeling of a father making a family building excercise...like making breakfast on mother's day.

"You boys destroyed the house while getting beat up by your sister, now you get to clean it up together."

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:
Spiegel asking great questions.

Theo mentioned they don't generate enough revenue to make a move on a 200m player regardless if one were available.

So does that mean that the multiple reports claiming they were pursuing Pujols & Fielder were wrong (late 2011)? Or has their financial situation deteriorated?

They were never really in on either guy. There were agents creating the interest. If anything, I believe they took meetings or fed stories to drive the price up for other teams.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yup, nailed my feelings exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
RosnerCrest wrote:

:lol: :lol: Yeah, Theo won't repeat Green's mistake of "winning too quickly". Is he serious? Green rebuilt that team in 2 years and he didn't even do it "the right way". Maybe he made a "way" mistake.

Also, how was MacPhail doing anything different than Theo, really? So, how can you say he wasn't given this same opportunity. Wasn't Andy supposed to rebuild the farm system to make the Cubs small-market efficient but with money? He was pretty much 1994 Theo Epstein wonderboy. So, it is conceivable that this won't work because we pretty much just tried this a decade and a half ago.

I have stated this in a few threads. That is why I felt sorry for cub fans putting their faith in this latest messiah led by Bernsie. He may very well do it but there isn't any secret plan or genius. He is a genius at getting himself a great job for him and his buddy Jed.