It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:48 pm 

SomeGuy, what are you even arguing with?

That Spiegel doesnt come off as a douche or that Laurence isnt nerdy?

Either way...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:

Either way...

When you can tell that the squib is coming from off camera, it really ruins an otherwise great scene. Coffee to go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 pm 

Carbone plays that so perfect when he's walking towards the kitchen with the pots

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:59 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Buster wrote:
The fact that we let the music speak and then poof! -- it's gone -- manages to somehow give us artistic integrity in a cover-band framework.

I have no idea what that means. Did Spiegel write this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Buster wrote:
The fact that we let the music speak and then poof! -- it's gone -- manages to somehow give us artistic integrity in a cover-band framework.

I think he's saying that because they change it up and don't go all out in permanently creating a veritable facsimile of the band they're covering, they don't plumb the depths of existential despair that a fully gimmick-living Stones tribute band (presumptive name: Between The Covers) might, prancing around night after night after night as if they're really the Stones. I agree; it's not very effective copy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Curious Hair wrote:
Buster wrote:

I think he's saying that because they change it up and don't go all out in permanently creating a veritable facsimile of the band they're covering, they don't plumb the depths of existential despair that a fully gimmick-living Stones tribute band (presumptive name: Between The Covers) might, prancing around night after night after night as if they're really the Stones. I agree; it's not very effective copy.

Yeah,especially when "Mic k Jagger" checks in at just under 4 clicks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:21 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
He's simultaneously explaining something while admitting he doesn't understand why it's true. It's dizzying.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
denisdman wrote:
I think guys at the top of their industry deserve to have a certain level of arrogance. That goes for athletes, hollywood types, and media professionals. I doubt most of them would get there without self confidence (except maybe insecure A-Rod). I guess I judge these guys by how they treat the fans. If he's a jerk at remotes and stuff, then I'd accept that opinion.

I've met Jurko, Mac, Harry, Waddle, and Silvy. Only one of them was a jerk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Whole lotta hatin goin on...

Terrific song. And I thank you for the reference, sir. I will now go listen to it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Either way...

When you can tell that the squib is coming from off camera, it really ruins an otherwise great scene. Coffee to go.

I'm more disturbed by the fact that I've never before noticed that Stacks apparently stands up and flings himself to the floor after having his brains blown out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:45 pm 

I don't see how he can quite Hit and Run. This is his strength and it couldn't be an easier show.

The first few years of my first child's life, I went to 6 am mass on Sundays because everyone was up. You don't sleep in...ever. Why not go to work and earn a couple of dollars with enough time to still meet your family for brunch?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:49 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
What other cover band guys would ever miss work because of a show?

I've missed work because of a show...most often you get to bed at 3am after hauling gear and driving home.
I would also wager that Spiegs makes as much or more money for a nights worth of singing than he does for a day on the radio. Clearly its been negotiated into his contract...so, good for him.

So, given the ability to..who wouldn't do this?

I wouldn't because I'd consider working sports radio for six figures a dream job that I would never put in jeopardy.

I don't see how an employer doesn't question dedication under those circumstances even if the days off are negotiated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:57 pm 

Well said,GD. Speigs has a short memory.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Most of the gigs are weekend gigs though?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:10 pm 

bigfan wrote:

I thought it was the first Wed. night of each month.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
bigfan wrote:

I thought it was the first Wed. night of each month.

it is the 1st Wed. of the month for Spiegs and his band at Martyr's and then they do other gigs at Fitzgerald's and the Beverly Arts Center pretty consistently...I will be taking my boys to the all-ages Beatles show tomorrow at Fitzgerald's. I think the anti-Spiegs bias is so strong here that this won't be heard, but this is absolutely a cosmic live experience--I've seen them do countless bands and they are serious musicians who have a good time too...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I don't get the Spiegs hate really. The music thing was there before and the boss man knew going in. More power to him for doing it. As far as interns go Spiegs made his way through intern/producer hell to get here. I am sure that for every slight we see or hear he is provided many times the guidance etc. I didlike the Matty thing but hell the guy apologized because he knew it was wrong and he takes his jokes about it from Drinky quietly.

He isn't my first choice to team but Mac but he is honest generally doesn't mail it in and has grown on me some. I also will miss hit and run with him actually. What the hell though... when you get to a certain point on the radio ladder you don't work weekends anymore. Some may recall Mac used to have to do Bears weekends until he was higher on the chain.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
El Furpyo wrote:
I've seen them do countless bands

Am I the only one who read this and immediately got a mental image of Speagol in a skin-tight 2 piece bikini top shaking what the good lord gave him to get backstage and meet Keith Richards?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:23 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
El Furpyo wrote:
I've seen them do countless bands

Am I the only one who read this and immediately got a mental image of Speagol in a skin-tight 2 piece bikini top shaking what the good lord gave him to get backstage and meet Keith Richards?

Probably.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Not sure why you think Fitzgerald's doesn't host rock and roll, nor do I get the old people in chairs reference. I've been to a number of rock shows there and everyone was standing throughout. Reasonable prices & a decent beer selection as well.

Tall Midget wrote:
If you've been around long enough to remember how awesome a 1979 Subverts show at Oz was, you know what that makes you? Pretty fucking old! JORR, you are a self-hating senior citizen. I suggest you head over to the hospital to get checked for early-onset Alzheimer's--because you seem to have forgotten what decade you're living in--and stop being such a crabby old codger. Fitzgerald's is great: interesting music played to audiences who actually know why they're attending a given show. That's not what you'll find at a lot of rock venues around town where the comparatively youthful crowds you seem to fetishize are more likely to be talking over the music than listening to it.

First, I never suggested FitzGerald's didn't host rock and roll bands. What they don't do is host rock and roll shows. They are in business to accommodate the older crowd that cares about things like beer selection. And that is the very antithesis of the rock and roll ethic. Rock and roll and youth culture are inextricably linked. Rock and roll is a middle finger to your old man. But how can it be when he's banging his dopey head right next to you? To me, FitzGerald's is the embodiment of that.

And yeah, I am pretty fucking old. I'm also usually smart enough not to act like a teenager. But I don't want to go gentle into that good night either. The problem with today's rock and roll is like everything else. It's been co-opted by money. And who has the money? The rich old guy or the rich old guy's kid when he deigns to give it to him. And the rich old guy doesn't rock. He wants to take a fucking limo to sit in a skybox and eat from a dessert cart while watching Keith and Mick. Again, it ain't what I call rock and roll. But to each his own.

Finally, the very fact that anyone thinks people should be expected to quietly watch a rock show misses the entire point of the medium. It isn't a fucking opera or the symphony. I don't need to sit like I'm in a motherfucking church service at a rock show. FUCK JOE JACKSON! Yeah, that's a motherfuckin' cigarette too! One of the best things about punk rock was the lack of a line between performer and audience. The fact that a punk rock stage is at floor level is symbolic. I'm sure some old guy with earplugs might shush me at FitzGerald's if I cough too loudly during another scintillating set by Clifton Chenier or Marcia Ball.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:18 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:44 pm 

The last rock show I saw in a small club somebody picked some reader glasses up off the floor and asked if anyone in my group had dropped them.

ROCK & ROLL, BITCH!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:50 am 

Hi.

Hopslam.

Last edited by spanky on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:55 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
This is the only cover band I would pay something other than a 5 dollar bar cover to see.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:46 am 

El Furpyo wrote:
I think the anti-Spiegs bias is so strong here that this won't be heard, but this is absolutely a cosmic live experience--I've seen them do countless bands and they are serious musicians who have a good time too...
:lol: Cosmic live experience?

I've never seen a groupie for a cover band.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Furpyo is either a relative/friend of "yourmom" or a significant other of one of the band members.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Furpyo is either a relative/friend of "yourmom" or a significant other of one of the band members.
She's just under the cosmic spell of Matt Spiegel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:15 pm 

No, I don't think hating on Laurence and hating Spiegs are disometrically opposed. I certainly find both of them pompous assholes. Guys like Bernsie, Boers, Danny Mac; they all put in their time and are the "top shelf" guys at WSCR. Larry and Meatpants aren't in the same caliber; and that's what annoys me when either of them get all high and mighty/I know more than the common fan/I'm better than a co-worker bullshit.

One is a comic book nerd who gets bumped from his show almost 7 months of the year; the other is a rock and roller wannabe.

Speigs says his "dream of rock stardom officially died at age 27, and was buried with a smile." He certainly doesn't act like it. To say that, but then write what was in the original post?

No, he really thinks this tribute band gig somehow puts him as an artist. Might be willing to put in the work to make the music sound as good as possible; but he certainly isn't "an artist."

Artists create; they don't copy. Even copying to perfection is still copying. (see Baffoe, aka "idiot" on being better than perfection, but I digress.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frontman wrote:
No, I don't think hating on Laurence and hating Spiegs are disometrically opposed. I certainly find both of them pompous assholes. Guys like Bernsie, Boers, Danny Mac; they all put in their time and are the "top shelf" guys at WSCR. Larry and Meatpants aren't in the same caliber; and that's what annoys me when either of them get all high and mighty/I know more than the common fan/I'm better than a co-worker bullshit.

One is a comic book nerd who gets bumped from his show almost 7 months of the year; the other is a rock and roller wannabe.

Speigs says his "dream of rock stardom officially died at age 27, and was buried with a smile."

Thats when he realized Meat Loaf wasnt dying anytime soon.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next