It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Granted, Goff's posse is less glamorous than Lebron's. His included a couple of lowly pollacks in Shepkowski and Zawaski. (I'm half polish. So shut up.)

Anyway, Goff is giving it to Phil Jackson right now. Fuck you Phil Jackson. Ya racist cracker!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
When will you and your posse leave, Beardown?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Beardown wrote:
Granted, Goff's posse is less glamorous than Lebron's. His included a couple of lowly pollacks in Shepkowski and Zawaski. (I'm half polish. So shut up.)

That explains why you can't spell "Polack".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
spmack wrote:
When will you and your posse leave, Beardown?

Kamps...this place is the only thing that's keeping the girl chained to Beardown's furnace alive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Fuck did I tune in at the wrong time.

What are Goff's thought on Insane Clown Posse?

I assume pretty soon we won't be able to say any words.

Maybe I just don't get it, BUT I DON'T GET IT.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

McDude wrote:

It's funny because in one breath Goff said he doesn't think that Phil is racist. Then in the next breath he pretty much said that Phil is racist. :lol: Goff is something. So much runs through his mind when he's on his rants. He can't keep up with his brain. So by the time it comes out of his mouth, he's all over the place.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Phil Who?

McCracken?

We all know he's racist.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Earlier today (around 9:15-ish) Goff was saying how he used to love to watch the NHL Draft and some Norwegian guy would get drafted and his family would be all excited because he just cashed in and they'd all be taking Slovenian.

Spiegel pointed out that Norwegian and Slovenian are two very different things and Goff laughed it off with a "whatever" or something.

Phil Jackson is racially insensitive, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Phil Jackson has always been a jack ass. I always thought that of him. Even when he was here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Beardown wrote:

Anyway, Goff is giving it to Phil Jackson right now. Fuck you Phil Jackson. Ya racist cracker!!!!

Is "posse" racist now? I know we're now on to "coded" racial pejoratives like "urban" and "well-spoken", but white people can't even refer to someone's crew/entourage as a "posse" now without being branded a racist? Christ.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Beardown wrote:
McDude wrote:

It's funny because in one breath Goff said he doesn't think that Phil is racist. Then in the next breath he pretty much said that Phil is racist. :lol: Goff is something. So much runs through his mind when he's on his rants. He can't keep up with his brain. So by the time it comes out of his mouth, he's all over the place.

I love Jason and always will, but this is true for the time being.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Is "posse" racist now?

Only to those looking for klansmen under their beds.

99 racial problems, but a posse ain't one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

pos·se
ˈpäsē/Submit
noun
UShistorical

a body of men, typically armed, summoned by a sheriff to enforce the law.
BRITISHhistorical

the body of men in a county whom the sheriff could summon to enforce the law.
noun: posse comitatus; plural noun: posse comitatus
informal

a group of people who have a common characteristic, occupation, or purpose.
"he pompously led around a posse of medical students"

synonyms: gang, band, group, crowd, pack, horde, herd, throng, mob, swarm, troop, cluster; More

There are 3 definitions. The last one isn't insensitive. Why can't that be the word that's used under that definition?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:12 pm 

Management, rather than cite the specific instances I would request you take a flamethrower to the entire thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Beardown wrote:
McDude wrote:

His brain cant keep up with his mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Tad Queasy wrote:
Earlier today (around 9:15-ish) Goff was saying how he used to love to watch the NHL Draft and some Norwegian guy would get drafted and his family would be all excited because he just cashed in and they'd all be taking Slovenian.

Spiegel pointed out that Norwegian and Slovenian are two very different things and Goff laughed it off with a "whatever" or something.

If Jason really watched NHL drafts, he would know that Norway and Slovenia are notoriously poor producers of hockey talent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

That's a lie. No way Jason Goff has ever watched the NHL draft.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Tad Queasy wrote:

Obviously what animates racial sensitivities here is slave history and then post-slave discrimination. Theoretically someone concerned with not inflaming racial tensions would extend that concern to all races, but the truth is not all races here have experienced what African Americans have, so the context is dramatically different when language targets African Americans or when African American stereotypes or whatever are invoked as opposed to the same thing happening to other people. Being a racial minority also adds some difference. If one is in the majority of whatever category, be it gender, race, religion, all of the above, etc., I think it's useful to think of yourself being placed in a nation where you're in the minority. Given your precarious situation numbers-wise, I think your language antenna would shoot through the roof if someone were to engage in racially coded language that targets your race, sort of like how some minorities react (whether justified or not) over here.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:46 pm 

Grab them by the posse...I always say.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:58 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Obviously what animates racial sensitivities here is slave history and then post-slave discrimination. Theoretically someone concerned with not inflaming racial tensions would extend that concern to all races, but the truth is not all races here have experienced what African Americans have, so the context is dramatically different when language targets African Americans or when African American stereotypes or whatever are invoked as opposed to the same thing happening to other people. Being a racial minority also adds some difference. If one is in the majority of whatever category, be it gender, race, religion, all of the above, etc., I think it's useful to think of yourself being placed in a nation where you're in the minority. Given your precarious situation numbers-wise, I think your language antenna would shoot through the roof if someone were to engage in racially coded language that targets your race, sort of like how some minorities react (whether justified or not) over here.

Excellent breakdown of the phenomenon and why it is special to black people in America. However, I contend that when the end result is insinuating someone is a racist (which Goff did, and does on the regular), with all that term entails in this day and age (it is both watered-down yet still an incredibly potent weapon), it is on those with the large antennae to not take umbrage and make disparaging insinuations, at every signal moving their ostensibly sensitive meters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but the word posse doesn't have a negative connotation and when it was frequently used in the 80s and 90s it wasn't in a negative sense. I don't think Jackson meant it that way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:07 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but the word posse doesn't have a negative connotation and when it was frequently used in the 80s and 90s it wasn't in a negative sense. I don't think Jackson meant it that way.

Olin Kreutz was right: modern discourse has devolved into a contest of who can call the other side racist first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Funny you said that. Yesterday, Anderson Cooper had a guest that said the same thing. The guest was a national political radio host. I forget his name.

Anyway, he said that in recent years and especially over this campaign, everybody is called a racist. So it means nothing. Saying that is devalued. I mean you used to have to have proof to call somebody a racist. Now you don't.

Goff is a part of that crowd that throws it around too much. It's because of Goff that we can't identify and destroy the "real racists"... Like Dan Bernstein.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:18 pm 

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I guess it doesn't bother me much as it generally is not very important issues but Goff uses the card. He uses it all the time. name just about any controversy or story and he can put a racist tag on any straw man.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Tad Queasy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

But it definitely had a negative connotation in the way he used it there. I don't think Jackson meant to insult James (or anyone else), but he was chiding him, and he picked that word to do it. Actually, Phil is probably so arrogant that he thinks he can't be racist or say anything racist. He's spent his life in "The League", one of the few places in America where black supremacy reigns. Would Phil ever say, "Trump and his posse are hunkered down in Trump Tower"? Maybe he would, but if he did it would be denigrating in the same way, and purposely so. The racial component would be gone but it would be an insult nonetheless.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Tad Queasy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I also happened to think it was insulting maybe but not racist, so I was surprised when I read about the reaction. Then again, I'm not black. Again you're going to hear things differently depending on context - being called "boy" is going to sound different coming from your best friend from high school as opposed to a millionaire executive with whom you have no personal relationship, for example.

This isn't really germane to the discussion, but while I think political correctness goes too far at times I also think critics of PC culture sometimes fail to have some basic empathy. For example, you have every right to use the word "retard" to describe my mentally disabled daughter/brother/whatever instead of saying "person with a disability," but you're coming off as a fucking douchebag to that person and his/her family while doing it.

Edit: Haven't listened to Goff so I'm not in any position to defend him. He's an idiot anyway.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:55 am 
Site Admin

veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I also happened to think it was insulting maybe but not racist, so I was surprised when I read about the reaction. Then again, I'm not black. Again you're going to hear things differently depending on context - being called "boy" is going to sound different coming from your best friend from high school as opposed to a millionaire executive with whom you have no personal relationship, for example.

This isn't really germane to the discussion, but while I think political correctness goes too far at times I also think critics of PC culture sometimes fail to have some basic empathy. For example, you have every right to use the word "retard" to describe my mentally disabled daughter/brother/whatever instead of saying "person with a disability," but you're coming off as a fucking douchebag to that person and his/her family while doing it.

To me, context means everything. I don't think there are "bad" words or words that should never be said. All words have their place. For example, if you said "the Special Olympics are played by a bunch of retards", I think most can agree that that's offensive, but if you said, "My God, Sean Hannity is a fucking retard", it's pretty appropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
There are way too many words in a thread about Jason Goff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:24 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

slave literally derives from slav, a group which includes Slovenians but does not include Norwegians