It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mac's 8-27 Column
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
I missed Mac's column yesterday, and this paragraph made me stop reading the rest of it.

Quote:
This is described best as wasted energy -- ''The Dave Wannstedt Effect.'' More than a decade after Wannstedt stormed the Bears' sideline, nervously mashing his fingers through his hair, he remains vilified as if he molested collies.

Molested collies? What the hell does that even mean?

I get the fact that Wannstedt was villified, but the comparison Mac made was really dumb. In immortal words (sic- because it's only 1 word) of Hawk Harrelson, "Stretch!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't find molesting collies to be a villifiable offense. Unless they're Catholic. :oops:

Post subject: Re: Mac's 8-27 Column
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:49 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
yeah, careful of the catholic dog fuckers....i hear they hang out in the wrigley bleachers racially slurring milton bradley.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:02 am 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
I missed Mac's column yesterday, and this paragraph made me stop reading the rest of it.

Quote:
This is described best as wasted energy -- ''The Dave Wannstedt Effect.'' More than a decade after Wannstedt stormed the Bears' sideline, nervously mashing his fingers through his hair, he remains vilified as if he molested collies.

I get the fact that Wannstedt was villified, but the comparison Mac made was really dumb. In immortal words (sic- because it's only 1 word) of Hawk Harrelson, "Stretch!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't find molesting collies to be a villifiable offense. Unless they're Catholic. :oops:

Just a Caddyshack reference

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

Quote:

Ty says it to Lacey in regards to Smails in Caddyshack ... I believe the exact quote is "your uncle molests collies".

Other than that, I'm pretty sure the meaning is pretty clear; I think this is a case of the problem coming from the user-end of the transaction.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:12 am 

I think the 6 years of non-success in Miami gave validation to those who may have vilified Wanny, and thus the end of concern for all things Dave. I’ve caught a handful of Pitt games over the past few seasons and he’s still the same coach, more media favorite than great coach.

This year’s team is projected to be his best, with several predictions of a conference championship. But it’s still the “Big East” and with the departures of Boston College, Miami, and Virginia Tech, it is no longer a top football conference (IMHO). 2 games of note will be October 2, at Louisville, a prime time nationally televised game, and November 14, home against Notre Dame. A chance for Irish lovers/haters to focus on Wannstedt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Thanks for the Caddyshack heads up. I'm more of a movie paraphraser than quoter.

I probably should be embarrassed that I didn't catch that reference, but I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Given the context of how it was used, I still put it on the author. I don't want to say Mac went Dennis Miller on the audience given that it was a reference to a very popular movie, but...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:40 am 

Keep in mind that HFC were big Wannie fans.

I keep my flame of hatred lit for Wannie because, after all the failure as a head coach, he still gets praised . The man is living off of assistant coaching success from the last millenium. I also found him to be both hypocritcal and a liar in his time with the Bears, yet he was kept for as long as he was because he attended mass every morning with the Mc Claskeys.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:48 am 
1000 CLUB

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
Thanks for the Caddyshack heads up. I'm more of a movie paraphraser than quoter.

I probably should be embarrassed that I didn't catch that reference, but I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Given the context of how it was used, I still put it on the author. I don't want to say Mac went Dennis Miller on the audience given that it was a reference to a very popular movie, but...

Well next time be more careful!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

Nah ... it's not like it's one of the home-run lines ... it's people like me who should be embarssed that with no warning or other contextual reference I was able to pick-up an otherwise random phrase and pinpoint it's origin with almost Pavlovian speed. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:44 am 

Mac wrote: Kyle Orton spent four years wearing a Bears uniform. His tenure here is described best as uninspiring. ''Uneventful'' is a good word, too. In fact, take any adjective that begins with ''un'' and chances are excellent it applies to Orton's run with the Bears.

Is he describing Orton or his columns?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
No Clever Moniker wrote:
I think the 6 years of non-success in Miami gave validation to those who may have vilified Wanny, and thus the end of concern for all things Dave. I’ve caught a handful of Pitt games over the past few seasons and he’s still the same coach, more media favorite than great coach.

This year’s team is projected to be his best, with several predictions of a conference championship. But it’s still the “Big East” and with the departures of Boston College, Miami, and Virginia Tech, it is no longer a top football conference (IMHO). 2 games of note will be October 2, at Louisville, a prime time nationally televised game, and November 14, home against Notre Dame. A chance for Irish lovers/haters to focus on Wannstedt.

The Orange Bowl tie in with the ACC and Big Least is brutal.

WOO LIFE!!!!