It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:15 pm 

THE THING that annoys me about this show is the fact that Spiegel is DETERMINED TO MIMIC Mac's cadence.
Does TALENT tell the PRODUCERS that they must speak in the exact same manner?
IN FAIRNESS TO SPIEGEL I also hear Abbatacola and Holmes MIMICKING THE CADENCE OF BERNSTEIN AT TIMES. It doesn't make it any less annoying, but with SPEIGEL it's every FUCKING SENTENCE!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I DON'T KNOWING WHAT WE'RE TYPING IN ALL CAPS ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
JackBurton60622 wrote:
THE THING that annoys me about this show is the fact that Spiegel is DETERMINED TO MIMIC Mac's cadence.
IN FAIRNESS TO SPIEGEL I also hear Abbatacola and Holmes MIMICKING THE CADENCE OF BERNSTEIN AT TIMES. It doesn't make it any less annoying, but with SPEIGEL it's every FUCKING SENTENCE!!!!

:thumleft:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
JackBurton60622 wrote:

There is some truth to this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Strangely, I enjoy Spiegel when he's by himself, or at least the Hit & Run's that i have heard.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Krazy Ivan wrote:
JackBurton60622 wrote:

I don't think it would sound right if Spiegel was slow and droning.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
JackBurton60622 wrote:

I don't think it would sound right if Spiegel was slow and droning.

Probably not. But until 'ol Jack Burton posted it I didn't realize that Meatpants was doing that. Now it's very clear. It's been a rather tough listen for me lately and I've found myself listening to Waddle & Silvy the last few days. Much smoother listen. Still the best sports talk show IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

I was off work today and listened to the show for a little bit. Did I hear Mac right when he said the show had a one year deal and than 2 1/2 months were done already? If so, I'd guess they are in trouble because even on this board, the group that consists of his biggest fans, people don't seem to think much of the show.
Spiegel did a good job on Sunday by himself, so maybe there is another problem with the show.
To me, for the little I listened, it seems like the last years of the old show. I thought Mac promised that the new show would be fresh and different. What do you true fans think?

(I'll wait for Stu's beatdown) :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
You heard correctly. A year deal. Garner ratings or else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm a big fan of Mac and listen to this show over Waddle and Silvy exclusively since it came on but am realizing more and more that I'm not enjoying the show as much as I want to. I find myself trying to like it. Can't figure out if it's just the pairing but am thinking that's it more and more because I really like each guy separately and have listened to Mac for years. Also this might sound goofy but I don't like the way Speigel rips on Mac. It's not really funny and constantly drags the show down quality wise. I liked when Mac, Jurko, and Harry ripped on each other but there's something off or resentful when it's done on this show that I don't like. Still listening every day but hoping for a lot of improvement and a few memorable moments. After listening every day I should be able to think back and chuckle at a few thoughts or bits but I can't think of one. Other shows that I listen to less have had more for me recently and that's concerning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Village Pizza
I agree with hawkeye, I really want to like this show but the more I listen the more I dislike it. All the reasons that have been brought up already (cadence, laughing, etc.) I notice more and more each time I tune in.

Perhaps Mac was better on the Saloon due to it's direct competition: B&B. Completely different tones and styles so when B&B got annoying you could switch over to WMVP and get a completely different listen...The Danny Mac Show and Waddle & Silvy don't quite complement each other in the way B&B and MJH did: it's more like W&S is simply a much better, more polished version of Mac & Meat.

All that being said, I STILL will try my luck with Danny Mac, but so far I've seen very little improvement and reason not to PTFB, except maybe I just don't like ESPN and hate to concede that they don't always produce garbage.

When it comes to eating pizza off your belly while laying down, you do it like no one can!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Village Pizza
Wooley's Gone Apeshit wrote:
I agree with hawkeye, I really want to like this show but the more I listen the more I dislike it. All the reasons that have been brought up already (cadence, laughing, etc.) I notice more and more each time I tune in.

Perhaps Mac was better on the Saloon due to it's direct competition: B&B. Completely different tones and styles so when B&B got annoying you could switch over to WMVP and get a completely different listen...The Danny Mac Show and Waddle & Silvy don't quite complement each other in the way B&B and MJH did: it's more like W&S is simply a much better, more polished version of Mac & Meat.

All that being said, I STILL will try my luck with Danny Mac, but so far I've seen very little improvement and reason not to PTFB, except maybe I just don't like ESPN and hate to concede that they don't always produce garbage.

Just to clarify, there is absolutely no comparison between B&B and CJH now, at least 'in my sportsradio world.'

When it comes to eating pizza off your belly while laying down, you do it like no one can!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
I hate laughter. Fake or real. Rather hear a sound drop than than har-dee-har and such. It's helping fill the room Spiegs has to cover for all of Mac's awful humor. Does meatpants get to touch the drop bank?

Would like to continue to hear Miska and Zawaski(?) from the other side of the glass. Do they take enough callers? Will I answer my own question? Yes. I always hear the number given out at the top of every show(not just the DannyPantsShow one)and they might get one or two in the first half hour.

I've had smiles and eyerolls within a matter of moments listening to the show. Enjoy the segment derailments, always fun. Equipment malfunctions(the ones even little blue diamonds can't fix)hi-lairious. Do they get an intern?

All I know is Mon. Sept. 14th 9am the real show begins. I expect to hear the loudest/awesomest open ever after a Bears win in the history of radio. At least that's what I've been told will happen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I think I'm just waiting for MJH parts 2, 3, 4 and 5. Clearly thats not going to happen. I am unsure if thats a good or a bad thing.

I listened to the Saloon today and it was just Carmen and Jurko...pretty solid for the most part. It made me miss the banter between Mac and Jurko.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
How dare you guys rip the Mac show!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 pm 

cant listen at work...but a question...did everyone hate mjh at first too? it took me a while to like that show

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I listened to the Saloon today and it was just Carmen and Jurko...pretty solid for the most part. It made me miss the banter between Mac and Jurko.

I caught a lot of it today and yeah it was pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:48 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I caught a lot of it today and yeah it was pretty good.

yeah i listened for a bit yesterday and it was decent. Carmen was even soljd. Im not a fan of his but ill say this...his vocal ability delivery and preperation have always been outstanding...he seems to be very professional about it which isnt that common in the industry. Also gloop seemed more serious less jurko the clown...which is good but dont kill off jurko the Clown...he's still funny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 am 
1000 CLUB

Score is doomed wrote:
I was off work today and listened to the show for a little bit. Did I hear Mac right when he said the show had a one year deal and than 2 1/2 months were done already? If so, I'd guess they are in trouble because even on this board, the group that consists of his biggest fans, people don't seem to think much of the show.
Spiegel did a good job on Sunday by himself, so maybe there is another problem with the show.
To me, for the little I listened, it seems like the last years of the old show. I thought Mac promised that the new show would be fresh and different. What do you true fans think?

(I'll wait for Stu's beatdown) :lol: :lol:

Sid I have told you and you're brother Gloopy to comment all you want about the show because I don't care and you're post is a pretty good one by the way. When the mults come out and just throw shit against the wall to see what sticks then it's time for me to have some fun. Some of these goofs post on Facebook as we have about 26 guys who post there as well and someone always sez something that I catch and I say he or she is a fucking mult and out themselfs without knowing it and you know who you are. :P I can rat out some dudes/chicks but I won't, as it's all fun and games here anyway. :wink:

The show is ok and again I'll say a few things about it here. Mac is a afternoon drive guy and belongs in that time slot and Im not sure the show has come together from a producers stand point yet as Zederman and Finji did an awesome job with the MJH show as it flowed and they seemed to feed the shows energy and Mac had a format of jumping from topic to topic and made the show flow.That's not to say that won't happen here but they have a long way to go and you can leave Slappy's little squeeze Kerry out of the show for side bars as well.Don't Bring her in as the 3rd wheel for 10 seconds. Mac must be pressing his pud up against the glass during her reports as she stumples over copy as much as WKRP'S Les Nesmen used to do. .

Over-all it's a work in progress and will see where Mac takes it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:49 am 

pizza_Place: ***
At what point do we stop saying "work in progress"? How long does it take for two guys to get used to talking about sports together?

Also: if Mac has lost the CSFMB, perception out in the real world must look real bad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:30 am 

IMO...Mac show is too "laughy" like others have stated. It seems like both guys are trying to deliver "zingers" or pull in some inane reference to "whatever"...and because of that....the show seems to struggle for direction. SIlvy & Waddle certainly have fun, but it seems less contrived. I tend to start out w/ Mac show...but find myself PTFB often over to 1000.

The beauty of this is....I have choices! I no longer have Jim Shorts as my only mid-day sports guy! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:42 am 

Keep on loggin' those flight miles, Mac. Sounds like you're really winning the people over!

Early on, I said this show was two guys yelling at each other in artificial "always-on" voices, trying to be funny, deliver zingers, and make movie and music references more in the interest of creating segment intros for future shows, rather than just talking sports. Sounds like not much has changed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Allegro con Pizza
Yeah, it is just all-important for Mac to be "cool". In attempting to do so he comes off much more lame than he can imagine. His schtick is just wary and not new or creative. It is like the annoying friend jumping up and down and joking incessantly to get your attention. What really exacerbates the problem is that Meatpants is just like him. He's like the annoying friends yiping dog jumping up and down for his attention. It has to stop or there won't be a second year and the ratings are the facts that bear this out. While I'm not a huge Silvy & Waddle fan, they are a much easier listen and you get more sports talk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:52 am 

walkrman5 wrote:
IMO...Mac show is too "laughy" like others have stated. It seems like both guys are trying to deliver "zingers" or pull in some inane reference to "whatever"...and because of that....the show seems to struggle for direction.

Sounds similar to B&B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I believe that it was a big mistake that they put mac in the day slot vs Silvy and Waddle. Theirs is a very solid show. I think he would have done better vs the saloon. I also wish he could have brought Jurko along. I listen more to Mac, no doubt, but I still switch over to Silvy and Waddle at times and miss listening to them full time. I have to say, I listen far more to the Saloon these days, than B&B and I really thought that without Mac, that wouldn't happen. But I found that I missed Jurko and Harry and I think Carmen has improved as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Hmmmm.... Carmen seems to be improving with more flight miles while Mackeyfish and company are stuck in the quagmire.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:59 am 

Yikes, Mr. McNeil, I took some time off from your show (and this specific forum) and just tuned in ... not sure if it's possible, but your show may have gotten worse.

I think the posts in this thread do a pretty good job of outlining the problems ... I'll add in my disdain for your ridiculous produced bumpers. Your conversations on a given topic aren't that funny naturally, so you having your guys add in some music/movie lines REALLY comes off as lame. I've been told that this is one of your "things", but man do they sound ridiculously bad to me.

I'm not a radio guy - I'm not a producer - I'm not a program director. I'm just a listener. And while you would most likely tell me to push the button, I think it's about time you actually listen to the hardcore fans here (and in the feedback zone) and implement some real changes to your show/delivery etc.

You co-host has been improperly placed in the side car, you seem hell bent to do it "your way" (which really does remind me of North), and your return to The Score has been a huge disappointment for me (again, I was one of the dudes who called in sick to hear The Score fire up for the first time back in the day).

I'm not sure exactly why, but The Score has gone from something I could keep on all day to something I can only pick and choose ... and, this week, there really is no reason to listen (as the Bernstein/Holmes pairing is about the only thing I could label as WORSE than your show).

I'm sure you'll not reply, of if you do you'll tell me to PTFB ... consider it done, your show is bad and it appears that despite your many attempts to ingratiate yourself with the fans, even that can't cover up the stink that your show produces.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
As one of the board's most avid mediocrity fetishists, I gave Meatpants and the Meatball another listen today. What others have suggested seems true: The show hasn't improved with age. If anything, it's gotten worse. Today's show was almost hilariously bad. In the 9:00 hour, Mac and Spiegel appeared to be doing their best imitation of what I imagine sports talk radio sounded like in 1997 Topeka by encouraging spectators at tomorrow's Cub-Sox game to wear Bears colors as some kind of protest against bad baseball. Their whole discussion sounded amateurish, anachronistic, and slightly desperate. Next they introduced Kerry Sayers into the conversation so they could collectively evaluate Jay Cutler's photo layout in a magazine. Since none of them really seemed to have any cogent thoughts about the photographs, I assume they broached the topic only to draw traffic to the station's website, where the photos can be found. My listening concluded with the appearance of their fantasy football "expert", Paul Charchian, whose radio persona can only be likened to that of a screaming, pustulant elf. Mac seems to like this guy a lot, and I guess that makes sense since Charchian is yet another eardrum-blowing cretin who seems focused on masking the nondescript nature of his thoughts by cultivating a "unique" broadcasting style--ie, shouting. All things considered, the show remains a train wreck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:13 pm 

I dread the day that Tall Midget does an evaluation of me. :lol:

Good stuff.