It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:06 pm 

Comments like, who was it, Harry Seaward?, who tuned in for five minutes and heard talk of the fantasy football draft in my basement and had to go away, casting eternal aspersions because of several minutes of what guys talk about. Harry must be jealous the basement in which he dwells is at mom and dad's. Or that he doesn't have enough friends to form a fantasy league. Don't worry, douchebag, you'll make out. Go to a support group meeting for gu8ys with testicular cancer and you may find your vacation.

And the recent cry "Spiegel got the gig 'cuz he's Mac's friend" is one of the most uninformed, off-the-mark comments made in years on this board. Spiegel is on the show because I thought he "answered yes" to more questions than other available partners and Mitch Rosen agreed. The next time I recommend "a friend" for a position for which I don't believe he's qualified, will be the first. That goes for on-air guys, producers, sales, promotions... all of it. My judgments have been solid once and the guys "on the Mac tree" are evidence of it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:
My judgments have been solid once and the guys "on the Mac tree" are evidence of it."

Mac, I'm not sure if you mean "solid once" or "solid ones." Please clarify as both are possibilities.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:30 pm 

Thanks, C. Solid ones. That would be it, Sir.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:34 pm 

Of all the things written here THIS is what keeps you from reading? That seems off. Something else bothering you MAC? Are you happy with the show so far?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Too thin skinny.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Quote:
Spiegel is on the show because I thought he "answered yes" to more questions than other available partners

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:
Of all the things written here THIS is what keeps you from reading? That seems off. Something else bothering you MAC? Are you happy with the show so far?

RP Bryan, I think Mac is pleased with the show to this point, but seems kinda annoyed with all the Matt Spiegel bashing since signing back on the SCORE in June.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:44 pm 

Not skin thinny, Darkside. The hair splitting gets old. I welcome the suggestions and feedback, I swear I do. I agree with many criticisms. That bit we did on "making a statement" if you're going to Cubs-Sox last week was limp. It failed miserably. I knew it before I read it here. This confirmed what I already was thinking so the next day I deep-sixed it. I'm talking about the incessant whining over the really stupid stuff, like music beds, 30 seconds of music or movie discussion, hanging with buddies at a fantasy draft. I am a consumer, too, and I don't like every freaking thing my favorite shows do... but I don't surface on a message board vowing to write off Letterman because a bit failed or I didn't like one interview. There's too much of a penchant here for "absolutes" because of a small sample size. It's what makes this a tough place lately. And I'm not the only one who's observed it. I believe Curious Hair spoke for many of us in a recent post about the ridiculous nature of the Elmhurst Steve thread. It started in a very amusing fashion. I laughed at loud several times. But after the first 12 or 13 pages... it got personal, redundant and a lot of displaced anger and deep-rooted issues were unearthed. I like my entertainment diversions to help me take a departure from those things, ya know what I mean?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:45 pm 

Mac, there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
SHARK wrote:

:lol: I don't care what anyone else says, you're the best SHARK!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:48 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
Quote:
Spiegel is on the show because I thought he "answered yes" o more questions than other available partners

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah :lol: That was the absolute worst possible phrasing he could have used Mac: You know how to wash a boat? Meat: Yes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: sausage
Spiegel has been a pleasant suprise how well he has meshed with you. I think that in the next three months you will be neck and neck with Waddle and Silvy.

Spiegel is not a yes man and is well rounded in all sports. That is rare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:50 pm 

SHARK wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

RP Bryan, I think Mac is pleased with the show to this point, but seems kinda annoyed with all the Matt Spiegel bashing since signing back on the SCORE in June.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks SHARK. Anyone else you wanna speak for?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:52 pm 

This is just an educated guess on my part, but Matt Spiegel was probably the most qualified co-host for Mac's second tour of duty on The SCORE and NOT under contract to the "four letter" station down the dial. One person Spiegs isn't...HARRY!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
SHARK wrote:
This is just an educated guess on my part, but Matt Spiegel was probably the most qualified co-host for Mac's second tour of duty on The SCORE and NOT under contract to the "four letter" station down the dial. One person Spiegs isn't...HARRY!

Aren't all stations 4 letters? WBEZ, WBBM.... Well I guess there's WGN, but isn't that like one of the only ones?
Which 4 letter station do you mean?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:59 pm 

Darkside wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Aren't all stations 4 letters? WBEZ, WBBM.... Well I guess there's WGN, but isn't that like one of the only ones?
Which 4 letter station do you mean?

Darkside, I think you know the one...Where Mac used to work before rejoining The SCORE, but it's better known as the one SCORE guys don't like mentioning. :wink: It's 330 spots north of 670...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Some of these posts by Mac are a little weird tonight but he is dead on about the goofy shit that has been posted over the last month or so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
spadaesq wrote:
Spiegel has been a pleasant suprise how well he has meshed with you. I think that in the next three months you will be neck and neck with Waddle and Silvy.

Spiegel is not a yes man and is well rounded in all sports. That is rare.

Mac, better send him an invoice quickly... otherwise, I hear he doesn't feel like he has to pay.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
It's 330 spots north of 670...

Actually only 33 slots as the FCC hands the AM freqs out in 10 kHz intervals, but your point is taken.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I don't understand the consternation over music talk, movie talk, grilling talk, life talk, and other instances of going "off the board," especially when there's really not that much of it in the first place, and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if there was more of it. I'm no program director,but "sports talk" as a radio format is a misnomer at best and unviable at worst. It has to be "guy talk." There's simply not enough relevant sports content to fill an entire station. Talk radio is a format of intimacy; by actively listening to a show for hours a day, days a week, often alone, you develop connections with the hosts, connections that are deeper than any connections people profess to make with characters in scripted programs. "Hosts talking about their lives" is not in and of itself a failing (though in North's case, it was). I like to ascertain that the people I listen to are people with personalities and idiosyncrasies and lives beyond sports and the mic, and not just generators of sports thoughts. B&B are at their very best in non-sports talk, for whatever that's worth.

I remember the horror stories I'd hear about Milwaukee sports talk back in the day. Any time the conversation turned to things that weren't the Packers--things like movies, or frozen custard stands, or girls, or other goddamned sports teams that played in the state of Wisconsin--the phones would light up for all the wrong reasons. "Why aren't you talking about the Packers?" "Talk more about the Packers." Insanity. Again, I'm not a program director, but I'd rather take my chances on catching new listeners who drop in on general discussion at the expense of losing a few narrow-focused sports degenerates.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:58 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
In reply to Mac's comments.I have stated the same thing. Just do the best show you can,don't react just act. Everybody is a critic,including me. There may be bits & pieces of Mac's show I don't like or get,but overall I think it is a great listen. I like the fact that Mat does not act like a "sidekick" or "yes" man. He is Mac's partner & they both are doing a fine job PERIOD EXCLAMATION POINT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:

A wise man once said:

“Constructive criticism is a stupid concept. To construct means to build up. To criticize is to tear down. You can’t do both at the same time. Pick one. Any way you slice a 'crap sammich', at the end, you still have the taste of crap in your mouth. Better to just give it to people straight. We spend way too much time trying to soften the blow and don’t end up serving people well at all.”

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:17 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
jimmypasta wrote:
In reply to Mac's comments.I have stated the same thing. Just do the best show you can,don't react just act. Everybody is a critic,including me. There may be bits & pieces of Mac's show I don't like or get,but overall I think it is a great listen. I like the fact that Mat does not act like a "sidekick" or "yes" man. He is Mac's partner & they both are doing a fine job PERIOD EXCLAMATION POINT

What the hell do people want, interviews with Tom Dreesen?
Political bits?
Mac's dustup with braindead Jim Hendry was great stuff.
The typical failed Chicago sports executive shows no class, brains or decency during an interview.
Guess what, Hendry won't be on daily.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:44 am 

Mac wrote:
I believe Curious Hair spoke for many of us in a recent post about the ridiculous nature of the Elmhurst Steve thread. It started in a very amusing fashion. I laughed at loud several times. But after the first 12 or 13 pages... it got personal, redundant and a lot of displaced anger and deep-rooted issues were unearthed. I like my entertainment diversions to help me take a departure from those things, ya know what I mean?

I don't know exactly what this means, but it was Elmhurst Steve who ruined the thread after page 12 or 13. Your "hall of fame" caller was the one who brought in the uncomfortable nature of the thread and your only response was this.
Mac wrote:
Steve, bring me back "your brand!"

If I were you, I would have been pretty embarrassed that a person you had stuck up for was acting like that. Instead, you seemingly laughed it off.

It's probably unfair to have you brought into that conversation though. Steve is just a caller. It's not like he's a producer or co-host.

I'm just wondering who exactly you are blaming in that situation. Do you not understand that it was largely his own doing? Do you feel that the anger against him was not justified? Since you felt the need to reference it, I'd like you to expand further on what your thoughts were.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Mac

1. why is the stream so goddam unreliable? I swear 30% of the time it doesn't work. I also listen to a small local jazz station (WDCB) online and the stream has worked every single time. I mean ALWAYS.

2. The show is good. Stop paying attention to internet cretins.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:13 am 

- I am sort of surprised with the fantasy fball talk. I remember Mac riding Harry pretty good about that. I realize mac & Spieg are trying to do it a little differently...but I am not into fantasy fball, so I PTFB if I don't like the talk. I understand there is an interest & an audience, but it just is not for me. I get really pissed on gameday listening to people talk about their fantasy rosters and match ups. I could give a fuck.

- As for the talk of Mac's basement, fantasy draft, and so on....I thought that sounded like a great time. The Bears game was on, the boys were over, meats were cooked, beverages flowed. That works for me...except the fantasy fball part.

My two cents.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:43 am 

Mac, what do you really expect from the internet? Intelligent discourse? :lol: You are smarter than that. :mrgreen:

I find the show kind of boring right now but I really can't stand baseball talk so most radio shows are boring me these days. I think it will pick up during football season. It's only been three months after all. I don't remember people being all gaga about MJH after three months in 2001.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Mac wrote:
I believe Curious Hair spoke for many of us in a recent post about the ridiculous nature of the Elmhurst Steve thread. It started in a very amusing fashion. I laughed at loud several times. But after the first 12 or 13 pages... it got personal, redundant and a lot of displaced anger and deep-rooted issues were unearthed. I like my entertainment diversions to help me take a departure from those things, ya know what I mean?

I don't know exactly what this means, but it was Elmhurst Steve who ruined the thread after page 12 or 13. Your "hall of fame" caller was the one who brought in the uncomfortable nature of the thread and your only response was this.
Mac wrote:
Steve, bring me back "your brand!"

If I were you, I would have been pretty embarrassed that a person you had stuck up for was acting like that. Instead, you seemingly laughed it off.

It's probably unfair to have you brought into that conversation though. Steve is just a caller. It's not like he's a producer or co-host.

I'm just wondering who exactly you are blaming in that situation. Do you not understand that it was largely his own doing? Do you feel that the anger against him was not justified? Since you felt the need to reference it, I'd like you to expand further on what your thoughts were.

+ 1 BR.

I think I understand Mac's point in a way - too much piling on and I stand guilty as charged as anyone. However, to throw support behind the whole branding thing after what was said kind of had me scratching my head. I too would like to hear Mac expound.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Hey Rick, there's nothing wrong with insulting an entire race. Not in Mac's eyes anyway. I guess watching American History X a multitude of times doesn't matter....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:21 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i think that the populace is in a fucked up place right now. it's now the norm to be a cynical fuck.
especially here. quick to zing. quick to one-line. quick to criticize. quick to post bullshit.
nobody can post something honest without another replying with a piss poor attempt a humor.
lame.

i'm tired of it. all of it. the message board sucks.

but, at least ND won 35-0 and the NFL starts thursday....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next