It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Capt. Wet Blanket
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Nice segment by Finji today! Would love to hear more of Hub's negative comments rolled into the segment.

Ya know Hub is just waiting for them to lose now so he can have his "I Told You Show" when he talks with his little laugh because it is so comical that anyone could think the bears had a chance.

Post subject: Re: Capt. Wet Blanket
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
you know, the board has done a number on me in regards to listening to loho.... i'd listen to his shit and usually tap out after ~30-45 mintues, but once i came on here and read categorical listings of his numerous flaws, it absolutely ruined my shake that listening experience. hell, at this point i want shake that! back because if redman has ever taught me anything, he taught me to stand up to the haters and be like "i'll bee dat, i'll bee dat"

that said, i'm not quite there on hub. granted hub does tend to see the glass half empty (or realistically, that the glass is only half empty because when the opponents tried to slap it out of the bears hands it did a double flip and there was miraculously a half-glass of water left) i think he does offer up valid points about the weaknesses of the bears. i'll confess that when i got tickets to sunday's game i was like "oh shit, i'm going to have to watch this debacle live?" and sure enough, it was far from what i expected and by the train home i couldn't say a positive thing about the eagles lest i had some drunken bears fans call me a piece of shit hater.

i like hub as a fill-in/weekend host, in fact if i hear him on i tend to listen more often than not... he's quite good with his radio game, he knows how to get you conversating one way or another... i can see that some would say he has bias, but as bernstein referenced today/yesterday, hub has a role on the station as the bears pessimist/reality-checker. i don't get a feeling that he's completely over the top and out-n-out hating on a great team or anything, so in that spirit i'll just keep plugging on along.

oh, but outside of the bears and the cubs (aka his baseball team... doesn't he have seasons?) like donnie, hub is out of his element. i nearly fell off of the couch laughing when he said that lol deng is the most underrated athlete in this town (17/8) and he's sick of hearing about his contract. that was amateur hour stuff, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
True Hub has numerous seasons of watching Bear football, but ya know what, SO DO I!

The difference is that I never had a job as a shill for Dick Jauron and the Bears, then after getting fired from the Bears, turned Sour on everything they do because the competition is never that good.

There is a question of creditability that follows Hub, whether he likes it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Where did Hub play his ball?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
bigfan wrote:
The difference is that I never had a job as a shill for Dick Jauron and the Bears, then after getting fired from the Bears, turned Sour on everything they do because the competition is never that good.

very true. i used to say of coach dick "you know, he seems like a really really good guy. i bet he's the type of guy who you can have over for a family sunday dinner and he'd say grace and make thoughtful conversation that makes everyone feel really good about themselves.... but i don't want him coaching my football team"

lest we forget that brian urlacher only got slid over to middle linebacker after..... barry minter(?) got hurt?. the literally-reactionary conservatism of dick jauron's coaching moves was god-awful. and honestly, i felt really bad for the guy when he'd do the deer-in-headlights schtick(?)/thing like "that's not my show.... but i'm on that show" and you had to wonder if he was all there.

hub is an amusing case study because he clearly has let his football-birthright get to his head. we all remember "WHERE'D YOU COACH YOUR FOOTBALL?" to which i'd retort "WHERE'D YOU PUBLISH YOUR FOOTBALL MAGAZINE?" and if i recally correctly, pro football weekly was created by his father and hub was groomed into his role as EIC and gradually took it over. i think he's old enough as to where it wasn't a birthright, but it's not like he started PFW from teh ground up... he inherited it.

hub's job is to get us talking about football... or well, it's technically to sell us some magazine that's totally antiquated in teh internet age, but basically, when he's on teh score his job is to help the conversation along. that he does... i agree with teh compeition thing because it's not like the bears can flex out of the lions next week and play the steelers because they want to make their season that much more legit.

hell, after the eagles game i got to thinking (~1:30 wait for the metra home. erga) and, with me, i think lovie has reset himself to where he was going into the 2006 season. i used to say of lovie "it's not that i really really like the guy and am waving pom poms for him, but he doesn't piss me off like jauron and wannstedt. i think he does a quality job with what he's given and if he doesn't get the most out of his team he gets enough out of them to put out entertaining football on a week-to-week basis"

obviously i was down on lovie after last season, 100% in the fire-him camp. i was sick of the soft spot in the middle of his defense allowing ~20 yard conversions on third and 15. and when things were bad i was jumping on his mannerisms and press conference demeanor and his smugness.... but now that i really think about it, angelo is the weakest link here. sure he's had some finds in the later rounds, many of which are key parts of our team... but he's whiffed on so many first rounders it's inexcusable. if lovie and his staff are able to mould so many 3rd+ rounders and outcasts from other teams into competitive football players on a weekly basis, imagine what he'd do if he had more thoroughbreds.

the problem is, i think angelo's referendum is tied in with lovie's... and if the bears go 10-6/11-5 and make the playoffs and maybe even win a game, i think the red carpet is there for angelo, which realistically means we're a couple'a injuries/aged-players away from anotehr 3-4 year hole.

it's an odd position to be in as a bears fan... i can understand mac's take from earlier this year. i really don't know... all i do know is that when sunday comes around i'm pulling for the bears. that will never change, even if that means on a weekly basis i'm technically rooting for another 3-4 years of mediocrity-at-best in the longrun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Where did Hub play his ball?

Hub Arkush wrote:
Where did JORR coach?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:46 am 

bigfan wrote:
True Hub has numerous seasons of watching Bear football, but ya know what, SO DO I!

There is a question of creditability that follows Hub, whether he likes it or not.

It's so true. How can we forget Hub being the bane of Score existence 10 years ago. As the regular hosts deservedly bashed the Bears, Hub would get on with his Bears produced and paid for show and tell everyone how foolish they were for thinking the Bears were bad. Hosts literally called him a kiss ass in telephone interviews with him.

Ever since he lost the job, he suddenly recognized the Bears have flaws with the pricipal flaws being the guys who fired him.