It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
Dan,
I thought your article on expectation for the Cats is spot on. I can only take pleasure in the fact that expectations have indeed risen. But now that they have, it's time to live up to the promise. Fitz and crew has had all the opportunities, but can't seem to deliver. I can only hope we can actually string together a few complete games.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-1026-dan-mcneil-northwestern--20121026,0,6809898.column

Thanks again.

It's Time for NU to Produce
Dan McNeil
9:41 p.m. CDT, October 25, 2012
Beginning today, I'm resolving to give Northwestern football what those responsible for it say they desire — reviews that are honest and, if necessary, unmerciful.

When NU recently announced it has conceptualized a $220 million plan for new athletic digs and has marketed itself as "Chicago's Big Ten Team," reasons to treat the Wildcats with kid gloves were removed.

Pat Fitzgerald's team should be looking to jump to 9-0 Saturday when Iowa visits. It isn't. Instead, fingers are crossed in Evanston that the Wildcats don't squander another late lead and can hold off the Hawkeyes to avoid falling to 2-3 in the Big Ten.

Give the Purple a pass because they weren't expected to be that good if you want, but my bar is set higher. In a weak league, there are no acceptable excuses for not delivering knockout punches when an opponent is on the ropes.

Fitzgerald sells championships, not being competitive. Athletic director Jim Phillips isn't packaging sponsor trips to Detroit for late December. His sights are set on warm-weather burgs.

With sanctions keeping Ohio State and Penn State out of the picture this year, a marquee bowl assignment has been right there for Northwestern to claim. But the Wildcats couldn't close out games in State College, Pa., where they were outscored 22-0 in the fourth quarter several weeks ago, or against Nebraska last Saturday at Ryan Field.

Fitzgerald said this week he believes his team's penchant for fourth-quarter collapses has been "over-analyzed." He's right.

There should be every bit as much discussion about how dreadful Northwestern's offense performed in the first quarter in the Wildcats' 29-28 loss to Nebraska.

The Cornhuskers did their part to aid NU's Legends Division title chances by committing stupid penalties and sloppy play on special teams in the first half. But NU scored just one touchdown off three Nebraska turnovers.

Northwestern managed one first down in its first seven possessions. In 17 possessions, NU had 10 three-and-outs.

Quarterback Trevor Siemian had a brutal day opposite one of the most suspect defenses in the country. In a passing attack that emphasizes short routes and ample choices of targets, Siemian was 15-for-35 for 116 yards. That's an average of 3.3 yards per attempt.

Fitzgerald and his staff have asked more of Siemian than he can handle in his sophomore season. He threw only 26 passes as the No. 3 quarterback last year and doesn't appear comfortable.

With a shot at ringing in 2013 in Florida still alive, it's a good idea for NU to park—at least for the short term—its "basketball on grass" approach. If Kain Colter and Venric Mark combine for 50 carries against Iowa, I'm good with that.

I'm also good with Fitzgerald exhibiting thick skin. He should welcome being "over-analyzed." It beats being irrelevant.

Fitzgerald can recall how off the radar the NU program was when Gary Barnett recruited him at Sandburg. The All-American boy from the Southwest suburbs has lived here almost his entire life and participated largely as Barnett guided NU to back-to-back New Year's Day dates after the 1995 and '96 seasons.

Is that a reasonable expectation of Fitzgerald? Yes.

Does the coach get cut slack because of NU's tough academic standards or because he's accessible, likable and was a Hall of Fame player? No.

Barnett wrote a book he titled "High Hopes." He wasn't referring to a date in the Motor City Bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I think Mac had balls writing that column. It's an insult that Northwestern bills themselves as "Chicago's Big Ten Team" when they've NEVER been to the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament in school history and continue to give underachieving head coach Bill Carmody nothing more than a glorified free pass for continuing basketball underachievement.

I also feel head football coach Pat Fitzgerald has to be held accountable for what the Wildcats aren't doing on the gridiron. How can they lose to Nebraska in the last minute last Saturday? How can they blow a big lead and lose to Penn State? The Big Ten is down this year on the whole, and this Wildcats' team should be challenging for a spot in the Big Ten Championship Game down in Indianapolis and a possible date in a New Year's Day bowl.

They've already got high academic standards like Stanford, Duke and others across America. Stanford & Duke somehow still are able to compete in football & basketball respectively. Why not Northwestern?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Thanks Mud for this thread. I always forget to read Dan's columns. I would like to say he is spot on except he wrote a whole column on NU and not once mentioned DEFENSE. Since arriving as a former LB standout that became a head coach,the defense has been a joke. Dan didn't mention the Huskers offense racking up over 500 yards on offense. Whatever this guy is doing as a recruiter he needs to do better! Get some big studs in here that have the strength to last 4 quarters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Good stuff MUD.

You were spot on also SHARK.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Seacrest wrote:
Good stuff MUD.

Thanks, Seacrest. I guarantee you if Bill Carmody and Pat Fitzgerald were coaching elsewhere and weren't getting acceptable results, they'd be subject to firing like other coaches across America.

In fact, chew on this. It was 2 years ago that HC Gene Chizik guided Auburn to the BCS Championship. Why do I mention that? Right now, Chizik's job is in trouble down there with Auburn really struggling. They're got high standards for their football program. Why not Northwestern?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:22 pm 

I don't disagree. But lets be clear, Fitz is a good coach... but probably only for Northwestern. I found it a little laughable that Michigan supposedly wanted him. What is he? He's a great motivator. He has improved recruiting. He's a great face of the program who keeps his nose clean and represents "culture" very well. He's great with boosters and alums. And more importantly, the administration believes in him and his message and throws support behind him... I can't emphasize enough how important that is from a cultural standpoint.

But alas... he ain't that great of an in-game coach. There I said it. Frankly, as long as we leave playcalling to the OC and DC, then I don't think there is a problem. He does empower his coordinators, which is probably the right thing to do. Hankwitz does deserve some criticism, but I'd also argue we haven't recruited any gamechangers with the exception of Ifaedi Odenigbo. Fitz needs to focus his efforts on recruiting and question his loyalty to Hankwitz. The D is heading in the right direction.

And one more point, you really need to watch that Nebraska game. Our defense actually did quite well. They were on the field alot because of the over 10 3-and-outs by our offense. In addition, the last quarter when the Nebraska rally occurred happened when we had our two DB starters knocked out of the game... and some EXCELLENT passing by Taylor Martinez. I think the stat you referenced is a bit misleading. I'm not saying our D is awesome.... simply better than it was last year. I guess that's a Tallest Midget comment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:29 pm 

SHARK wrote:
In fact, chew on this. It was 2 years ago that HC Gene Chizik guided Auburn to the BCS Championship. Why do I mention that? Right now, Chizik's job is in trouble down there with Auburn really struggling. They're got high standards for their football program. Why not Northwestern?

That might be true. But dont' confuse higher win expectations with higher standards. Some think being satisfied with Fitz's progress means lower expectations (which maybe true). But I think it could mean that NU fans/administration will gladly sacrifice more frequent on-the-field success to make sure that when we do make it big, we do it the right way. Sounds idealistic and we don't always succeed (see Dennis Lundy), but as a Northwestern alum and rabid fan, I'll take less top ten rankings in order to avoid the shit that LSU is going through today. I also take a half empty stadium if that means that the folks who do attend aren't showing visiting fans and players the respect they deserve.

Fitz is a good coach... not a great one. But he means alot more to our program and to this community than the W-L will reflect.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
SHARK wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Good stuff MUD.

Thanks, Seacrest. I guarantee you if Bill Carmody and Pat Fitzgerald were coaching elsewhere and weren't getting acceptable results, they'd be subject to firing like other coaches across America.

I like Fitz and I think that he has done well at NU. I think it would be helpful to him if he could Vandy or Stanford to play him every year. Those are schools with like NU that recruit the same type of athletes that he does. It would be a good barometer type game for the program each year. ND would be a good choice too, but I think there is little chance of this now with the ACC deal in place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:42 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
I think it would be helpful to him if he could Vandy or Stanford to play him every year. Those are schools with like NU that recruit the same type of athletes that he does. It would be a good barometer type game for the program each year.

I agree... but those Nashville fuckers cancelled the series... with a letter, and stuck NU with the hotel bill. Classy

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/10/18/3522150/northwestern-vanderbilt-football-schedule-series

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hey MUD,
You know that "3 and out" shit? It can work both ways. It would be refreshing to see NU's "D" cause it to happen a few times during a game. Early on they did provide some pressure on Martinez but by the 4th,they fade even if the CB's are healthy.