It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hub
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Believes the Bears win with whomever at QB. Said they only needed 11 points to win.
It almost sounded like Arklush was in a pouty mood because he might have to give Cutler some credit.

Post subject: Re: Hub
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I watch a ton of football, as I assume most of the folks on this board do. The NFL more than other league is composed of teams that under/over perform significantly from their "norm" each week. Look at the Steelers this week. The Packers/Giants game is a great example. You go into last night's game thinking the Packers may be the best team in the NFC, while the Giants were slumping. You leave that game thinking the opposite.

Folks like Hub and Rozner seem to have an agenda that includes taking away all credit from Cutler and the Bears. They sit there waiting for the Bears to implode with a friendly I told you so. When the Bears play well, they struggle to explain it except to say the other team is bad. As if that's the Bears fault.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
His "They only needed 11 points" theory is completely flawed, and the willingness to cling to that premise show a true dislike for Cutler.
What if shows treated Hub that way -- based solely on his Bears guard-dog days?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:40 pm 

Quote:
"They only needed 11 points"

Is that really what he said? Hub is fine by me, but, that is some terrible, terrible analysis right there.

So, time of possession, field position, and giving your defense a lead to work with, taking the running game away from the opposition, have nothing to do with how well a defense performs?

That's bad. Just bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I'm slowly turning against Hub. He did say Cutler had a solid game,but it killed him to admit it. Maybe the Bears could have won with Campbell on Sunday. I still beleive he is a viable QB in the league BUT I'm glad we didn't have to find out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:19 pm 

Heh, heh, Listen, guys, Jay Cutler is a good quarterback. Not a great one. Certainly not an elite one. But he is good. Beyond serviceable. I'm not saying he's on the lower level of an Alex Smith game manager type of quarterback. I mean, come on, he's got a cannon for an arm, is very athletic and can throw a deep ball. I'm not sold on his leadership skills at this point. But there's talent there. No doubt. But, hey, heh heh, I was really happy when the Bears signed Campbell. I was high on this kid from day one and I think, like Dick Jauron, he's been forced into some bad situations. Obviously things did not work out in Washington and Oakland. And hey that's fine. But this kid has talent. He has many games under his belt as a starter and I think that helps the Bears. It certainly doesn't hurt them. But it does help. As for whether the Bears could win with either at quarterback? Yeah they could. Or they might not. Who knows in this league? The parity is enough to drive you crazy. Heh heh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaPlace
Hub is mad Cutler didn't sign his autograph or say hi to him inside Soldier Field.

Jason Campbell is a waste of money and is a terrible QB.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Hub's had a real bad year, but his slips also go back a couple years. His most notorious flub this year was picking the Chiefs to go to the Superbowl, but about a month ago he said that Alex Smith was a top 5 quarterback. He also thought the Carimi pick was "great" and he didn't think Whitney Mercilus would translate success to the NFL -- wrong on both counts. He continues to harp on the past problems of Brandon Marshall, and always warns of a possible relapse when talking about Marshall. After a while that just gets old, especially when the guy is on the verge of breaking Bears receiving records.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 am 

Sum1Here wrote:
He continues to harp on the past problems of Brandon Marshall, and always warns of a possible relapse when talking about Marshall. After a while that just gets old, especially when the guy is on the verge of breaking Bears receiving records.
I don't care if Brandon Marshall goes for 300 yards a game, we should not ignore how bad of a person he is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:59 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Sum1Here wrote:
He continues to harp on the past problems of Brandon Marshall, and always warns of a possible relapse when talking about Marshall. After a while that just gets old, especially when the guy is on the verge of breaking Bears receiving records.
I don't care if Brandon Marshall goes for 300 yards a game, we should not ignore how bad of a person he is.

If the guy has changed his approach to life why should we continue to beat the dead horse? Do you like Jared Allen? 3 Dui's but if he has changed then let it go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 pm 

lamar hoyt's burrito wrote:
If the guy has changed his approach to life why should we continue to beat the dead horse? Do you like Jared Allen? 3 Dui's but if he has changed then let it go
Didn't Brandon Marshall have another incident right around the time the Bears traded for him?

No, I don't like Jared Allen either. I bet he still drives drunk. He's just smarter about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Didn't Brandon Marshall have another incident right around the time the Bears traded for him?

No, I don't like Jared Allen either. I bet he still drives drunk. He's just smarter about it.

Which was found to be innocent of & that is a asinine assumption

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Sum1Here wrote:

Do you like Dan Mcneil?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:10 pm 

Which was found to be innocent of & that is a asinine assumption
Good for Marshall. He didn't get in trouble, this time. It's still a bad sign for a guy who has "changed".

Good for Jared Allen if he's cleaned himself up. His last dui was in 2007 so maybe he has. If Marshall goes 5 years without incident maybe then we can stop thinking he's a bad person.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Sum1Here wrote:

Do you like Dan Mcneil?
Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:27 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Sum1Here wrote:

Do you like Dan Mcneil?
Yes.

He has a "few blemishes" also, I like him also been a fan a long time but it is kind of narrow minded to say one guy is a bad guy according to your 5 year rule when Dan was getting high etc & driving not just his show but his vehicle last year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If Marshall goes 5 years without incident maybe then we can stop thinking he's a bad person.

A lot of us already have. I dont consider somebody a bad person because they made bad decisions while dealing with an undiagnosed mental disorder.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You know who was the best at driving drunk without getting caught?

Yaz.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 pm 

He has a "few blemishes" also, I like him also been a fan a long time but it is kind of narrow minded to say one guy is a bad guy according to your 5 year rule when Dan was getting high etc & driving not just his show but his vehicle last year.
I don't think they are comparable. We all make mistakes. Marshall made more than simple mistakes.
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If Marshall goes 5 years without incident maybe then we can stop thinking he's a bad person.

A lot of us already have. I dont consider somebody a bad person because they made bad decisions while dealing with an undiagnosed mental disorder.
Since it's now been diagnosed and presumably treated, are you willing to say that he won't have another incident?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Since it's now been diagnosed and presumably treated, are you willing to say that he won't have another incident?

No, I'm not. He's human, and I have no idea how difficult it is to deal with borderline personality disorder. It doesn't sound fun.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
No, I'm not. He's human, and I have no idea how difficult it is to deal with multiple personality disorder. It doesn't sound fun.
It doesn't. You can be a bad guy with a personality disorder.

I just don't think you can say "I had a mental disorder" and all is forgotten, especially when you had an incident in the past year where you reportedly punched a woman but failed to be charged due to lack of evidence.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:41 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't think they are comparable. We all make mistakes. Marshall made more than simple mistakes.
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So driving drunk & or high is a "simple mistake"?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
No, I'm not. He's human, and I have no idea how difficult it is to deal with multiple personality disorder. It doesn't sound fun.
It doesn't. You can be a bad guy with a personality disorder.

I just don't think you can say "I had a mental disorder" and all is forgotten, especially when you had an incident in the past year where you reportedly punched a woman but failed to be charged due to lack of evidence.

From my limited understanding of personality disorders, I believe the symptoms still pop up occasionally even with treatment. And if there was a lack of evidence suggesting he punched a woman in the face, then I am not going to automatically assume he did it.

Also, I dont believe he has ever said "I have a mental disorder so everything I did was excusable." I'm certainly not saying that. But it's obviously a huge contributing factor. After a quick Google search, here's what the National Institute of Health says about borderline personality disorder:

A serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal relationships, self-image, and behavior. This instability often disrupts family and work life, long-term planning, and the individual's sense of self-identity. Originally thought to be at the "borderline" of psychosis, people with BPD suffer from a disorder of emotion regulation. While less well known than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness), BPD is more common, affecting 2 percent of adults, mostly young women.

So if he was dealing with that and didn't even know he had it, I'd say its perfectly reasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt that there's a good chance the disorder was the primary reason for him acting like an asshole, and maybe he's not inherently a bad guy. At the very least, it's pretty dishonest to call him out for being a bad guy without also including the fact that he's dealing with a mental disorder that makes him act like a bad guy.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 pm 

So driving drunk & or high is a "simple mistake"?
It can be. It also can be more than that. If some guy gets caught at a checkpoint and blows a .08 that's a simple mistake.

Marshall's clearly were not just simple mistakes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:52 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Also, I dont believe he has ever said "I have a mental disorder so everything I did was excusable." I'm certainly not saying that.
I was paraphrasing but you basically did. You said you aren't going to consider him a bad person because they made bad decisions while dealing with an undiagnosed mental disorder. That's excusing his prior behavior.
FavreFan wrote:
So if he was dealing with that and didn't even know he had it, I'd say its perfectly reasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt that there's a good chance the disorder was the primary reason for him acting like an asshole, and maybe he's not inherently a bad guy. At the very least, it's pretty dishonest to call him out for being a bad guy without also including the fact that he's dealing with a mental disorder that makes him act like a bad guy.
Eventually he will get the benefit of the doubt. Not a few months after his latest incident.

You can be a bad guy and have a mental disorder. I predict that he has another incident by the end of the offseason after his 2nd year with the Bears. You willing to say I'm wrong? If not, you probably think he's a bad guy too or you are excusing his bad behavior.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:59 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Also, I dont believe he has ever said "I have a mental disorder so everything I did was excusable." I'm certainly not saying that.
I was paraphrasing but you basically did. You said you aren't going to consider him a bad person because they made bad decisions while dealing with an undiagnosed mental disorder. That's excusing his prior behavior.

Take your own advice and don't be dense. I was giving a possible, very legit, explanation for his behavior. I never came close to saying it is ok to punch a woman if you have a mental disorder. Brandon has acknowledged his mistakes many times, has expressed much remorse, and is proactively trying to deal with his mental illness.

Quote:
FavreFan wrote:
Eventually he will get the benefit of the doubt. Not a few months after his latest incident.

You can be a bad guy and have a mental disorder. I predict that he has another incident by the end of the offseason after his 2nd year with the Bears. You willing to say I'm wrong? If not, you probably think he's a bad guy too or you are excusing his bad behavior.

No, I just dont look at the world as black and white as you apparently do. You said he has not made simple mistakes, yet you are offering a very simple reaction to those mistakes. "He did bad things in the past, therefore he is a bad person." I tend not to take mental illness as lightly as you apparently do.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:02 pm 

Brandon Marshall has had about 15 domestic disturbance related issues with police in the past 10 years. If I knew someone in my neighborhood who had that, would I be alright thinking they are a bad person?

Oh, and save the whole "You just don't understand mental illness" stuff. I understand it, and I understand it's not a get out of jail free card.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Brandon Marshall has had about 15 domestic disturbance related issues with police in the past 10 years. If I knew someone in my neighborhood who had that, would I be alright thinking they are a bad person?

You can think whatever you want. You seem to have no problem judging people without knowing anything about them or what they are going through.

Quote:
Oh, and save the whole "You just don't understand mental illness" stuff. I understand it, and I understand it's not a get out of jail free card.

Well you certainly dont seem to understand it, and you dont seem to understand that nobody, including Brandon himself, is asking for him to get a get out of jail free card for his past behavior.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:09 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
You can think whatever you want. You seem to have no problem judging people without knowing anything about them or what they are going through.
I know plenty about Brandon Marshall.
FavreFan wrote:
Well you certainly dont seem to understand it, and you dont seem to understand that nobody, including Brandon himself, is asking for him to get a get out of jail free card for his past behavior.
I think Brandon Marshall is a bad person. You think that is wrong for me to think. Why can't I think that?

I'm not saying you should think Marshall is a bad person. If you think he's reformed then good for you. We'll see who turns out correct.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I know plenty about Brandon Marshall.

It's nearly impossible to know plenty about someone you have never met, especially a seemingly complicated guy like Brandon Marshall. You know that he's had several issues with the police, and that he's a football player

Quote:
FavreFan wrote:
I think Brandon Marshall is a bad person. You think that is wrong for me to think. Why can't I think that?

I'm not saying you should think Marshall is a bad person. If you think he's reformed then good for you. We'll see who turns out correct.
I dont think it is wrong for you to think that. I think it is wrong for you to pretty much continue to ignore the fact that his mental illness is probably the primary factor for his behavior, and to continue to assume that once treated, mental illnesses go away forever.

To rock my soul