It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: LouMal
“We consider ourselves to be the Civil War re-creationists of music. We're paying tribute to the song and the artist, but we serve the song. At first, we were sort of like a secret club but now it's not so secret anymore.”

“There are some things that are more difficult and commercially successful. Writing original songs is more gratifying on some level. But this is so much damn fun because we invented it and perfected it. The fact that we let the music speak and then poof! -- it's gone -- manages to somehow give us artistic integrity in a cover-band framework. We've got something magical here, and we have to protect it. We don't want to suck any of the joy out of it.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:09 pm 

What I read above is so full of gay.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:11 pm 

They may be the most pretentious band in the history of music, and that includes people who think they are basically Jesus.

If what they say is true, they'd be playing Madison Square Garden instead of some place no one has ever heard of unless you did drugs with JORR for a few decades.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:14 pm 

“It's our joy. We're hearing it come together for the first time. The gigs are great, of course, but those Mondays are our secret little thing.”

:roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
They may be the most pretentious band in the history of music, and that includes people who think they are basically Jesus.

If what they say is true, they'd be playing Madison Square Garden instead of some place no one has ever heard of unless you did drugs with JORR for a few decades.

Hey, where'd you play your cover songs, bud?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Dude, its a tribute band. Totally different...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:18 pm 

“We're sort of like musical anthropologists.”

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:21 pm 

The martyr's event list is pretty funny.

Quote:
Sun, Mar 3 - 8pm - $12adv/$15door
Simon Townshend
Steve Frisbie & Liam Davis
A familiar name with an original sound, Simon Townshend is straight from the lineage of one of British music’s most famous families. The son of England’s top big-band reed man and baby brother of Who legend Pete Townshend, Simon has been recording and performing since the age of nine, when he was brought in to add vocals to The Who classic Tommy.

Spiegel has taken the same stage as the brother of a singer who is famous!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Has anyone ever been to a show? I would imagine the talent is there but I really don't see the need to blow the band up with the hyperbole seen in the initial post. You're not a cover band but your playing covers of a certain bands songs/album. I get what Meat is trying to say but.....come on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 pm 

By the way, looks like they don't play at Martyr's any more. They now do shows in Berwyn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I don't know, guys; I think the Tributosaurus concept is pretty neat. I mean, there are cover bands that are only U2 (presumptive cover band name: Even Better Than The Real Thing), or only Rush (presumptive cover band name: The Spirit of Ontario) and that's all they do, and it can be kind of sad. Chuck Klosterman wrote about a GNR cover band once and the whole thing just dripped sadness (though at least 35% of that sadness was dripping from Klosterman). So to have fun with the whole cover band thing with more elasticity is cool to me, I guess.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
By the way, looks like they don't play at Martyr's any more. They now do shows in Berwyn.

Fitzgerald's is actually a great music venue. Their 4th of July American Music Festival is legendary.

Site Admin

SomeGuy wrote:
Has anyone ever been to a show? I would imagine the talent is there but I really don't see the need to blow the band up with the hyperbole seen in the initial post. You're not a cover band but your playing covers of a certain bands songs/album. I get what Meat is trying to say but.....come on.

I saw them do Sly and the Family Stone a few years back on New Year's Eve. Everyone on stage is a professional musician and Spiegel is obviously a trained vocalist.

I think their approach is like that of a symphony. They are trying to recreate a piece of music as faithfully as possible.

I don't think there is any problem with the band. It's just that Spiegs is a pompous asswipe. But what would you expect from a part-time musician?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Fitzgerald's is actually a great music venue. Their 4th of July American Music Festival is legendary.

Fuck FitzGerald's. There isn't enough handicapped parking in the whole town of Berwyn to accomodate all the old fucks who frequent that joint.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Agreed. I'm a bigfan of Fitzgerald's. Not a bigfan of coverband-saurus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 pm 

Way worse than Laurence....

pizza_Place: ------
This board needs more Berwyn talk

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Fuck FitzGerald's. There isn't enough handicapped parking in the whole town of Berwyn to accomodate all the old fucks who frequent that joint.

So JORR only listens to music preferred by the young? Remember to file your Justin Bieber CDs between Alphabet Songs for Kids and Sesame Street's Greatest Hits.

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

I saw them do Sly and the Family Stone a few years back on New Year's Eve. Everyone on stage is a professional musician and Spiegel is obviously a trained vocalist.

I think their approach is like that of a symphony. They are trying to recreate a piece of music as faithfully as possible.

I don't think there is any problem with the band. It's just that Spiegs is a pompous asswipe. But what would you expect from a part-time musician?

JORR, have you met him in person or had any one one one experience to have a basis for your opinion? I never had that sense from listening to him on the radio. It seems like several folks have this thought about Spiegs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
This board needs more Berwyn talk

My mom grew up in Berwyn back when the Italians were undocumented immigrants.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 pm 

I've gotten the vibe that he's, like, an insufferably pompous asswipe to about 50% of the world and totally agreeable to the other 50%.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I've gotten the vibe that he's, like, an insufferably pompous asswipe to about 50% of the world and totally agreeable to the other 50%.

JORR?

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Douchebag wrote:
What I read above is so full of gay.

Definitely rooftop-quality.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:48 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

JORR?

Yeah, exactly!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:49 pm 

I think guys at the top of their industry deserve to have a certain level of arrogance. That goes for athletes, hollywood types, and media professionals. I doubt most of them would get there without self confidence (except maybe insecure A-Rod). I guess I judge these guys by how they treat the fans. If he's a jerk at remotes and stuff, then I'd accept that opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:50 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I think guys at the top of their industry deserve to have a certain level of arrogance. That goes for athletes, hollywood types, and media professionals. I doubt most of them would get there without self confidence (except maybe insecure A-Rod). I guess I judge these guys by how they treat the fans. If he's a jerk at remotes and stuff, then I'd accept that opinion.

Matt Spiegel has reached very top of the cover band industry.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:53 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I think guys at the top of their industry deserve to have a certain level of arrogance.
When did we start talking about someone else?

He literally brought an intern on air to berate him for not understanding the "value" of getting Spiegel his lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So JORR only listens to music preferred by the young? Remember to file your Justin Bieber CDs between Alphabet Songs for Kids and Sesame Street's Greatest Hits.

I prefer rock and roll. And old people in seats wearing earplugs is about as far from my idea of rock and roll as one can get. You're welcome to like whatever you choose. I'm telling you why I think FitzGerald's sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, and did I happen to mention, fuckin' Bill FitzGerald could give Spiegs a run for his money in the Pomposity Derby.