It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mac vs. Enemy and Friend
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

Carm and Jurko are moving to the 10am to 2pm slot at ESPN 1000 in case you haven't heard.

Mac now has been given the challenge to take down his ESPN 1000 replacement (Carmen) and his friend (Jurko).

Mac's plan is to kill Carm so he's never heard from again. He is also trying kill Jurko so he can have him join his show at the Score. Interesting to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Just a guess here.

I think Jurko and Carm have less than a year on their deals. Maybe they're one of those that are up in the summer as Mac has hinted about.

Maybe ESPN 1000 is just bleeding out their contracts with the intention of THE HERD getting his full show in Chicago once their contracts expire. Or maybe this is a 4 month tryout for Carm and Jurko to see if they can compete with Mac.

I think Bristol wants HERD's full show in Chicago. It's more cost effective even if his ratings aren't great. He just has to hold his own. Just be decent. So Carm and Jurko probably have to be #1 in their 4 month tryout to convince Bristol to keep them. Anything less, they're gone.

Carm: :shock:

Jurko: :shock:

Mac: 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Beardown wrote:
Just a guess here.

I think Jurko and Carm have less than a year on their deals. Maybe they're one of those that are up in the summer as Mac has hinted about.

Maybe ESPN 1000 is just bleeding out their contracts with the intention of THE HERD getting his full show in Chicago once their contracts expire. Or maybe this is a 4 month tryout for Carm and Jurko to see if they can compete with Mac.

I think Bristol wants HERD's full show in Chicago. It's more cost effective even if his ratings aren't great. He just has to hold his own. Just be decent. So Carm and Jurko probably have to be #1 in their 4 month tryout to convince Bristol to keep them. Anything less, they're gone.

The most sense you've made in quite a while.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:18 am 

Us consumers suffer when there is a lack of competition.

Next, Mitch will respond with the expansion of cbs national shows at night and on weekends.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Beardown wrote:
Just a guess here.

Yeah, that'd actually make sense to me. The thinking would be since they're going to lose to the competition's local programming if they offer up local programming of their own then why not just save $$$ and follow the Great Plan(TM) of hammering home the national agenda? I would think that they'd assume they'll get an audience comprised of people who want/prefer national programming, and any ratings loss in the local markets would be negligible since the national shows are de-facto infomercials that hype up their national TV programming.

ESPN devoted plenty of segments on TV over the last week or two to talking about the "historical implications" of the Heat's streak; just about everyone @ ESPN predicted that the streak would end monday nights @ Boston, so be sure to tune in Monday night and find out! That's the kind of promotional synergy that having as much national programming on as possible can give you.... otherwise, talking Chicago sports is only hyping up games predominantly on other networks! I bet in that first hour of the Herd from 9-10am on Monday they prolly devoted at least two segments to talking Heat/Celtics, so maybe the potential ratings loss @ the Score is offset by the fact that they figure a much higher % of the people who ARE listening are caught up into the hype/echo-chamber and therefore more likely to tune into the historical Heat/Celtics game? I reckon that's some of the mindset going on over there.

Of course, this example is moot because I'm sure that ESPN's coverage of the Heat/Celtics game got crushed by Monday Night Raw in the ratings as countless millions held their breath and tuned in to see if HHH would sign the contract to have a match with Brock Lesnar (brought to you by Jimmy John's) cuz THAT, my friends, is how you do drama.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
We know Mac and Jurk are good friends, but has Mac ever hinted or revealed how he feels about Carm?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Beardown wrote:
Just a guess here.

Jurko's contract is up in July, says Larz at ChicagolandRadioandMedia.com.

I think if the folks in Bristol, CT had their way, "The Herd with Colin Cowherd" would air all 3 hours followed by "SVP & Russillo" as it's called now from 9A-3P. It would be national sports talk from ESPN Radio's homebase in Bristol from 9A-3P followed by local sports talk with "Waddle & Silvy" until 7P Monday-Friday.

What they've done, I think is that ESPN 1000 bosses on State Street downtown had a great deal of input and wanted to stay live & local by flipflopping "W & S" and "Carmen & Jurko". The folks in CT caved and they think it's the best of both worlds, even though Cowherd can be nails on a chalkboard from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Martin wrote:
We know Mac and Jurk are good friends, but has Mac ever hinted or revealed how he feels about Carm?

I thought he was fine with Carm. No strong emotions either way .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
redskingreg wrote:
Martin wrote:

Which also describes Carmen's brand of radio.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

The title is in jest.

Carm is one of those guys that nobody can hate. Like many have said, Carm's public persona is one of nothingness. Carm is one of those guys that has lasted a long time at ESPN 1000 with "Water is wet" type of commentary. The few times I've flipped over to him it's as though Carmen actually tries very hard to speak without saying anything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
SomeGuy wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
Martin wrote:

Which also describes Carmen's brand of radio.

yup.

Well, he seemed better with Silverman around. He's just a guy now...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

Don't you guys agree that JD, Carm and Silvy are the same? They were hired and instantly neutered by ESPN 1000. They're decent guys. They're tame and clean cut - Wally Cleavers if you will. The type you want your daughter to marry. But because they're scared to say anything harsh or controvercial, because they want to keep good relations with all of the players and team management in town, they make for bad talk show hosts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:48 pm 

Nope. Silvy is actually good. Do you ever listen to his show?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Krazy Ivan wrote:

No. But I catch him on the Final Word on Sunday nights. I've never heard him say anything interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'll give Silvy a try when he goes to afternoons.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Carmen and Silvy worked because they're obviously good friends off of the air and thus their chemistry was unforced as they genuinely enjoyed each other's presence and the fact that they could do a show together. Maybe this is just a case of rosy colored glasses looking back at the past, but it also seemed like Carmen was more laid back and relaxed with Silvy there to drive the show. Nowadays Carmen has to drive the show with the "personalities" being Jurko and Harry, so I'll definitely give Carmen props for letting them be "the personalities."

However, since Waddle is prolly the #1 paid/profile guy over there he gets the post-pimpin-DEEELUXE show-drivin' valet over there, and I spose that's Silvy, so I reckon in the immortal words of Tran "here go hell come" for B&B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:52 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

No. But I catch him on the Final Word on Sunday nights. I've never heard him say anything interesting.

You watch that shit? I didn't think people watched those sunday night sports shows. You shouldn't do that.

Silvy is at his best during a big sports story or an interview with someone whom he disagrees with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Martin wrote:

He insults Carm's talents, or lack thereof, from time to time. Nothing detailed, just a comment here or there, whenever he feels like it I guess.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

I take it back. I caught some of the Jay Cutler shows when they'd replay them at 6pm. Yeah, Silvy would challenge Jay some tough questions. Cutler would often give Silvy a hard time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
sinicalypse wrote:
Carmen and Silvy worked because they're obviously good friends off of the air and thus their chemistry was unforced as they genuinely enjoyed each other's presence and the fact that they could do a show together. Maybe this is just a case of rosy colored glasses looking back at the past, but it also seemed like Carmen was more laid back and relaxed with Silvy there to drive the show. Nowadays Carmen has to drive the show with the "personalities" being Jurko and Harry, so I'll definitely give Carmen props for letting them be "the personalities."

However, since Waddle is prolly the #1 paid/profile guy over there he gets the post-pimpin-DEEELUXE show-drivin' valet over there, and I spose that's Silvy, so I reckon in the immortal words of Tran "here go hell come" for B&B

This is fair.

I also enjoyed Carmen and Silvy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

You watch that shit? I didn't think people watched those sunday night sports shows. You shouldn't do that.

Silvy is at his best during a big sports story or an interview with someone whom he disagrees.

Removed your hanging "with." Also, stick to the B&B shtick, BD. Silvy doesn't do the imaginary race-baiting enough for your liking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm 

redskingreg wrote:
Removed your hanging "with."

Oh, thank God. :D