It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OFFICIALLY SWITCHED OFF!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Just can't take Leary!

Bears talk. OK it's just annoying when he starts dropping names like he is friends with these guys, even though not one of them would ever talk to him if he didnt have a ,mic!

The radio at work was already tuned to ESPN! Strike 1

Radio in the car on Jurko and Friends Strike 2

Radio at home was on WSCR. NO Longer! STRIKE 3 You're out

Official LEARY Has lost the Score LONG TIME LISTENER.

I know it's just 1 caller, but I cant imagine how this effects other shows. I know I am not the only who changes the stations and stays on the other station. Its one thing to PTFB in the car, but when I PTFB at the office on the clock radio and tune into that shitty lil radio bar, not tuning back anytime soon.

I firmly place this on the midget head of Rod Zimmerman!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
If Jurko and that goofy eyed bastard that he's with Carmen were decent they would be able to run this shit show out of town in a few months. Carmen just sucks so bad with his always wanting to talk Soccer and about his Italian hertiage he's almost as bad as Larry. Oh hey next time you see Carmen ask him about what the Bulls used to call Eddie Robinson. Cant wait for it

Erobbed Us

I swear to fucking God he tells that story once a week.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down

and only five exclamation points!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:32 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
If Jurko and that goofy eyed bastard that he's with Carmen were decent they would be able to run this shit show out of town in a few months. Carmen just sucks so bad with his always wanting to talk Soccer and about his Italian hertiage he's almost as bad as Larry. Oh hey next time you see Carmen ask him about what the Bulls used to call Eddie Robinson. Cant wait for it

Erobbed Us

I swear to fucking God he tells that story once a week.

Agree, an upgrade or addition needs to be made there and its not a must listen, but not annoying twerp trying to play it off like he is some bad ass!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:34 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
We need a third sports radio station.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:38 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Agree, Tommy Ricketts chance!

If Leary is a MAIN part of any station a 3rd one can exist!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Detroit has 4 full-time sports talk radio stations, and a 5th one started up recently.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Taco Bell Mexican Pizza...mmmmm
I've been on the ropes but when Larry mentioned Charles Tillman's wife by her first name, I turned it off. This guy is just so awful in so many ways, and I can't believe Spiegel doesn't reign him in a little. Mac kept the show moving and didn't allow the belaboring of boring talking points like: useless speculation of Cutler's next contract, why Cutler wasn't pulled earlier (this would have been discussed for about 20 minutes max - not 4 hours with bleed over into today), constant Twitter promotion and talk, hours and hours of Incognito talk, racism discussion, and Mac would have never spent a couple hours asking listeners how they handle themselves the day of a Monday night game. I'm sure the list is longer than this, but these stood out.

The show doesn't flow anymore. Meat sounds strained and bored. Larry's obnoxious (namedropping, talking too much, the fake laugh, calling Brandon "B" now, acting like the authority on every single subject like his mentor (bernstein), acting tough, constantly reminding us he bought a house, etc..., etc...).

Mac, sorry you're having issues but your show is trashed now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
FloydGondolli wrote:
I've been on the ropes but when Larry mentioned Charles Tillman's wife by her first name, I turned it off. This guy is just so awful in so many ways, and I can't believe Spiegel doesn't reign him in a little. Mac kept the show moving and didn't allow the belaboring of boring talking points like: useless speculation of Cutler's next contract, why Cutler wasn't pulled earlier (this would have been discussed for about 20 minutes max - not 4 hours with bleed over into today), constant Twitter promotion and talk, hours and hours of Incognito talk, racism discussion, and Mac would have never spent a couple hours asking listeners how they handle themselves the day of a Monday night game. I'm sure the list is longer than this, but these stood out.

The show doesn't flow anymore. Meat sounds strained and bored. Larry's obnoxious (namedropping, talking too much, the fake laugh, calling Brandon "B" now, acting like the authority on every single subject like his mentor (bernstein), acting tough, constantly reminding us he bought a house, etc..., etc...).

Mac, sorry you're having issues but your show is trashed now.

:salut:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:09 pm 

RIP mac. your absence has left a grave hole in the middle of the day

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:12 pm 

In any work environment, cliques form. for good or bad. guys or girls, hang out with certain people. Some are just easier to get along with, are more fun, more interesting, real geeks or in general just cooler.

Leary has been there long enough to realize he is none of the above and is just a producer who got to fill in on the air for when guys took time off!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:17 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Hmmmm......Mac and Ricketts?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I still have a problem switching to ESPN. I'm just not crazy about anyone over there. It might be that the Score has been the only sporttalker i have listened to since 1992. Old habits are hard to break. I still can handle Leery much better than most people here,I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I simply can't do it. I lasted about 3 days. Now it's Mad Dog Radio for me from 9-1. It's a bit refreshing hearing national sports talk.

From 1-6 it's a mix of B&B and Garry Meier.

I know those of us in this thread can't be the only ones tuning into the Score less and less.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:41 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Hmmmm......Mac and Ricketts?

Mac is like a number of Sox fans I know. They enjoy Wrigley, they enjoy coming to the Northside, seeing friendly people, and good looking girls, saying hello.

Note: Mac sharing half a hot dog with his buddy at the game!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This is definitely a huge opportunity for ESPN 1000, especially Carmen and Jurko, with Mac being gone. Listened to 1000 today...much better than Spiegel and Holmes. All the comments noted here about Holmes are accurate — the Bears talk, saying player X told me this and player X told me that, and the overall non genuine giddiness is crap.

But will Mitch ever realize that?

Why not promote Finfer and put him with Spiegel? Keeps the show's rhythm intact, at least a little bit, without Mac.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:25 pm 

I like the Finfer idea. I'm a BigFan of the cynical smart ass viewpoint.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Welcome to the ESPN1000 family, BigFan!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:26 pm 

Franky T wrote:
I simply can't do it. I lasted about 3 days. Now it's Mad Dog Radio for me from 9-1. It's a bit refreshing hearing national sports talk.

From 1-6 it's a mix of B&B and Garry Meier.

I know those of us in this thread can't be the only ones tuning into the Score less and less.

Mac and Spiegs used to be an automatic beginning to end listen.

Now it's gone from that to about 20 minutes total today. To nothing tomorrow.

Mitch has got to put a stop to this. The Hamp and Holmes virus has overtaken this show and needs to be eradicated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
So is this new version of the show worse than the hamp and holmes show?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I've been leaning towards ESPN a bit the past few weeks as well... :?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
I;ve tuned in for short spans and its just awful. Holmes is an absolute terrible host he tries to take over the whole show. Leads into commercials, everything and its not his show. If anything Spiegel should be running it. I listen to ESPN1000 Carm and Jurk are decent and at 11 AM i tune into 590 the Fan in Toronto for Hockey Central.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:36 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
So is this new version of the show worse than the hamp and holmes show?

Never. That was in a class by itself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Not to beat a dead horse, but it's pretty bad.

Even the throws to updates from Keary is cringe inducing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:35 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I've left my radio on 670 out of habit but I had enough today.
I'll check out 1000 before I go full on pandora.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm 

Holmes lost me today at the mention of Tillmans' wife's first name - really? He is slowly taking over from Speigel because Speigel is a number 2 - Mac trained him to be that and he played that roll well - and Holmes thinks he's a solo ( the me show? Guess he do't have an ego problem!).

Not sure if i can go to 1000 - just can't take Jurko - trying to to be the funny sidekick and it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:23 pm 

didea wrote:
Holmes lost me today at the mention of Tillmans' wife's first name - really? He is slowly taking over from Speigel because Speigel is a number 2 - Mac trained him to be that and he played that roll well - and Holmes thinks he's a solo ( the me show? Guess he do't have an ego problem!).

Not sure if i can go to 1000 - just can't take Jurko - trying to to be the funny sidekick and it doesn't work.

Somewhere on this very site over a year ago, I said when Spiegs was with Leary he walks on eggshells, almost scared of making a racially taken comment. Not really because he cared how Leary would take it, but fearing it turns the show into the great Leary racial debate.

Pretty much looks like ti is going to be a daily topic.

SPIEGS! Get control of your show!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
didea wrote:

I flipped on C&J the other day. I think they may have gone in on a 2 for 1 lobotomy deal. It's terrible and I like both of them. Don't know if they need a better driver or a 3rd person but my gosh was it bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
didea wrote:

Somewhere on this very site over a year ago, I said when Spiegs was with Leary he walks on eggshells, almost scared of making a racially taken comment. Not really because he cared how Leary would take it, but fearing it turns the show into the great Leary racial debate.

Pretty much looks like ti is going to be a daily topic.

SPIEGS! Get control of your show!

We all know Spiegel to be the type to dish it. He's done it to drinky, Bernstein and even Larry in the past. I suppose knowing that Larry might officially become his radio wife, he's gotta bite his tongue more and walk on egg shells like you said.

If so, I say that's the wrong approach. Do your thing, Spiegel. Throw some jabs when Larry says stupid stuff. Call him out for being a phony. Tell him nobody wants to hear about his mommy, his pizza order or his bullshit stories about getting women. It's also OK to tell him that not everything is about race and that not all white people are the devil.

1. It's funny radio.

2. It's the only way to teach Larry. It will only help improve him and the show. Spiegel probably doesn't want to go down cuz of Larry's bullshit. If nothing is said, it will only encourage him to continue being bad. Everybody at that station seems scared to call him out. Like he's a child. Or maybe it's more like what Big Fan said, people know Larry and they're scared he's gonna call them a racist. Since he loves to always go there.