It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 am 

Isn't it industry standard to pull the plug on talent a month or two before their contract ends if negotiations towards a new contract are not proceeding? Dan has said he will not be on the air this summer under any circumstances. I believe his contract runs until June. Considering all these points, will Mitch take Dan off the air in the next few weeks?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
good dolphin wrote:
Isn't it industry standard to pull the plug on talent a month or two before their contract ends if negotiations towards a new contract are not proceeding? Dan has said he will not be on the air this summer under any circumstances. I believe his contract runs until June. Considering all these points, will Mitch take Dan off the air in the next few weeks?

Yes.

You don't run the risk of letting Bad Mood Mac anywhere near a mic during that time.

Jason Goff, your table is ready...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
'During negotiations' is the key to this.

Those won't start until he leaves for the summer.

Being it might be his last Score time, I think he will be honest and fair in his potential goodbyes, but smart enough not burn the bridge.

Once he leaves the Score, i see a complete nosedive there.

87.7 has energy and potential i think Mac would love and he would love to put all those guys under his wing.

New station's only prpblem is I dont think any are for sale.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Roberto's
Doesn't Goff work for a CBS station in Atlanta? I believe he was promoted to full time host, and that's why he left. My info may be bad though

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
bigfan wrote:
prpblem

Agreed. He is a real menace.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
bigfan wrote:

87.7 has energy and potential

They have a pile of shit. The only potential is that they could fire everyone and bring in all new people and switch to a different signal that people might acutally be able to listen to.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
bigfan wrote:

They have a pile of shit. The only potential is that they could fire everyone and bring in all new people and switch to a different signal that people might acutally be able to listen to.

And it will happen.

Haugh is good, Harry will stay.

Everything now is tryouts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:56 am 

Never mind my earlier post. I didn't know Goff was let go on Monday. My bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:29 pm 

BigClem wrote:

It's all good, Clem.

What are your thoughts now that you're up to speed? Where do you see Goff landing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:36 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
bigfan wrote:

call it The Plan and more than half this city would tune in hoping it will be great in three years

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Doesn't everyone stream in the office anyway? The only time an actual radio is on in our house is when the alarm goes off in the morning. I can tune to 87.7 in both our vehicles...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I can only listen to a garbled static version of 87.7. I tried a couple of times and once when I was driving into the city it got more clear and then I listened to the content I realized that the static was much better.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
doug - evergreen park wrote:
Doesn't everyone stream in the office anyway? The only time an actual radio is on in our house is when the alarm goes off in the morning. I can tune to 87.7 in both our vehicles...

the only time i listen to live WSCR radio is if there is no podcast I am interested in available to download... there are only 36 out of 60 minutes each hour of actual hosts talking... the rest is commercials or useless scoreboard updates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:56 pm 

Yeah. I would guess nearly everyone who listens to an actual radio does so in the car.

And I podcast everything, so that's most important in my world. The ease at which I can find and download a show on my phone...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:04 pm 

Office and home are working the CVS Clock Radio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:

Yeah. I would guess nearly everyone who listens to an actual radio does so in the car.

And I podcast everything, so that's most important in my world. The ease at which I can find and download a show on my phone...

My brother (his wife) bought me one of those kitchen radios that you hang under a cabinet because I gave a hollow compliment "Oh, that's cool" about theirs

Since then, I rip every possession they have unless I want it for myself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:15 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:29 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
BigClem wrote:

It's all good, Clem.

What are your thoughts now that you're up to speed? Where do you see Goff landing?

That's a tough one to figure until some pieces fall. If Mac goes home to Uncle Jimmy at "The Game" Goff will probably not have a landing spot based on what I read regarding the animosity that exists there. CBS could take him back I suppose, but that would take time. I would hate to see him wind up on ESPN because they seem to be a mess as a station, but that sounds most likely. I think Mac to "The Game" is likely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 pm 

BigClem wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
BigClem wrote:

It's all good, Clem.

That's a tough one to figure until some pieces fall. If Mac goes home to Uncle Jimmy at "The Game" Goff will probably not have a landing spot based on what I read regarding the animosity that exists there. CBS could take him back I suppose, but that would take time. I would hate to see him wind up on ESPN because they seem to be a mess as a station, but that sounds most likely. I think Mac to "The Game" is likely.

I have a feeling that due to the way he left, he'll always have a place at the Score. I'm just hoping that place is a full time hosting gig.

Mac seems like a guy that's done. I loved MJ&H back in the day, but he's not even close to that level anymore. And Spiegel has way too many problems to cover up any of Mac's.

With the bad ratings for Middays, maybe a lineup change is in the works. these next few months could be very interesting. Lots of potential movement and such...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:48 pm 

They have to do something. I started posting on this board because I became outraged at how bad Spiegs and Leary were, and I needed an outlet. Maybe the next break-out talent at WSCR is somebody not currently under Mitch's roof?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 am 

Spiegel returns from vacation on Monday.
Mac has had a week of looser and looser talk.
The 8 week window is here.

Does management go the North route of letting him stay on the air until the last day of his contract? Or do they pull the plug now as has been done in the past and go in a different, even temporary, direction until they sort things out?

What is Boers' status, as that may be the indicator as to how the hosts may be rotating their seats.

Today, could be Mac's last day on the air.

Or maybe not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
The sports radio scene in Chicago would have become a lot more interesting if Mitch would have taken the Program Manager position at The Game.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:16 am 

No Clever Moniker wrote:
Spiegel returns from vacation on Monday.
Mac has had a week of looser and looser talk.
The 8 week window is here.

Does management go the North route of letting him stay on the air until the last day of his contract? Or do they pull the plug now as has been done in the past and go in a different, even temporary, direction until they sort things out?

What is Boers' status, as that may be the indicator as to how the hosts may be rotating their seats.

Today, could be Mac's last day on the air.

Or maybe not.

13 days of vacation still left? Need a countdown, this is a job for SJBoyd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Mac dropped a bunch of Grimace references today & ripped Spiegel gently a few times. It appears that even Mac has grown tired of Meatpants & probably regrets partnering with him.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:49 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
Mac dropped a bunch of Grimace references today & ripped Spiegel gently a few times. It appears that even Mac has grown tired of Meatpants & probably regrets partnering with him.

This is the type of quality radio that is going to be special next week.

In the spirit of Garry Meier I am sure someone told him about it and I am 100% Spiegs will spend Sunday reviewing Podcasts!

Not going to say Mac regrets picking him, but I think there are some issues there.

Yes, it is his radio partner, but they aren't equal. I just think Mac expected more from Spiegs. Like making the radio thing a full time gig, so Mac didnt have to. Fact is Mac brings Spiegs in from a bad place in life and the guy owes him. If that meant working everyday with the staff to put together a show, that Mac can just show up to, so be it.

Next week will be fun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
If that is true then I'm disappointed with Mac.

And he should have known Speigel would suck at this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:54 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yes.

You don't run the risk of letting Bad Mood Mac anywhere near a mic during that time.

Jason Goff, your table is ready...

Goff ain't coming back.

When you are fired by CBS, you're fired by CBS.

Your supposition is demonstrably false.

We need look no further than Les Grobstein's employment history to confirm this fact.

He was fired by the Score, a CBS station, for using false press credentials.

Then he was rehired by the Score, the same CBS station, a couple years later.

So I think it's clear that Goff could be hired by the Score. My question, though, is why would Mitch want him? Why turn WSCR into WABC (Another Bernstein Clone)?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:00 am 

I thought the Score was an independently owned station back when Julie ratted him out.

Les was in the penalty box for a number of years and was rehired at the strong urging of North back when North had leverage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Spaulding wrote:
If that is true then I'm disappointed with Mac.

And he should have known Speigel would suck at this.

I don't believe Mac feels the content provided by Spiegel sucks. I think bigfan is probably on to something though. Mac purposely brought in a guy who he thought would feel he owed him so he could do certain things, but that second banana doesn't want to stay second. It's kind of like a Dahl-Meier thing to a much lesser degree.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:30 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
good dolphin wrote:
I thought the Score was an independently owned station back when Julie ratted him out.

Les was in the penalty box for a number of years and was rehired at the strong urging of North back when North had leverage

The Score hasn't been an independently owned station since 1997, when it was purchased by Westinghouse/CBS.