It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
yesterday I turned off the show when we got into the Fabulous Five. Radio hosts, producers, interns, picking sporting events as a source of entertainment is unacceptable.

I just turned the Radio back on and got picking over/unders. :cry:

As I always like to offer suggestions, how about a listener gets to participate and if that listener wins they can be interviewed, come down for 5 minutes each week and give picks, maybe give their business a plug? They can share victory chicken.

Tons of creative ideas, but it's just too obvious that this show had a meeting in week 1...and has done nothing since.

I kind of give Jay a pass on this as someone does need to move the show along and he does plan guests, but if it was my show, I would come in daily with ideas. maybe you use 1 in 20, but someone should.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:30 am 

You've stated this before and it does merit repeating. Nobody gives a shit about what the hosts pick, the only thing worse is when they keep coming back to what was picked and the discussion going circular. The least they could do is give some kind of overriding objective, say a charitable cause or take out a group of listeners. The Sox do it with their "picks to click" but they do it innocuously enough to be ignored. Estrogen radio.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:33 am 

No Clever Moniker wrote:
You've stated this before and it does merit repeating. Nobody gives a shit about what the hosts pick, the only thing worse is when they keep coming back to what was picked and the discussion going circular. The least they could do is give some kind of overriding objective, say a charitable cause or take out a group of listeners. The Sox do it with their "picks to click" but they do it innocuously enough to be ignored. Estrogen radio.

click to pick is just as forced and I believe it really just came from hawk trying to say who he thought would have a good game. The on thing I understand about the CLICK to PICK is that it is sponsored? So, thats the point.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Stopped listening to this show, but that Furious Five thing is excruciatingly terrible. There are many things to dislike about Grimace. One thing that really irritated the hell out of me is how he continuously repeats jokes he makes or comments he thinks are witty. More often than not, his quips are completely unfunny. He just doesn't let shit go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I think Carmen and jurko make picks and the listener(s) have to beat them.

10 years or so ago listeners were more involved and it's what I liked. It often made the shows funny and sort of spontaneous. I tuned in to see what they had to say to people or about others thoughts not to just hear what they had to say. One of the reasons (besides Speigel) that I didn't like Mac's last show was I feel like he lost sight of that. While I understand it's his show and he has the right to do as he pleases there was too much for himself radio and if you don't like it punch the button.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:43 am 

ShipOfZion wrote:
Stopped listening to this show, but that Furious Five thing is excruciatingly terrible. There are many things to dislike about Grimace. One thing that really irritated the hell out of me is how he continuously repeats jokes he makes or comments he thinks are witty. More often than not, his quips are completely unfunny. He just doesn't let shit go.

He does. They are usually not his. He repeats what someone else said that was funny.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:44 am 

ShipOfZion wrote:

I am surprised at the lack of production from the show. You would think that after Mac departed he would put everything into it, knowing it has become his show and if the show doesnt work he is gone.

Can only assume at this point the pressure is mounting with bad ratings and a June 2015 contract expiration. Good thing Rod Zim likes cheap contracts better than actual good radio,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:49 am 

He seems like the type that would think he is putting in everything. That's not completely his fault, it's part of his personality.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I remember one 'Big Doug' segment (which gets it right, IMO) where Laurence was sitting in and then the following week Mully was reading the results and was like 'so Laurence gave a pick too? um...ok...' and didn't even read them :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:16 pm 

No doubt that Pick-to-click/click-to-pick is forced (and really tired) but its done quickly, without fanfare, and is ovah after it is introduced. Is there any doubt that Spiegel's hole card is the willingness to work for less? Less Tributo if necessary? I would have thought he would have put his own imprimatur on the show by now, instead it is more of following the "What worked for DannyMac" philosophy that permeates the station.

I play fantasy, I know how to gamble, doesn't mean I care to hear full segments. At least involve the callers/listeners to make it relevant. Otherwise we may as well be guessing "what's in the box, the vending machine, or the color of residue in the big man's underwear".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
What happened with the bears and B Marshall? I was at a work meeting, it's all they're talking about now but I don't know what was reported

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
cluv8484 wrote:
What happened with the bears and B Marshall? I was at a work meeting, it's all they're talking about now but I don't know what was reported

2 months ago Marshall was yelling at other guys in the locker room.

We're still talking about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
So this show is by far the lowest rated show on WSCR, I believe they finished about 15th place in the last ratings. It will be interesting to see how long Mitch and Zim tolerate a show with ratings that are about half of the other shows on The Score. Grimace is a liability to WSCR because people avoid him. He isnt a draw. The Snapper is a nice guy, but he doesnt have the radio chops. I cant imagine how bad this show will be after the Super Bowl.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:34 pm 

Big Doug is the best segment on the station. Quick, easy, campy, doesn't take its' self too serious, and yet allows for endless mirth.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
No Clever Moniker wrote:
Big Doug is the best segment on the station. Quick, easy, campy, doesn't take its' self too serious, and yet allows for endless mirth.

the best part of big doug is i get updated QB ratings on every QB...

speigal is just not a likeable radio personality. He comes off as fake and you can tell he has to try really hard to prepare for every show when the best sports talkers dont give this impression and the conversation feels much more natural

who is going to take this timeslot though.... WSCR doesnt have anyone in house that is compelling

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Mackey and The Snapper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
wtf, wasn't john feinstein supposed to have been fired?