It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Drinky is in with Patrick today. I don't believe I have heard this combo before so I will check them out today.
I've really kept away from sports radio most of 2015 so now that the Super Bowl is over I am struggling with
reasons to go back to it.

9:16 Golf talk coming up! I am definitely ok with that but for most that would be PTFB time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
For the most part, I've grown to like Drinky when he is pinch hitting as a host.

Looking forward to hearing the show today and how him & Snapper interact.

So far so good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:30 am 

It's been a pretty decent listen thus far. Little bit of Bears talk happening. Let's milk Patrick
for all he is worth until he probably comes back as a weekly guest after the draft and training
camp start up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
It's been a good show so far, but I wish Abbattacola would stop referencing Rosenbloom's expectations for John Fox.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:14 am 

Seems like many have assumed that Snapper is gone because of bernsie.

But I think it would be way more possible that it is because of meatpants.

He is a smart enough guy to realize he does not want to attach his name to such a sensitive bitch.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:20 am 
1000 CLUB

So Spiegel is off the very next day that Snapper announces he's done? Spiegel didn't say he would be off today, did he? Drinky is the sub? Hmmmm.

There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Beardown wrote:
So Spiegel is off the very next day that Snapper announces he's done? Spiegel didn't say he would be off today, did he? Drinky is the sub? Hmmmm.

There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear.

Why post this in the show thread? There are new threads to be made, and you and Ike need to go make them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:33 am 

RFDC wrote:

He is a smart enough guy to realize he does not want to attach his name to such a sensitive bitch.

Id have to disagree. I mean if the choice is Spiegs or Berns being the reason...its Berns

Its probably neither, though

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:37 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Id have to disagree. I mean if the choice is Spiegs or Berns being the reason...its Berns

I agree it is probably neither.

But if it were one of them, why would he base his career on a guy he interacts with for 15 mins a day on the air?

He deals with the bitch meatpants every day for several hours.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:41 am 

RFDC wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I agree it is probably neither.

But if it were one of them, why would he base his career on a guy he interacts with for 15 mins a day on the air?

He deals with the bitch meatpants every day for several hours.

In limited listening it seemed to me he likes Speigel but doesnt like Bernstein.

Bernstein does run things there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I think he just realized that the grind of a midday sports radio show is hard work that he doesn't really have to do. That he had to work with delicate Spiegel, ownership kiss-ass Bernstein, and the rest of WSCR's grown men acting like teenage girls just made the easy decision even easier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:46 am 

In my extremely limted listening. (Probably like 120 mins total) Mannelly seemed to like Spiegel and be annoyed with Bernstein

But the most logical thing is he doesnt need money and these are the two options:

Do a show every day like an actual job year round

or

Come in during football season and largely make your own schedule by being a "Bears contributor"

Pretty easy choice there

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:
In limited listening it seemed to me he likes Speigel but doesnt like Bernstein.

Bernstein does run things there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Mannelly a big NFLPA guy along with Hillenmeyer and Gould? It probably wasn't pleasant to have gone through the labor strife his union went through recently and then work with a guy who prostrates himself before billionaires as a matter of course. Then to top it all off, Mannelly speaks from his experiences with his teammates only to be told "no, you're wrong, agree with me and you'll look smart" by some social climber. Even if Mannelly wasn't a point guy for the union, it still had to be annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:56 am 

I believe you are correct

Also, it occurred to me that Mannelly, even as a special teamer, became a captain and leader in the Bears locker room. He only deferred to the likes of Urlacher and Kruetz. So now he's going to go into a new situation where he's the rookie and the alpha male is Dan Bernstein? Probably not too enticing for Pat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Having to watching every Hawks/Bulls/Cubs/Sox game or at least pretend to care enough to have interesting thoughts has to be annoying.

Not everyone can or even wants to manufacture meaningless drama to fill 5 hours like Bernstein.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Not only did Mannelly make a nice living playing football for 16 years. He also has a nice NFL pension. So he doesn't need this shit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Curious Hair wrote:
I think he just realized that the grind of a midday sports radio show is hard work that he doesn't really have to do. That he had to work with delicate Spiegel, ownership kiss-ass Bernstein, and the rest of WSCR's grown men acting like teenage girls just made the easy decision even easier.

100%, I dont think Mannelly needs to work again in his life, but its not like he has total F U money either, so to make an extra $50-100K a year is fine.

I do think the bernstein / Spiegel issue opened his eyes to it. Thinking 'WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING?"

Its a great schedule for him, I am telling you it is an ideal schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
I know a guy who used to work with the Bears and he got to know Mannelly pretty well. Said Mannelly was always very good with his money, lived modestly and saved, etc. I think he lived in a cheap ass townhouse in Wheeling or something. His only splurge was the professionally frosted tips.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
My 2 cents, I agree that the problem is Grimace for Pat. His insistence on these "show meetings", "team building activities", watching every goddamn game every night. He's not only overweight, he's overbearing. Pat doesn't need that. He doesn't have to deal with Bernstein that much like someone said.

I find it odd Grimace didn't announce his absence today on yesterday's show as well. He always does that and says who will be filling in, whether it's him, Pat, both of them or even the producers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:14 pm 

Wake up, spend at least an hour in traffic (or on the train) to get downtown for 9:00. Talk on the radio with a partner with whom he has little in common for 4 hours and act like he cares what he has to say. At the end of the shift comes on the kind of asshole he met in college, spewing all kinds of rumor and innuendo about what goes on in the locker room that he's inhabited. Go home, relax, try to have some fun, get ready to go to bed to do it all over again.

I respect Mannelly for stepping forward and to say "this is not what I want." He loves sports. Football, baseball, and basketball. He knows sports (football, basketball) and people in sports (baseball). He's a 16-year pro athlete who can spot other athletes and strike up a conversation in public. Give him a press credential and he can go in to a locker room and people will talk to him. What he won't do is go into a locker room, find some management dweeb, and milk them for information about a given athlete in the same locker room. (Amazing how many people will believe the Duke asshole over the Duke athlete as to what transpires in a locker room in which the latter was a Captain one year removed).

He came to Chicago, found WSCR (1160) and fell in love with the medium. He came to work the medium and found it to be less than desireable, or less suited to what he believed he wanted. No reason why he can't use this experience and build upon it. There may be other opportunities, and with them will be other "know-it-all" assholes with whom he has to interact. But for now I'm sure he wants to go back to watching, loving, and perhaps most importantly enjoying sports.

I liked him, enjoyed listening to what he offered, and I wish him well!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Curious Hair on fire in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Somebody posted in an older thread about Speigs & Snapper that it seemed like Speigs was treating Pat like a "sugar daddy".

Pat was being generous and springing for lunches, coffee, etc.

Matt continually brings up the term long snapper money.

That has to get old and irritating. It's like the guy at work who claims that he is only "joking" when he constantly brings up the same insult time after time.

I would bet that is wearing thin on Snapper as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:22 pm 

Can't really hate on a guy who has set himself up in a position to be able to choose to do what he
wants and has a passion for. I applaud his effort and will continue to enjoy his analysis and thoughts
on football when he is on. Good luck out on the golf course Pat, I'm gonna guess you are going to
be playing a lot this season. I'd love to run into this guy and play 18.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yeah. Good point.

I also thought Spiegel took advantage of Mac. Mac put up all the show's gambling money. Spiegel didn't chip in at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Beardown wrote:
Yeah. Good point.

I also thought Spiegel took advantage of Mac. Mac put up all the show's gambling money. Spiegel didn't chip in at all.

Is that a Jewish joke?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
I think Mannelly believed it was important to watch the teams he is being paid to analyze. The late nights brought on by the west coast swing for the Bulls and Hawks probably opened his eyes. The prospect of (2x) 162 game baseball seasons is just around the corner as well. These are the teams he really hasn't followed regularly but now feels obligated to in order to perform his job well. As he stated repeatedly, he opted to focus on the only sport he truly cares about. I can understand and appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Very deep thinking.

The ratings continue to swoon.

Bring us entertainment Mitch!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
The Gridiron Assassin wrote:
Very deep thinking.

The ratings continue to swoon.

Bring us entertainment Mitch!

Bring us Mac with a new partner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

When I hear a grandmother talking to a calm and advice giving Matt Abbatacola - it quickly turns into white noise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Role models in sports?

WTF?

Did Wally Phillips get reincarnated?