It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Spiegs and Shep putting claim to it....more to be discussed next week as it is 12:55 PM

I will make Spiegs aware that many have been on this for 3+ years.

Tease for next week.....THATS RADIO BABY!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Ehhhh.... weak at best.

Here is what happened to White Sox nation:

2007 was one of the worst teams in the franchise history. Drove away and killed whatever drawing card from winning teams of '05 and '06. Blackhawks got good and Bulls got Derrick Rose.

There are still plenty of members of Sox Nation. Too bad the team is 4th on the Chicago teams depth chart. Too bad they are spending all their ticket money at the United Center these days.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
35 years of being treated like crap. still waiting for fan morale to improve. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Uh no. How about the worst location for the ball park? Why would anyone from the suburbs, especially in West and North, want to drive to South Side to see a game? Murderous traffic most of the time in-bound, even literally. To get there for a night game, it's at least a 1 1/2 hour trip one way from Naperville.

How about an uncharismatic manager? How about bad players, until this year? Should we have wanted to go see Adam Dunn and Gordon Beckham?

The opposite is true. Hawk would be a reason to go see them. Die hard Sox fans love him still. He is Mr. White Sox. There are no die hard Sox fans at the Score, except Mully maybe.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:24 pm 

once every 8-10 years Uncle Jerry buys a few free ajents and expects the whole world to fall at his feet. :lol:

proof intelligence and wealth have a correlation of 0.0.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Great American
B&B have been trying to pump this lie for a long time. It was silly crap then and it's silly crap now.

Mac FM wrote:
Did somebody say grass?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:26 pm 

donspiracy wrote:
Ehhhh.... weak at best.

2007 was one of the worst teams in the franchise history. Drove away and killed whatever drawing card from winning teams of '05 and '06. Blackhawks got good and Bulls got Derrick Rose.

There are still plenty of members of Sox Nation. Too bad the team is 4th on the Chicago teams depth chart. Too bad they are spending all their ticket money at the United Center these days.

Gotta go back to early 80's. The Sox lost a generation with pay per view and the Cubs gained a nation via doing the exact opposite....

Its the balance of the world....at the same time Jerry R got a guy named Jordan, nice trade off

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:29 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Uh no. How about the worst location for the ball park? Why would anyone from the suburbs, especially in West and North, want to drive to South Side to see a game? Murderous traffic most of the time in-bound, even literally. To get there for a night game, it's at least a 1 1/2 hour trip one way from Naperville.

Its very easy to get to and from in regards to the South side and the South burbs. I think that's most of their fanbase.

Where would you put it that traffic wouldnt be bad from Naperville? In Naperville?

Its not Hawk, but its not location either

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Dignified Rube wrote:
Uh no. How about the worst location for the ball park? Why would anyone from the suburbs, especially in West and North, want to drive to South Side to see a game?

Do you have a better location in mind for a park in a ~10MM metropolitan area with a high central population density? Access from the Dan Ryan, the Red Line, and a Metra line aren't good enough? And this is the one that's not in a residential neighborhood with nowhere to park. Where would you like them to play?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
is there a synopisis of the hawk keeps people from the park thoery? I've never heard that before.

I dont go to games because i just dont like baseball as much as i did when i was younger. I also dot go because spending $100+ to take a family just doesnt seem like you get the entertainment value for your dollar with baseball games.... plus it really pisses me off to pay $25 to park my car.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:55 pm 

$125 to get treated like you're at the airport. :lol:

"no I said that was a bomb, I don't HAVE a bomb."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
bigfan wrote:
donspiracy wrote:
Ehhhh.... weak at best.

Gotta go back to early 80's. The Sox lost a generation with pay per view and the Cubs gained a nation via doing the exact opposite....

Its the balance of the world....at the same time Jerry R got a guy named Jordan, nice trade off

That was me as a kid. No cable but loved baseball and the Cub were on free tv everyday. Easy to see why I and countless others became fans.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I don't know why Bernstein and Co. have to always blaspheme Hawk. At least in my lifetime, he is to the Sox what Harry Carry was to the Cubs. One thing he's never lacked is enthusiasm for the White Sox and he's never been afraid to be critical of the team and organization. Would you rather have a puppet instead? Stone isn't one either. For a major league broadcasting team, they're damn good. I prefer Hawk and Stone to the radio team.

What the F is Bernstein and Drinky talking about? You're hating on Mr. White Sox. There's so little personality in the White Sox organization that if you took Hawk away, they would be nobody.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I think Hawk is one of the most embarrassingly bad announcers I've ever heard, so I don't watch White Sox games because of him. Farmer is awful, too, so I don't listen to White Sox games.

I don't hear either one of them if I go to a game.

This theory makes zero sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Rube...Hawk is not even close to being in the same sentence as Harry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:03 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Its very easy to get to and from in regards to the South side and the South burbs. I think that's most of their fanbase.

Where would you put it that traffic wouldnt be bad from Naperville? In Naperville?

Its not Hawk, but its not location either

To dismiss Hawk as part of the problem is just ignoring it....I am not putting it all on him by any means, it is a culture Jerry let grow...

I have pointed it out before that Jerry looks at the Sox as something he tried to make into this family event, comfy, feel good etc. It didn take, so he let it all go back to the F U mode of everything.

As long as his investors dont lose money, he will continue to do whatever his people say is right...he feels like he tried to appease people and they didnt appreciate it...so he just is doing what he likes to do...you want to come great, if you dont he doesnt care. Notice of all the people in the Sox organization over the years that shit on the attendance, its never Jerry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
bigfan wrote:
I have pointed it out before that Jerry looks at the Sox as something he tried to make into this family event, comfy, feel good etc. It didn take, so he let it all go back to the F U mode of everything.

Right. Wasn't Reinsdorf and Einhorn's early tenure defined by trying to smooth off all the rough edges of the Bill Veeck White Sox? They got rid of Harry and Jimmy, they replaced Andy the Clown with Ribbie and Roobarb, anything that developed organically or couldn't make them money was scrubbed out by the rich out-of-towners. Sounds a little like what Tom Ricketts is doing now, come to think of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:23 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Right. Wasn't Reinsdorf and Einhorn's early tenure defined by trying to smooth off all the rough edges of the Bill Veeck White Sox? They got rid of Harry and Jimmy, they replaced Andy the Clown with Ribbie and Roobarb, anything that developed organically or couldn't make them money was scrubbed out by the rich out-of-towners. Sounds a little like what Tom Ricketts is doing now, come to think of it.

Yup, he tried to make everything 'Super Friendly" and in his words 'clean it up'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
bigfan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Yup, he tried to make everything 'Super Friendly" and in his words 'clean it up'

That's true. And the old park was never friendly. It was dark and dangerous. Shirtless teenagers smoking weed in the corners. Andy the Clown and his filthy mouth. I felt like a grownup there when I was twelve years old. It was a totally different vibe than Wrigley. You could get the same vibe at Wrigley back then, but you had to walk outside the park.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:17 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Peoria Matt wrote:
Rube...Hawk is not even close to being in the same sentence as Harry.

If you take their entire careers that's true. But Cubs Harry is similar to Hawk. A crazy old drunk talking shit and mispronouncing names backward. He was beloved in his horribleness.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
bigfan wrote:

That's true. And the old park was never friendly. It was dark and dangerous. Shirtless teenagers smoking weed in the corners. Andy the Clown and his filthy mouth. I felt like a grownup there when I was twelve years old. It was a totally different vibe than Wrigley. You could get the same vibe at Wrigley back then, but you had to walk outside the park.

This effort has been forgotten by many...I do think Jerry should have tried it again, I think it would have worked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:46 am 

The park was cool. Nobody complained in 1983. No empty skyboxes though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:30 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:

How about an uncharismatic manager? How about bad players, until this year? Should we have wanted to go see Adam Dunn and Gordon Beckham?

The opposite is true. Hawk would be a reason to go see them. Die hard Sox fans love him still. He is Mr. White Sox. There are no die hard Sox fans at the Score, except Mully maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:45 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
That's true. And the old park was never friendly. It was dark and dangerous. Shirtless teenagers smoking weed in the corners. Andy the Clown and his filthy mouth. I felt like a grownup there when I was twelve years old.

Wow!!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Going to games on .50 Wednesdays with my older brother. We thought we were big shots hanging out with the miscreants.