It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
T-Bone wrote:
Put a new putter in the bag this weekend and started paying dividends yesterday. Playing in a scramble today for a charity event. Looking like it’s going to be pretty wet out there. Should be a long day. I hate to complain because it’s better than being at work but a 5 or 6 hour soggy round is my worst nightmare. I played with my buddy yesterday and finished 18 by 8:15am. :lol:

What putter T-Bone?

I haven’t played in a scramble in a couple seasons, around here they’ve turned into who can cheat the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:56 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Put a new putter in the bag this weekend and started paying dividends yesterday. Playing in a scramble today for a charity event. Looking like it’s going to be pretty wet out there. Should be a long day. I hate to complain because it’s better than being at work but a 5 or 6 hour soggy round is my worst nightmare. I played with my buddy yesterday and finished 18 by 8:15am. :lol:

I've pretty mush retired from playing in those charity scrambles. 6 hour rounds are too much.

I told the guy at work that I would be a last minute fill in only. Of course they had 2 people drop out. It is a pretty fun Donald Ross track with crazy green complexes. Teed off at 10 and were done about 3 so it actually moved pretty well. Got rained on off and on the first 5 holes and then the sun came out. Overall it was enjoyable but then I had to stick around for dinner and prizes and I just wanted to go home. I told my wife the next time I get invited to have her remind me not to get signed up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:02 am 

QuadCityDope wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

What putter T-Bone?

I haven’t played in a scramble in a couple seasons, around here they’ve turned into who can cheat the best.

I picked up a Scotty Cameron Hollywood California in the offseason. Not really a highly sought after club but I really enjoy that California line and have the Coronado and Del Mar as well. The guy I bought it from had it refinished so it is in good shape. Just seems to have a softer face than the other two and is a bit lighter. I put a smaller Super Stroke grip on it and I bought some weights that screw into the bottom so I really can customize it when I need to change it up. With the greens starting to run faster I thought I would give it a run.

I usually play in a year end scramble at our home course with my usual guys. It has become a potential cheat fest out there. It is a 27 hole event and if you don't shoot better than -20 you have no chance to win. Two years ago we shot -19 and had a group shoot -21 I think. They had a woman ringer on their team so they were hitting all of their second shots from way closer than everyone else. The first prize is a free membership for the following year so you can imagine people looking to shave strokes and cheat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:40 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
That’s some bullshit lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:05 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I shot at 101 at George Dunne on Sunday. Few big numbers, four pars. Putting was pretty good, greens were ultra quick. Chipping/pitching, not so much. Bit of a mixed bag off the tee with some crushed drives, but 3 lost balls. Not the best score, but the course was was in tremendous shape. Bunkers need some work, but the fairways and greens were awesome. No issue with pace as we teed off at 3:20 and were done by 7:40 with our only delay being at #10. The weather was just picture perfect. A mix of sun and high clouds, with very little wind. Saw a few deer and a bald eagle as well which was pretty neat.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:46 am 

Did a brief accounting of the stats I keep after 18 rounds this year. Definitely would like some improvements but here is what it looks like currently.... I realize no one gives a shit but someone might find it somewhat interesting.....

78.5 stroke average
41% of fairways hit ( would like 50% or better, last year was 43% )
46% of greens hit ( I had almost 52% last year )
30.8 putts a round with 0.77 three putts per round
57% scrambling which is chipping up and getting down in 1 putt ( like to get this over 60% )
23% sand saves. Last year I was over 50% which was an all time best. Going to be hard to bring this number up after a slow start.
1.3 birdies a round. Really need to get this up to 2. I averaged 1.5 last year

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:03 am 

Looks like it is going to be a really nice weekend and Father's Day so hopefully some of you guys are getting out there to play. I've got a bit of a medical issue that has come up with my neck so it will be interesting to see how much it bothers me during the golf swing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:12 am 

Headed back to the Highlands in Elgin on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:45 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:

I've heard good things about that place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:47 am 

T-Bone wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Not at all walkable but an amazing and comparatively cheap public course.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
SpiralStairs wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Not at all walkable but an amazing and comparatively cheap public course.

Yeah, it's a fun track.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:55 am 
100000 CLUB

Sunrise round tomorrow at Coyote Run in Flossmoor. Would love to break 90 but given the way I've been playing the last couple three rounds, 92-95 would be perfectly acceptable. Maybe I'm a little nutty, but I absolutely love the 4am alarm for golf on a weekend.

Playing in a scramble outing at Silver Lake on Monday, and of course it will be nearly 100 degrees. At least we'll be riding. Playing with my cousin and three of his friends; "We're all pretty big hitters but two of us can't putt for shit so we need you." While my short game has been pretty good this year (for my standards), I told him we're in trouble if I'm the anchor man on the putting green. Only ~60 golfers so hopefully we'll be sub 5 hours. Since cheating tends to be the way in a scramble, the prizes for the top three teams are a dozen golf balls. The good prizes (Weekend getaway, free foursome etc) go for the contests on the course. "Oh, we shot a 51," my ass.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:13 am 

I never mind getting up at 3:15 and out the door at 4:45 on the weekends so definitely get it.

I finally had it going today but it took a 40 ft putt from off the green and a chip in from 25 yards to get there. Carded a 72 and had 23 putts total so I was scrambling from all over. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd round this year when the sun was actually out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
92-95 would be perfectly acceptable
Boy, did I sell myself short. For the first time in my life, I finally put it together start to finish during a round of golf. No penalties, no double bogeys, two three putts, 2 birdies, 8 pars. 39-38 for a 77, my best score to par (+6) and first time ever breaking 80 on a regular par 70/71/72 course.

Brilliant weather, Coyote Run was in excellent condition. Finally convinced my old man to play the forward tees for the entire round he got his first couple pars of the season and shot 82. Just a great start to Father's Day weekend!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:11 pm 

Congrats Frank. Very happy for you. I know you’ve been chasing that for a while. Nice Fathers Day gift to yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
That’s awesome, congrats.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

:lol: :lol: 23 putts in a round. GTFO. Thats crazy good. I thought my 15 putts on the front 9 was good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Nice round, Frank!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:31 pm 

97 at Elgin Highlands. The three 8s on the back nine were not helpful. Yikes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
SpiralStairs wrote:

Up your game at chipotle and you’ll see improvements on the course.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:19 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Up your game at chipotle and you’ll see improvements on the course.

The rice made me hit three consecutive bunkers on 18 :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:11 am 

Had another nice round on Sunday so felt good to have a few days in a row. Biggest improvement has been from the sand. I got up and down 3 out 4 times Saturday and 2 out of 3 Sunday. I realized I wasn't bending my knees enough in there and getting under the ball correctly. I ended up holing out from a deep bunker on #17. The pin was in a spot where I had short sided myself and the green ran away from the bunker. I had to hit a super soft shot just over the lip and trickle it down. Pulled it off perfectly and I'd say it was the best bunker shot I've ever made in 40 years of playing so that was exciting for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Naper-brook golf course Sunday with Dad, Sister, B-I-L, and my 2 kids. I'm pretty bad at golf, but only go about once a year. I was finally able to put to work my new Callaway Mavrik driver....it's really nice, but I'm no expert.

Maybe I'll get out once or twice more this year. I didn't keep score but felt like I played my best round ever.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:50 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Naper-brook golf course Sunday with Dad, Sister, B-I-L, and my 2 kids. I'm pretty bad at golf, but only go about once a year. I was finally able to put to work my new Callaway Mavrik driver....it's really nice, but I'm no expert.

Maybe I'll get out once or twice more this year. I didn't keep score but felt like I played my best round ever.

The Mavrik is a nice driver. They were only around for a season or two but it should hold up well for years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:49 pm 

Playing Racine CC tomorrow which I hear is very nice. Was supposed to go somewhere else but plans changed last minute. Looking rainy Saturday morning but still think I am going to show up to play and dodge the rain drops.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
T-Bone wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

The Mavrik is a nice driver. They were only around for a season or two but it should hold up well for years.

I love my Mavrik 3W, picked up a 2020 demo model lightly used from Callaway pre-owned at the beginning of 2021. Hit it off the tee more than my driver by the end of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

I love my Mavrik 3W, picked up a 2020 demo model lightly used from Callaway pre-owned at the beginning of 2021. Hit it off the tee more than my driver by the end of the year.

I bought a used set of Northwestern clubs YEARS ago from Play It Again Sports. The once a year golf meeting with my sister she really laid into me about a new driver and "modern technology". I got my son a really nice Callaway driver in 2020, but he's a lefty. i could tell, though, it was really nice. This last year my wife was drilling my for gift ideas so that's how I got the Mavrick driver.

Again...I'm no golf expert but it sure seemed to help me a lot. Really comfortable to swing.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:11 pm 

Had a hole in one lip out this afternoon at Villa Olivia. Finished with a 105. Barf.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

BigW, I can attest as somebody who got new clubs this year after using 20-year-old irons for a while, the technology difference in the new equipment makes a world of difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:44 am 

Headed to Charlotte tomorrow morning to spend a few days with my mother. We are going to play golf a few days so hopefully the weather works out. Always kind of fun to dust off my old set of clubs and give them a few swings. I've been more and more tempted to bring them home and sell them but it is nice to have clubs already down there so I don't have to lug them around the airport.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next