It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
shakes wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Me and a rag-tag team won the tourney portion of a 3-day golf trip to Nowheresville, Wisc. two weeks ago, my first time ever playing an "event" like that. First day was "handicapping", then the next 2 days were scramble format with standard skills prizes and lowest score day/overall prizes. The teams were shuffled into either foursomes of A, B, C, D rated players from the previous day, or a threesome of A, C, D players with a rotating mulligan (hole or shot-based, team's choice), and we went out and shot a 72-69 in partially windy/rainy conditions to win the second day and overall at -3. To top it off on the second day I won the closest to the pin on the back 9 and the longest drive for a few extra bucks, so ended up walking away with a decent chunk of change.

It was my first time ever really playing for money like that, and to be honest the format had me forgetting that I had put down any money at all, so I was swinging anxiety-free and was pleasantly surprised splitting up the cash with teammates after the second round. I know the score in scramble format is nothing to write home about, and probably neither is the money, so this isn't a brag, just a facet of golfing travel I've never experienced before, and 10/10 would do again. I think what was nice was that I drove there in my car, so none of this being on an airport oasis stuff you get traveling to ritzier digs.

Funny side note: I kept our score on my watch as a backup just in case (I will exempt the scores from my stats), but it was funny to see that 2 really good rounds of golf played on a majority of my shots lowered my handicap from the mid-10's to like a 4.9. Which I guess just goes to show I don't and never will understand the handicapping system.

Where'd you play?

I think you're putting in your numbers wrong lol, don't see how 2 rounds could ever lower a handicap from mid 10s to 4.9. I'm no math guy, but that seems mathematically impossible. if your mid 10s you're shooting rounds in the mid 80s to mid to late 90s pretty consistently. Plus doesn't handicap throw out your 2 best and 2 worst rounds out of your last 20? either way, a guy in the mid 10s would probably need at least 8 rounds in the mid 70s to make a jump like that.

We played Waushara CC, Mascoutin GC, and Two Oaks North. Mascoutin was probably my favorite, the greens were well maintained and challenging.

And yeah my Garmin s70 does all the handicap calculations, so I don't know how it went down from like a 10.4 to a 4.9, maybe it's because we shot a 72 from the blues on Mascoutin. Regardless, the handicap will be back up where it should be with the stats ignored, especially since I came home and promptly shot 41-46 over two days at my home course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
shakes wrote:
Me and a rag-tag team won the tourney portion of a 3-day golf trip to Nowheresville, Wisc. two weeks ago, my first time ever playing an "event" like that. First day was "handicapping", then the next 2 days were scramble format with standard skills prizes and lowest score day/overall prizes. The teams were shuffled into either foursomes of A, B, C, D rated players from the previous day, or a threesome of A, C, D players with a rotating mulligan (hole or shot-based, team's choice), and we went out and shot a 72-69 in partially windy/rainy conditions to win the second day and overall at -3. To top it off on the second day I won the closest to the pin on the back 9 and the longest drive for a few extra bucks, so ended up walking away with a decent chunk of change.

It was my first time ever really playing for money like that, and to be honest the format had me forgetting that I had put down any money at all, so I was swinging anxiety-free and was pleasantly surprised splitting up the cash with teammates after the second round. I know the score in scramble format is nothing to write home about, and probably neither is the money, so this isn't a brag, just a facet of golfing travel I've never experienced before, and 10/10 would do again. I think what was nice was that I drove there in my car, so none of this being on an airport oasis stuff you get traveling to ritzier digs.

Funny side note: I kept our score on my watch as a backup just in case (I will exempt the scores from my stats), but it was funny to see that 2 really good rounds of golf played on a majority of my shots lowered my handicap from the mid-10's to like a 4.9. Which I guess just goes to show I don't and never will understand the handicapping system.

Where'd you play?

I think you're putting in your numbers wrong lol, don't see how 2 rounds could ever lower a handicap from mid 10s to 4.9. I'm no math guy, but that seems mathematically impossible. if your mid 10s you're shooting rounds in the mid 80s to mid to late 90s pretty consistently. Plus doesn't handicap throw out your 2 best and 2 worst rounds out of your last 20? either way, a guy in the mid 10s would probably need at least 8 rounds in the mid 70s to make a jump like that.

We played Waushara CC, Mascoutin GC, and Two Oaks North. Mascoutin was probably my favorite, the greens were well maintained and challenging.

And yeah my Garmin s70 does all the handicap calculations, so I don't know how it went down from like a 10.4 to a 4.9, maybe it's because we shot a 72 from the blues on Mascoutin. Regardless, the handicap will be back up where it should be with the stats ignored, especially since I came home and promptly shot 41-46 over two days at my home course.

LOVE the Scoot! Particularly the Blue 9 which is the newest of the 3 nines. Did you play the Blue? It's far and away better than the Red and White 9s.

If you were at the Scoot why didn't you take the 5 minute drive to Green Lake and play Lawsonia?

I played 2 Oaks North, it's fine for what it is, but it's a dirt cheap course for a reason.

wait, you entered your scramble score into your handicap? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
shakes wrote:
shakes wrote:

Where'd you play?

LOVE the Scoot! Particularly the Blue 9 which is the newest of the 3 nines. Did you play the Blue? It's far and away better than the Red and White 9s.

If you were at the Scoot why didn't you take the 5 minute drive to Green Lake and play Lawsonia?

I played 2 Oaks North, it's fine for what it is, but it's a dirt cheap course for a reason.

wait, you entered your scramble score into your handicap? :shock:

Yeah Mascoutin was Blue-Red that day, and the front 9 was gorgeous. As for the other courses, I didn't organize the trip, but I think we got a free round at one of the places because of some hotel deal.

And I don't keep an official USGA handicap, it's just a feature in the Garmin golf app I use, so it got entered into my log of scores when I was keeping our team score on my watch as a backup. I can only tell the app to exempt the round from my stats after the round is completed, for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Get a CDGA handicap. I think it costs like $20. You don't want to be invited to a member-guest at some sweet ass club and you can't play because you don't have an official handicap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:38 am 

Franky T wrote:
Get a CDGA handicap. I think it costs like $20. You don't want to be invited to a member-guest at some sweet ass club and you can't play because you don't have an official handicap.

I signed up for it this season. It was $50. Not sure I'll even have an "official" reason to use it, but wanted to have it just in case.

Also using 'The Grint' app. I use the app as I play. GPS portion of it comes in handy, and also can keep track of all kinds of different stats. At the end of the round, I hit 'submit score', and it links directly to USGA/CDGA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:43 am 

shakes wrote:
casual fan wrote:
Played The Preserve at Oak Meadows in Addison on Saturday. Course was remodeled in 2017, with a lot of prairie areas and the wetlands/floodplain along the Salt Creek being reclaimed. I really liked the layout, and would recommend it to anyone that shoots 80's or better. Worse than that, and you might spend more time swearing over lost golf balls than enjoying the course. They do have 5 sets of tees (and a couple hybrid layouts), so if you're realistic about the tees you play, it's more manageable. Almost every tee shot requires some thought on how you want to play the hole. Many are setup with wide landing areas if you are willing to hit 4i, 5W, 3W, off the tee. Things tighten up/or fairway runs out with driver. On the 14 par 4/5's I hit driver 4 times.

haven't played it since the re-do, but heard good things.

Trying this one again Saturday. Key is getting a late day tee time. It's $105/$120 w/ cart if you have 3:50 tee-time. Teeing off at 4:00, and it's was $54/$69.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Anyone played Chevy Chase in Wheeling ? Have a tee time there Sunday . I’m hope I’m not in for Big Run misery again :lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
badrogue17 wrote:
Anyone played Chevy Chase in Wheeling ? Have a tee time there Sunday . I’m hope I’m not in for Big Run misery again :lol:

Nothing like Big Fun. Chevy chase is a pretty standard northern burbs parkland style course. There will be some narrow parts with trees to deal with, but other than that it will be pretty straight forward with relatively flat and not too fast greens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:

I went to a wedding there last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Couples weekend three days of golf in Ohio. I am sure I am going to be lousy. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Had a co-worker invite me to play Erin Hills through a supplier next week. I was very tempted, as it is one of my favorite courses but ended up turning him down. Knowing what I know about that course and looking at the weather forecast, I just didn't want to take it on. It's a beautiful facility and they have priced themselves out of me going into my own pocket to play at $425 greens fees during peak season. Tack on another $50 for a caddie and suggested $75 tip for said caddie ( no carts allowed out there ). It's also purported to be a roughly 7 mile hilly walk. I've played it 3 times in the past but I didn't want to have a 5+ hour day out there with potential rain looming, possible 90 degree temps, and playing with folks I didn't know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:05 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Had a co-worker invite me to play Erin Hills through a supplier next week. I was very tempted, as it is one of my favorite courses but ended up turning him down. Knowing what I know about that course and looking at the weather forecast, I just didn't want to take it on. It's a beautiful facility and they have priced themselves out of me going into my own pocket to play at $425 greens fees during peak season. Tack on another $50 for a caddie and suggested $75 tip for said caddie ( no carts allowed out there ). It's also purported to be a roughly 7 mile hilly walk. I've played it 3 times in the past but I didn't want to have a 5+ hour day out there with potential rain looming, possible 90 degree temps, and playing with folks I didn't know.

Isn’t the supplier paying, if so, I don’t understand saying no.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:37 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I played in an event last week and just a really busy time at work to be taking a day off. Just feel like it wouldn't be very enjoyable in the end. I love to play golf but don't love to play very slow golf.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:38 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I played in an event last week and just a really busy time at work to be taking a day off. Just feel like it wouldn't be very enjoyable in the end. I love to play golf but don't love to play very slow golf.

It has never been Whistling Straits slow when I have played there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:52 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Smart move, TBone. If you aren't in it mentally either having fun, playing well, or both, then there is little point to hitting the links. Especially at that price tag.

Golf Prices in general have gone crazy, and Covid really exacerbated this. Take George Dunne for example. Its usually in good- not great- condition, and it can be a fun track to play. There is no way its worth nearly $80 to ride on a weekend. I would rather play two dogtracks for $40 each. Also, driving ranges. I know its essentially free money for the courses, but you used to be able to get a small or warmup bucket for $5 or less. Now you can only get a 'small' with 60 balls for $10. I want like 15-20 swings before play. I ain't Vijay Singh out there at 6am grinding it out before a round.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:12 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

It has never been Whistling Straits slow when I have played there.

When I add in the time it would take to drive up and back, play the golf and then likely have drinks or dinner afterwards it was going to be an all day thing which I had no interest in signing up for. It also happens to be my wife's birthday so it will just be easier for me to stay local, not fall behind at work and maybe something will work out another time. It is a supplier I do very little business with so other than not getting to golf a great course, I am not missing out on much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:02 pm 

I know it’s not an issue for you T-Bone but anywhere where I would HAVE to have a caddy is a no go for me . I’m embarrassed enough the play in front of my friends let alone somebody who’s going to try to tell me where to hit the shots when I have no chance of hitting the shot where it’s supposed to go to begin with. I would not find that to be an enjoyable round .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:12 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
I know it’s not an issue for you T-Bone but anywhere where I would HAVE to have a caddy is a no go for me . I’m embarrassed enough the play in front of my friends let alone somebody who’s going to try to tell me where to hit the shots when I have no chance of hitting the shot where it’s supposed to go to begin with. I would not find that to be an enjoyable round .

I think you can carry your own bag there if you would like. Rogue I think you might change your mind on caddies if you had one. They are all different of course but I have always found them fairly helpful, especially on the green or giving you a general idea about where you want to try to put the ball. These guys on the top courses are pros and have seen it all from very good players to total hacks. They are there to just help you. When I have played these type of places with suppliers they have covered the golf and caddy fee but it has always been on me to provide the tip and I just don't want to go into my pocket for $75-100 which is another reason not to play at this time. I know part of me will regret it because I spread my dad and brothers ashes out there and it is probably my favorite course but I know how I usually feel when I finally get back home from these and am convinced I would be kicking myself for getting roped into it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:38 pm 

94. Not too bad. Chip in birdie par 3 from 25 yards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:10 pm 

pittmike wrote:
94. Not too bad. Chip in birdie par 3 from 25 yards.

Attaboy !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:37 am 

Got both rounds in before the rain this weekend. 8) Finally hitting the ball better. 74 this morning with three 3-putts. Hit all 9 greens on the back which was unusual, 15 all day which was my best this season by far.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Thought on the Callaway Men's Strata for a starter set?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Callaway-Men-s-Strata-Ultimate-19-Complete-16-Piece-Steel-Golf-Club-Set-with-Bag-Right-Handed/900827884?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101258011&adid=22222222227900827884_101258011_151856360579_18800125111&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=666827689194&wl4=pla-2170653604262&wl5=1016396&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=738189613&wl11=online&wl12=900827884_101258011&veh=sem&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6-mYiYTyhgMVrzgIBR0vjw73EAQYBCABEgILxPD_BwE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:26 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:

Are you just starting or do you know how to swing a club and at least get it in the air most of the time?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:39 pm 

I took lessons pre-pandemic. I can grip right, I can hit the ball consistently, but I’m still a pretty green beginner.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:43 pm 

I took lessons pre-pandemic. I can grip right, I can hit the ball consistently, but I’m still a pretty green beginner.

I'd get fitted for irons then instead of getting a starter set. Most places I think don't charge for the fitting as long as you buy the clubs.

You can buy a 2023 driver separately or include that in the fitting but they may try and sell you a $600 driver then.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:52 pm 

If you are planning on playing 1 or 2 times a year they would do fine, but if you are actually hoping to play a bit more and get better performance, I would tend to follow Bricks advice and get fitted for something that works best for you and your swing characteristics.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:17 pm 

Thanks guys, I'll have to research getting fitted for clubs. I'm being asked (forced) to play more golf for sales, so I'm expecting to be playing one or two times a month.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:50 pm 

Look at used market on line. Tons of stuff if you have patience to wait for a steal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:10 pm 

Thanks guys, I'll have to research getting fitted for clubs. I'm being asked (forced) to play more golf for sales, so I'm expecting to be playing one or two times a month.

Whats your budget Hoffy ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:05 am 

badrogue17 wrote:

Whats your budget Hoffy ?

Between $500-$1000.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next