It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Farmer just filling time
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I was lucky enough to catch the first few minutes of yesterdays game on the radio.

Usual Ed Farmer crap, but really noticed that his inability to communicate with his radio partner leads him to the attempt to paint the picture for the radio listeners. Thus he tries to go into detail with anything he can regarding the environment

While some might say this is a professional radio man, I would venture to say it is a guy who has nothing to talk about with his radio partner and thus just starts spewing words about anything he sees.

came to this simple conclusion when he corrected himself 3 times regarding the minimal wind speed of 8, no 9....well....it's up to 10 MPH! Then trying to describe the grass?

Go ahead, guess what color the grass was ? It was a Lovely shade of ___________?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
You listen to more Sox games than I do...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Krazy Ivan wrote:
You listen to more Sox games than I do...

No game, just got in the car and Farmio starting the game. Might have listened to a pitch or 3, but so dull and lifeless I couldn't remember after that.

The Sox are like Larry, I don't plan on changing the station when they are on, they are just such a bad listen that I end up changing it.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
BIGFAN criticizing Farmio should be a rolling thread.

Farmio has his own sense of humor. Only he "gets" it. Still more fun than the Hawkeroo.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
rooney and farmer was a good broadcast. rooney's got his professiona PBP chops established, and he's old enough to be down with a proper baseball curmudgeon like ed farmer, whose personality is obviously gonna grate on people but hey c'est la vie.

DJ is the redheaded stepchild of the white sox broadcasts over the last ~5-10 years or whatever. it's obvious that both of the sox' resident curmudgeons aren't too fond of DJ, whose "aww shucks" aka "gee jolly wikkickers" demeanor is the veritable wingless airplane with hawk and farmer: that shit don't fly. he must have REALLY ingratiated himself to reinsdorf somewhere along the way to be as entrenched in the organization's broadcast plans as he does. singleton didn't have a long run with the sox, but i'll be damned if he wasn't good enough to use the white sox as a stepping stone to national broadcasting via espn/radio. i'm pretty sure he's been a regular on sunday night baseball since they canned the soup (campbell) and shulman broadcasts (RIP btw...)

so yeah, DJ's the problem methinks. he doesn't bring out the best from either hawk or farmer, who are the type of guys who need someone who they respect in the booth with them otherwise, quoteth gorilla monsoon, there's so much intensity you can cut the electricity with a knife!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Hatchetman wrote:
Farmio has his own sense of humor. Only he "gets" it. Still more fun than the Hawkeroo.

:thumleft: Thank you.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:

Listening to nails screeeeeeeching on a blackboard would be more fun than listening to that braying-asshole/jackass-who-needs-to-be-put-out-to-pasture, Hawk. Seriously--he can't be sent to the glue factory soon enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 pm 

Listening to Farmer is as exciting as listening to a dripping faucet. His constant, worn, and mundane "Have you ever..." baseball questions have grown beyond old and suck whatever marginal energy is transmitted.

Yet that is the White Sox approach. Affordable company men, deliverying without any enthusiasm or emotion, tinged with arrogance.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Sox's broadcast team is flawed — they are both former players. It does help and push the broadcast tremendously if you're PBP guy is a guy with chops who worked his way up and knows how to call a game, and mostly stays out of the personality department, but will add some humor every now and then.

PBP, former player. It's a simple formula. After Farmer and DJ's contracts are up...Wayne Randazzo and Aaron Rowand please.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:15 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
Darrin Jackson and Steve Stone are fine, Hawk and Farmer need to be put out to pasture.

Too bad the Cubs let Bob Brenly walk. He and Kasper were the best in the business together, at least that I've heard in recent years.
Cut in front of Bob and Len together at LCD Soundsystem at Lollapalooza when LCD basically opened for Daft Punk (separate stages tho).

Don't imagine Farmer and DJ or even Stoney and Hawk hang out together outside their time in the broadcast booth.

Bill Burr does a dead-on-balls-accurate parody of a baseball radio play-by-play guy on his most recent padcast:

http://billburr.com/podcast/monday-morn ... st-5-13-13

the baseball announcer thing is at 11:30, after 10 minutes of hawkey tawk.