It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:38 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Wasn't even on Feder's list, nice. Wood still waiting to use that personal services contract I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:27 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
It's not that they'll give him the job, but they'll offer it to him with the expectation that he'll decline.

Dan was right again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Was there ever an official announcement of this? Can't seem to find one and he's still not listed on the Cubs website.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Thin crust cheese extra cheese ....Pizza DOC
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Was there ever an official announcement of this? Can't seem to find one and he's still not listed on the Cubs website.

From www.cubs.com posted By Joey Nowak / MLB.com | 12/13/2013 4:02 P.M. ET

Cubs hire Coomer as analyst for WGN Radio

Ron Coomer will join play-by-play broadcaster Pat Hughes as the analyst on Cubs' radio broadcasts beginning with the 2014 Spring Training schedule.

Chicago media columnist Robert Feder reported Thursday that Coomer got the job and will replace Keith Moreland, who decided he wanted to stay close to his Texas home. The Cubs and WGN Radio made the move official on Friday.

"We're thrilled to have Ron Coomer join the WGN Radio Cubs broadcast team," WGN Radio sports director Dave Eanet said in a statement. "His humor, knowledge and lifelong affinity for the Cubs make him a natural to team up with Pat in the booth for Chicago's very own."

Coomer, 47, played for the Cubs in 2001, batting .261 with eight home runs and 53 RBIs. He was working for FOX Sports North and KTWN radio in Minneapolis. He played six seasons with the Twins.

Coomer was asked via Twitter if that was him in a suit near the Tribune Tower last week in downtown Chicago, and he admitted it was, adding, "Happy to be coming home." He grew up in the Chicago area.

"What a great homecoming for Ron," Crane Kenney, the Cubs' president of business operations, said in a statement. "I enjoyed getting to know Ron during the process and am a fan of his work in the Twin Cities. His knowledge of the game is vast and he will be a great complement to Pat in the WGN booth."

Feder reported that Coomer agreed to a two-year contract with WGN Radio, which had trimmed the choices to Coomer and Todd Hollandsworth, who has a morning show on MLB Network Radio and handles the Cubs' pregame and postgame shows on Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

After his baseball career ended, Coomer opened a baseball facility in Orland Park, Ill., called On Deck Baseball Academy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKWQZI890k0

kinky Ron Coomer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb_iOQrPWOw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Coomdog

Thought he had some batting cages here or had some?

Right now the worst thing about him is that CK likes him, but we will keep an open mind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:42 am 

He had Swingtown in Orland Park but he sold it. Now it's called On Deck Baseball Academy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Keyser Soze wrote:
He had Swingtown in Orland Park but he sold it. Now it's called On Deck Baseball Academy.

Yeah litigation from Steve Miller forced him to sell.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:58 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Yeah litigation from Steve Miller forced him to sell.

"gotta get down to the swing town..."

Steve Miller, under rated! Get rid of Abracadabra...and you have some pretty good songs from the days when they wrote and played music.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
He used to be a team with Boz Scaggs early on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:01 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
bigfan wrote:
Steve Miller, under rated! Get rid of Abracadabra...and you have some pretty good songs from the days when they wrote and played music.

Where are the anthems for our youth? What happened to music that meant something? The Who at the Kingdome, or Kiss at the Coliseum... Where is the "Misty Mountain Hop," where is the, is the "Smoke on the Water"... Where is the "Iron Man" of today?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:48 pm 

Anyone listen to a COOM DOG? Wondering if he works with Pat well, which is the key.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:17 pm 

Listened a little on Friday. Hughes sounded great and coomer sounded a little "distant" or "tin canny" from a quality standpoint. Either that or his voice just sucks for radio. From a cohesive standpoint....they sounded ok. Hughes seems to try to hard by asking the "when you played" & "what did you do" or "what did you try"...etc... But the back and forth seemed good enough the little bit that I listened.

One thing that made me cringe a little was the "Ron" factor. Thought maybe they were playing the Ronnie santo angle or something. Probably just the coincidence of the same name and hearing Hughes say it.

AnyWay...I'd give them a solid B....or maybe C+ if Coomers voice is actually that radio soft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Tuned into the Cubs radio broadcast today for a few innings. Ron Coomer is fucking terrible. Just awful. I really cant believe that they couldnt have found a better color Man to work with Pat.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
Tuned into the Cubs radio broadcast today for a few innings. Ron Coomer is fucking terrible. Just awful. I really cant believe that they couldnt have found a better color Man to work with Pat.

Did you have an imaginary radio?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:31 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

He was actually pretty good. Seemed that Pat even enjoyed talking with him. Imagine that, 2 guys that like talking to each other.

Could have found a quality lifer here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: my house
bigfan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

He was actually pretty good. Seemed that Pat even enjoyed talking with him. Imagine that, 2 guys that like talking to each other.

agree from the little I heard. Better then Keith.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Better than Keith for sure, but as somebody in the other thread said, his voice sucks for radio.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I'll have to give him another try. I only listened for about 8 minutes or so but I never heard Ron
say a word, just Pat calling the game. I couldn't figure out if he was gone taking a leak or something.
I kept waiting for him to chirp in and Pat would leave pauses for him to jump in and say something
but he never did. It was weird.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
bigfan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

+ 1.

Only heard a few minutes but he sounded good. Certainly better than "Zonk".