It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:30 am 

good dolphin wrote:
B and B not only lost their time slot to their competition but lost listeners in comparison to their drive time/midday co workers for the better part of a decade.

They lost like 1 or 2 books. Don't revise history to make it seem like they fell behind for half a decade.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
No, MJH beat B&B more than one or two books. One or two years at the least. 670 wasn't winning in afternoons until Mac was there in middays.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:37 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
No, MJH beat B&B more than one or two books. One or two years at the least. 670 wasn't winning in afternoons until Mac was there in middays.

That was like 10 years ago. Live in the now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:34 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
B and B not only lost their time slot to their competition but lost listeners in comparison to their drive time/midday co workers for the better part of a decade.

They lost like 1 or 2 books. Don't revise history to make it seem like they fell behind for half a decade.

I'm almost certain you are incorrect but certainty would require effort.

Why did you concede 1-2 years of losses by B and B to MJH? It's possible you were correct.

The larger point is that the Score had a dominant share of the market pre MJH. ESPN, without exaggeration, was below a 1 share with listeners. B and B were made the headline on the Score marquee and it was during this time that ESPN flipped the numbers on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:41 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
denisdman wrote:
I never understood the 780 love. How could anyone listen to that station for more than 30 minutes? You get the traffic, weather, and a brief (very brief) news hit. Rinse, repeat.

I don't get traffic reports in general on the radio and certainly on TV. Who's watching TV traffic? By the time you get anywhere it's likely different anyway.

As far as the radio, the only time I turn on traffic is when I'm already in it and curious to know if something happened. They basically only give expressway times. Are people changing their entire expressway route based on a traffic report? Especially since they are usually wrong anyway.

If you need to take 294 south, you're going to take 294 south. Is somebody driving 25 minutes west to get on 355 south and then 25 minutes back east somewhere to get where they were needing to go in the first place?

It's a waste of time IMO.

The only redeeming thing about TV traffic is Marley Kayden. Radio traffic can go to hell.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
denisdman wrote:
I never understood the 780 love. How could anyone listen to that station for more than 30 minutes? You get the traffic, weather, and a brief (very brief) news hit. Rinse, repeat.

But that's the idea of the newsradio format, at least as pioneered by 1010 WINS and Westinghouse: you give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world. (I guess 780 used to be more longform but more or less inherited WMAQ's slave-to-the-clock format; I dunno, wasn't listening to AM newsradio in 1999.) It's designed for widespread short-term listening, which is kind of alien to us because sports talk is meant to be a niche format with a TSL through the roof.