It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Also I remember Bernstein's impression of the heavy breathing creepy guys who'd call Swieca's show.

Rest in Power, Wild Bill.

I remember Wild Bill winning Sports Jeopardy with the HFC. Was he also a heavy breathing caller to Swieca's show?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:57 am 

It takes a professional interviewer to get an hour of content out of a pastry chef at a retirement home.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:28 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Also I remember Bernstein's impression of the heavy breathing creepy guys who'd call Swieca's show.

I remember Wild Bill winning Sports Jeopardy with the HFC. Was he also a heavy breathing caller to Swieca's show?

He was a heavy breather in general. I think he had COPD. Seemed like a great guy. Bill Gleason once claimed that the Score paid him and a few other early Score regulars (Irish Bill, Cicero Bob, etc) to call in so the station could appear successful. I wonder if that was the case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Tall Midget wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

He was a heavy breather in general. I think he had COPD. Seemed like a great guy. Bill Gleason once claimed that the Score paid him and a few other early Score regulars (Irish Bill, Cicero Bob, etc) to call in so the station could appear successful. I wonder if that was the case.

I heard same about paid callers. I still think the one black caller Stan always at the same time to talk baseball with HFC was a producer or something for Dahl.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:04 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
pittmike wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

I heard same about paid callers. I still think the one black caller Stan always at the same time to talk baseball with HFC was a producer or something for Dahl.

I think you may be confusing Stan "Stan from Bellwood" Pickett with Stan Lawrence who contributed to Dahl's show and co-hosted that sex show with Seka.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

I think you may be confusing Stan "Stan from Bellwood" Pickett with Stan Lawrence who contributed to Dahl's show and co-hosted that sex show with Seka.

That’s him. I thought they were the same guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Tall Midget wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

I had never heard that about paid callers. Interesting.

I enjoyed the hell out of those Sports Jeopardy! segments on the HFC. "Who Can It Be Now?" was usually entertaining, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Tall Midget wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

I believe that's the same Wild Bill....he was a good caller.

the Julie interview was good. TM....your point is valid that she was a passable fill-in host and a decent reporter, but I'll add the caveat of "in that period". Sad thing is in today's world she might actually be one of the better hosts.

And yes....July would absolutely hate her :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Sorry, I thought there were some posts on here where Les went after Swieca pretty hard for her role in his misdeed. Maybe I misremembered.

That most definitely happened.

Les blamed her publicly and privately for years

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I thought the press pass story was that Les secretly used Julie's press pass to get his girlfriend into a game. The girlfriend ended up leaving her sweater behind, and the press box manager called Julie so the item could be returned to her. Julie then blew a gasket when she realized Les had misappropriated her credentials and subsequently reported Les to Score management, which resulted in Les' firing.

Les acted improperly in this incident, but Julie is a rat.

That got Grobstein bounced.

They're talking about the guy who said she quit because she didn't want to talk about the Cubs.

Who was the program director in 2004? Agase?

Agase was the GM.

Hayes was the PD in early 2004 and moved on to be replaced by Matt Fishman.

I think the"guy" may have been Jesse.

Harvey Wells was a salesman promoted past his abilities. You can find his picture under "Putz" in the dictionary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: New Mexico has no good pizza. Send help.
Tall Midget wrote:
Les' account of the Press Pass Incident eventually diverged rather significantly from the one several have shared here and elsewhere:

grobber33 wrote:
My,my what a lengthy thread! Guess I should be honored!
OK, here goes.....again. Below is a "reprint" of a post right here on CSFMB from a few years ago about the BS reason that Harvey Wells(the THEN GM of the Score) gave for running me out of there in August 2001:
-----------------------------------
There are 3 ways to answer this(for the 1000th time--or more!). The very long way which I'll have in my Book in the future,,,the medium length version,,,and the rather short one which I'll put here!

***There WAS NO Credential violation.. If there was,, Major League Baseball would not credential me for the World Series or Allstar Game and I have been at All since 2001 and will be again this year!! That was an excuse by Harvey Wells(the then GM) who just wanted me out of there.

***Wells never wanted me hired in the first place in 1997,but guys like North,Gleason and Ofman DID want me there and I was hired above his(Wells's) objections! He never wanted local overnight shows. He tried to find reasons to get me out of there several times in the interim,,,and once Gleason was gone in Mar 2001,,,Wells found his 'excuse' in July 2001. Ted Cox even called that reason 'a ruse' in his Daily Herald column.

***North said on the air several times that I was 'screwed'. Of course he now work's with Wells Wife.Nothing against her,she had nothing to do with this.

***That extra Credential was used for a legit reason to get Post Game tape from that 2001 AS Game from Maggs,Lieber and Sosa(the 3 Chi Players)since I had to do my overnight show about 20 miles from Safeco Field and did not have time to get tape). MLB approved THAT USE of that pass. Jeff Schwartz(acting PD) knew of that. He was helpless however and had to keep his mouth shut. Wells was going to get rid of me and nobody could stop that. He even did it while 'Pappy' was on Vacation!!

***This kind of stuff is NOT unusual in this business--it happens ALL THE TIME! You take the good with the bad. Why Wells didn't like me,I have no idea,,,I was always respectful towards him,,,only he knows.

Yes,,THIS IS THE SHORT VERSION,,,,just wait for the long one,,down the road,,,it's much jucier! As for that Reporter who's name was on the pass,,we are talking about someone who was NOT a team player,,who was selfish,,,and who is OUT OF THE BUSINESS. Someone I was always nice to,but who was nasty to most people. That's all I'm saying on that!!!

To use a favorite Dan MacNeil line,,,,,,'I APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING'!!!
---------------------------------------------
As for going back to either All Sports Station, the ball would be in THEIR courts, not mine. I know that the Score gets plenty of emails,letters,& calls etc from nice folks who have been supportive,but Mitch(whom I get along with just fine)has not spoken to me about anything along the lines of returning to their air waves. There is more to that than even I know!

What I'm currently doing consists of working Nationally for ABC Radio and AP Radio, the aforementioned ME-TV Sunday Program CPS Sports Review,and play by play in the summer of Chicago Sky games on WVON-AM 1690. I also run my own web site grobber.com which we update daily.

I do check this site out often and post when a subject calls for. I enjoy the hell out of this board!

you're the hero I needed today - good god I miss Les. Thanks for finding and re-sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
whatsamotta_u wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Les' account of the Press Pass Incident eventually diverged rather significantly from the one several have shared here and elsewhere:

grobber33 wrote:
My,my what a lengthy thread! Guess I should be honored!
OK, here goes.....again. Below is a "reprint" of a post right here on CSFMB from a few years ago about the BS reason that Harvey Wells(the THEN GM of the Score) gave for running me out of there in August 2001:
-----------------------------------
There are 3 ways to answer this(for the 1000th time--or more!). The very long way which I'll have in my Book in the future,,,the medium length version,,,and the rather short one which I'll put here!

***There WAS NO Credential violation.. If there was,, Major League Baseball would not credential me for the World Series or Allstar Game and I have been at All since 2001 and will be again this year!! That was an excuse by Harvey Wells(the then GM) who just wanted me out of there.

***Wells never wanted me hired in the first place in 1997,but guys like North,Gleason and Ofman DID want me there and I was hired above his(Wells's) objections! He never wanted local overnight shows. He tried to find reasons to get me out of there several times in the interim,,,and once Gleason was gone in Mar 2001,,,Wells found his 'excuse' in July 2001. Ted Cox even called that reason 'a ruse' in his Daily Herald column.

***North said on the air several times that I was 'screwed'. Of course he now work's with Wells Wife.Nothing against her,she had nothing to do with this.

***That extra Credential was used for a legit reason to get Post Game tape from that 2001 AS Game from Maggs,Lieber and Sosa(the 3 Chi Players)since I had to do my overnight show about 20 miles from Safeco Field and did not have time to get tape). MLB approved THAT USE of that pass. Jeff Schwartz(acting PD) knew of that. He was helpless however and had to keep his mouth shut. Wells was going to get rid of me and nobody could stop that. He even did it while 'Pappy' was on Vacation!!

***This kind of stuff is NOT unusual in this business--it happens ALL THE TIME! You take the good with the bad. Why Wells didn't like me,I have no idea,,,I was always respectful towards him,,,only he knows.

Yes,,THIS IS THE SHORT VERSION,,,,just wait for the long one,,down the road,,,it's much jucier! As for that Reporter who's name was on the pass,,we are talking about someone who was NOT a team player,,who was selfish,,,and who is OUT OF THE BUSINESS. Someone I was always nice to,but who was nasty to most people. That's all I'm saying on that!!!

To use a favorite Dan MacNeil line,,,,,,'I APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING'!!!
---------------------------------------------
As for going back to either All Sports Station, the ball would be in THEIR courts, not mine. I know that the Score gets plenty of emails,letters,& calls etc from nice folks who have been supportive,but Mitch(whom I get along with just fine)has not spoken to me about anything along the lines of returning to their air waves. There is more to that than even I know!

What I'm currently doing consists of working Nationally for ABC Radio and AP Radio, the aforementioned ME-TV Sunday Program CPS Sports Review,and play by play in the summer of Chicago Sky games on WVON-AM 1690. I also run my own web site grobber.com which we update daily.

I do check this site out often and post when a subject calls for. I enjoy the hell out of this board!

you're the hero I needed today - good god I miss Les. Thanks for finding and re-sharing

I liked Les....met him once at a Sox game and he was incredibly genuine and nice.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say something like that regarding Julie. She never came across that way at all.

I would imagine everything Les said about Harvey Wells is true, however, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Les tried sneaking a GF into the game with credential :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.