It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

So we have 5 Bears post game shows in this city? WGN, WBBM, ESPN 1000, THE SCORE and THE DRIVE.

Seeing as though they split the listeners and a lot of people are like me and watch the 2nd wave of games, do they really make that much money?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
BBM's doesn't really count. it's only like 20 minutes long.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:52 pm 

agreed on the pre game as well.

One hour pre game is a chip shot for him. He will do his betting thing (which was really entertaining back in the day). He will give you some obvious keys to the game. Fade to Bear Down and mike can go get a sandwich and watch the game. Then he comes back and talks about it for 3 hours. 4 hour shift.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:53 pm 

Beardown wrote:
So we have 5 Bears post game shows in this city? WGN, WBBM, ESPN 1000, THE SCORE and THE DRIVE.

Seeing as though they split the listeners and a lot of people are like me and watch the 2nd wave of games, do they really make that much money?

I promise you BBM is making a killing from it.

The other one's are making more money by doing post game than they would normally on a sunday afternoon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:57 pm 

The industry has tried to kill North dozens of times but he refuses to die.

This could really be something that revitalizes his Chicago career. The Score is going to be looking for nostalgia once Terry moves on to watching horses fuck starting in February.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Beardown wrote:

Plus this will be the worst Bears team in years as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:01 pm 

I expect to see a release from Be Be Talent Representatives, Inc. saying that it negotiated this contract.

I assume North shopped this to the Score first. That's a really stupid move by Mitch to take Kruetz over North. Hub and North might have made a nice team.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:03 pm 

This seems like the kind of low end radio that Silky D specializes in so expect to see Mc Kinnon and North, maybe with guest host Kenny Mc Reynolds

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

The other one's are making more money by doing post game than they would normally on a sunday afternoon

I agree. WBBM makes the most cuz people stay with it after the game. And they have everything sponsored. I listen to them after the night games because Zack has the quickest access for the player interviews.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Always like "Pappy" he has made the rest of the goofballs a ton of money and is treated like shit by them

Yup. Without North there is no WSCR 820, 1160, 670.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

BBM lost money doing Bears games last year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
If DaMaNa doesn't show, Coppock will show up eventually. Maybe not every week, maybe not all show. But maybe for one telephone segment in the second hour.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
“I’m sort of like almost like Trump in this equation now. The loudmouth is coming in."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:23 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
They need to get Paul Edinger to cohost.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:24 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

really? Why would they want it if it loses money. Does it really bring more people to BBM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

really? Why would they want it if it loses money. Does it really bring more people to BBM

They want the Bears to be better so they can make money.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
WindyCityBreeze wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I hope it's not Mongo McMichael. Too much stupidity in one broadcast.

Steve McMichael is on the ESPN1000 Bears postgame show.
Thanks for the update. Now I know which station to avoid. :drunken:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:57 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
WindyCityBreeze wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I hope it's not Mongo McMichael. Too much stupidity in one broadcast.

Steve McMichael is on the ESPN1000 Bears postgame show.
Thanks for the update. Now I know which station to avoid. :drunken:

Champagne Room...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:58 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
That's BS. There was a growing market for Sportstalk radio throughout the country and the Score filled it locally. Timing was perfect and it would have succeeded regardless. North did help gain them publicity and perhaps sped up the process but his value in the big picture is over-rated.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac doesn't like sports anymore. He's a rocker!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:06 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
That's BS. There was a growing market for Sportstalk radio throughout the country and the Score filled it locally. Timing was perfect and it would have succeeded regardless. North did help gain them publicity and perhaps sped up the process but his value in the big picture is over-rated.

not true

The guy reconfigured sports talk in this city.

The Score was poised to follow in the Coppock mold of being the mouthpiece for management. Terry, Shaer, Hanley etc. were all happy to be continue the paradigm of being the all knowing high priests who were received word from on high and delivered it to the ignorant masses. North flipped it and suddenly talk radio was the means for the fans perspective to get to the teams. Mac was quick to follow this lead and boom THE VOICE OF THE FAN was born.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:10 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

North knew Dan Lee and Seth Mason becore they started The Score...and North was the guy who convinced them to start an all sports radio station, which he had been telling them for a year or so.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

The Score as a populist voice wouldn't have happened without North, Mac, and Murph, but North was the one who harangued the old XRT executives into giving him a job. The Score was envisioned as a much more strait-laced outlet. Bruce Wolf was going to be as left of center as they got.

EDIT: haha, looks we all told Zippy what's what within like ten minutes.

EDIT2: Wasn't 820 always intended to be sports, though? I know there was talk early on about it being a jazz station (WXRJ?), but how would anyone listen to jazz on AM?

Last edited by Curious Hair on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:17 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

not true

The Score was poised to follow in the Coppock mold of being the mouthpiece for management. Terry, Shaer, Hanley etc. were all happy to be continue the paradigm of being the all knowing high priests who were received word from on high and delivered it to the ignorant masses. North flipped it and suddenly talk radio was the means for the fans perspective to get to the teams. Mac was quick to follow this lead and boom THE VOICE OF THE FAN was born.
I new you'd chime in with this thought...you're very consistent. I respectfully disagree with your recollection of how things went down however. I listened from day 1 pretty much from when they went on the air to til the sunset shutdown (During the week only. I rarely tuned in on weekends). The Score was the voice of the fan from day 1, regardless of your perception of the hosts. The shows back then were heavily reliant on input from callers. They drove the shows and topics. North did bring a different perspective to the table which was valuable and often entertaining - but he represented the meatball fan, not all fans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:18 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

North knew Dan Lee and Seth Mason becore they started The Score...and North was the guy who convinced them to start an all sports radio station, which he had been telling them for a year or so.
That's how North got a job on the station - not the reason why one was created.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
It was the voice of the fan from day one because they hired Mike North. Harvey Wells originally wanted Bruce Wolf and Chet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:21 pm 

Also, Chet was asked to join The Score, but he didnt feel comfortable and wasnt convinced that an all sports radio station could be successful. Woops.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:23 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It was the voice of the fan from day one because they hired Mike North. Harvey Wells originally wanted Bruce Wolf and Chet.
Simply not true. I'm not saying they didn't want to hire those guys but it was always going to be caller based. North was not the reason for that decision. In fact, I believe that Coppock made it known that he wouldn't host a caller driven show...which pretty much eliminated him from consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
He's going to whipe the floor with the Scores post game. I'm in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:24 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

not true

I new you'd chime in with this thought...you're very consistent. I respectfully disagree with your recollection of how things went down however. I listened from day 1 pretty much from when they went on the air to til the sunset shutdown (During the week only. I rarely tuned in on weekends). The Score was the voice of the fan from day 1, regardless of your perception of the hosts. The shows back then were heavily reliant on input from callers. They drove the shows and topics. North did bring a different perspective to the table which was valuable and often entertaining - but he represented the meatball fan, not all fans.

I don't think you meant this as a put down so I won't take it that way. We've discussed this before and I'm consistent in my opinion because I fully believe it to be true.

Mac will tell you that at the beginning it was Terry's advice that he not follow North and keep his distance from the fans. Take North out of the equation and you have Shaer, Wolf + Jiggs, Terry + Mac with Murph and his five pound bag. Murph would have been the outlier in that group. Sure they would have taken calls but they would have had a completely different posture towards fans.

Last edited by good dolphin on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next