It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:31 am 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-women-sports-radio-spt-0621-20160620-story.html
Cannot say I blame program directors programming towards their audience.

When your audience is 90% male how can you avoid that knowledge and go against it? It seems similar to complaining about an urban music station where the majority of the audience are young minorities that there are no old white guys hosting. Eddie and JoBo excluded lol. Which noone cares about because old white guys do not listen to those stations.

Sports and sports radio has always been male dominated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:36 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Someone who bumbles their way through little updates wonders why she doesn't have a bigger gig.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Julie pay Shannon Ryan to keep her name out there? She hasn't had to stay home from work in a while so she needs something to keep her in the headlines .

http://trib.in/28LDnM8

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:12 am 

WL Bill wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-women-sports-radio-spt-0621-20160620-story.html
Cannot say I blame program directors programming towards their audience.

When your audience is 90% male how can you avoid that knowledge and go against it? It seems similar to complaining about an urban music station where the majority of the audience are young minorities that there are no old white guys hosting. Eddie and JoBo excluded lol. Which noone cares about because old white guys do not listen to those stations.

Sports and sports radio has always been male dominated.

Not that I expected it to be said in that article but does Julie really think she was hired based on her ability and not her gender and Bernstein muffler ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
badrogue17 wrote:
Julie pay Shannon Ryan to keep her name out there? She hasn't had to stay home from work in a while so she needs something to keep her in the headlines .

Yeah, no kidding. Nice misleading title, too. That article wasn't about women, it was about Julie DiCaro.

...and don't forget to mention all the mean tweets I get!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:03 am 

This is just dumb. She has no formal training and a very poor resume to be deserving of a spot as a radio host. If she had went to journalism school and worked her way up then maybe. From what I can tell, she one day "decided" she didn't want to be a lawyer and instead wanted to be a sports talk person and she's been handed a bunch of undeserved jobs in radio over many other people both male and female that actually have worked their way towards it.

Add in the fact that her brand seems to be openly and stubbornly antagonistic to pretty much everyone who listens to The Score and she is lucky she even has her job.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:06 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is just dumb. She has no formal training and a very poor resume to be deserving of a spot as a radio host. If she had went to journalism school and worked her way up then maybe. From what I can tell, she one day "decided" she didn't want to be a lawyer and instead wanted to be a sports talk person and she's been handed a bunch of undeserved jobs in radio over many other people both male and female that actually have worked their way towards it.

Add in the fact that her brand seems to be openly and stubbornly antagonistic to pretty much everyone who listens to The Score and she is lucky she even has her job.

Fuckin' A . Well said Rick. She seems to be blissfully unaware of all this .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:13 am 

"15 years as a criminal and family court lawyer"

Reporting isn't just accepting every statement uttered in an interview as objectively true. Her own public resume indicates about half that number of years were spent as a lawyer. A very little bit of digging is likely to reveal even less substantive experience. It's also important to note that her very shallow experience in criminal law was all spent on the side of defense....but she is an expert.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:15 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
What is a contact reporter?

I'd fire her for going public on my company to shame me into a promotion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Tad Queasy wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Yeah, no kidding. Nice misleading title, too. That article wasn't about women, it was about Julie DiCaro.

I stopped reading after the lie in the first line- "unwittingly and unwillingly". And anyone who talks about "internet trolls" to the degree that she does sounds like a silly fucking teenager.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Do women ever complain that there aren't enough female laborers or garbage collectors?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Okay, I read the whole Ryan piece. There's a lot of wrong shit in there. Nobody was angry because she was reporting on Kane. People were angry about the way she reported on it. And if she can't see what she did was wrong, she's just fucking delusional.

Also, her kid that is frightened by the shooter drill is a teenager? I thought he was five or six.

Finally, Sir Larry saying some really stupid shit. As usual. SHAKE THAT!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:34 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Finally, Sir Larry saying some really stupid shit. As usual. SHAKE THAT!

Wasn't that Amy Lawrence?

I wish they'd gotten some wisdom from Sir. He'd set us all straight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Okay, I read the whole Ryan piece. There's a lot of wrong shit in there. Nobody was angry because she was reporting on Kane. People were angry about the way she reported on it. And if she can't see what she did was wrong, she's just fucking delusional.
It was ok to think Kane probably did something bad that night. Kane has created his own reputation.

The problem is that she doubled down when the mom destroyed all credibility in the case. That was when it was time to move on.

Unfortunately for her, it seemed like she thought this was going to be what elevated her to a national level. Now, her plan seems to be the example of a woman being unfairly treated in the world of sports.

The most ironic part of this will be when The Score replaces her eventually and she sues them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:36 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I stopped reading after the lie in the first line- "unwittingly and unwillingly". And anyone who talks about "internet trolls" to the degree that she does sounds like a silly fucking teenager.

I thought this was a dandy. Look at hero Julie "responding and engaging " to criticism. By doing what? Making a video? Trying to get people fired? Crying about all the criticism she gets? Making everything about her gender first and foremost . GTFO with this shit.

She has since become a lightning rod among some of her Twitter followers and listeners of The Score. DiCaro often riles followers by responding to the criticism and trolling.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It was ok to think Kane probably did something bad that night. Kane has created his own reputation.

I think that's right as far as the public is concerned. It's fine for you and me and DiCaro when she's at home to have that opinion and express it. But if someone is actually "reporting" on the story, it shouldn't be colored by such opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:40 am 

It really should be questioned how an update person can become a lightning rod for critics at the station.

You cannot name another update person in the 25 year history of the station who was a lightning rod. There have been males and females who have held that job.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:shock:

I think she's terrible, but I'd be interested to know how many hosts actually have a journalism degree. Communications I can see, but an actual journalism degree? Old scribes like Boers and Rozner got theirs from NIU, but nowadays, I think a Communications degree is more apt for a sports talk radio host.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:43 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
It really should be questioned how an update person can become a lightning rod for critics at the station.

You cannot name another update person in the 25 year history of the station who was a lightning rod.

I think Icegirl might disagree. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I took a lot of crap from Shakes for saying that.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You cannot name another update person in the 25 year history of the station who was a lightning rod.

I think Icegirl might disagree. :lol:

Oh Drinky has a lightning rod in his pants....Icegirl, do tell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:47 am 

OK. I just saw the 2nd article.

Did she get her own pull-out section in the paper today?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:48 am 

:lol: Well, Julie actually claims to have a Journalism/French/Psychology major.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:59 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
:lol: Well, Julie actually claims to have a Journalism/French/Psychology major.

and played soccer, gymnastics and volleyball through high school while playing at least one of those through college

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:00 am 

This circular aspects of the Julie DiCaro story are very simplistic. It's the same people, talking to the same people, about the same things. Wash, rinse, repeat. Over and over and over. Other than talking about herself and how hard it is for her, what else of significance has she "reported." Shannon Ryan to DiCaro, DiCaro over to Sarah, Sarah to someone else in the coterie, Ryan to that person who then goes back to DiCaro. The coup to the latest story is getting Peggy Koszinski to give a few quotes without allowing her to further expound.

Ironically, by mentioning Peggy they undermine the whole premise of their argument. Peggy is not the most telegenic woman, who has made her mark in the Chicago market for her TV sports coverage. I've met the woman, like her (a lot), and respect what she has to say. In 2000 she moved from radio to TV?
I didn't remember, my how time flies. Does Shannon/Julie talk about the barriers that Peggy faced (like radio personalities commenting on her appearance on a daily basis)? Do they recognize her tenure? Career track? Or professionalism?

The problem for this now clichéd argument of thier's is that they believe that because they are a woman, they should be accepted at point blank. Peggy has covered broad topics with great aplomb. She is respected and accepted. Why? Because she has put in the work! Just like the many, many women in sports that I follow on Twitter, both acknowledged in their field and those who (not unlike Julie) want to break into the field.

Mitch Rosen will always get a pat-on-the-back from Julie's cadre because he hired her. His statement of being open to anyone with passion rings faint when one consider's that the FOTS only gets passionate about things not about sports (his partner repeatedly proclaiming to not watching sports is self-explanatory). Larry Holmes is probably the best example of someone with a modicum of talent and a passion for sports, and yet he isn't well recepted by many on this board. Why? Well why should he be?

Julie is approaching her one year mark in breaking onto the WSCR scene. In that time aside from talking about her Twitter escapades, what else of note would she or could she point to with any sense of accomplishment?

Oh, poor Julie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:08 am 

So you're not a fan of making a contrived, pandering video, of the exploits of Alberto Almora Jr or some random pitcher with a 350 ERA I take it ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
Exactly what exactly has Julie done to deserve time on Air?

The Score for all its bad is pretty diverse considering there is a total of how many hosts daily? 8?

Most of the hosts worked their way up from producer/update, to reporter, and than finally get a shot at the big show. The rest have been reporters in town for 20+ years. She stumbles through updates why do I want to hear her speak about sports.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
slow news day... really slow

Quote:
"I'm a radio geek," Score host Laurence Holmes said. "I like sound. I think she has a really terrific sound. She's multilayered. She has a lot of different facets to her. ... I don't like that (radio is mostly) a boys club."
From the guy who always sounds creepy when women broadcasters join his show.

I can't stand her because she comes off as a retard on twitter... and she has terrible sports thoughts... the one time i heard her on a weekend - her bulls thought was they need to be relevant until baseball starts, thanks Julie cant wait for you to get a full time gig.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:16 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

@JulieDiCaro: Just to clarify, when I said sports radio is last bastion of the frat boy, I meant the industry, not my station. Just want to be clear.

Of course that's what you meant. You meant every other station that you aren't familiar with - not the one you experience everyday.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:17 am 

@JulieDiCaro: Just to clarify, when I said sports radio is last bastion of the frat boy, I meant the industry, not my station. Just want to be clear.

Of course that's what you meant. You meant every other station that you aren't familiar with - not the one you experience everyday.
:lol: