It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First and Last
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Has anyone listened to this show? I've eeard Mike Golic Jr. before and thought he sounded pretty natural on the air, but Robin Lundberg always sounds like he's very nervous and is talking too fast...like he's trying to explain why he's not guilty of something when he knows damn well that he is.

I haven't heard much of this show, but I think the obvious joke is that it's called First and Last because the first time you listen will likely be the last time you listen.

If Mike Golic has ever complained about nepotism at any point, his kid working for the station and getting a show in short order would be a massive "Who Ya' Crappin'?"

Post subject: Re: First and Last
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
I doubt he ever complained about nepotism considering he and his kid went to Notre Dame for no other reason than how great a football player big bro Bob was.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I doubt he ever complained about nepotism considering he and his kid went to Notre Dame for no other reason than how great a football player big bro Bob was.

I thought Mike was a pretty good player who played in the NFL for several years, but I have no memory of his career.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tad Queasy wrote:
Has anyone listened to this show? I've eeard Mike Golic Jr. before and thought he sounded pretty natural on the air, but Robin Lundberg always sounds like he's very nervous and is talking too fast...like he's trying to explain why he's not guilty of something when he knows damn well that he is.

I haven't heard much of this show, but I think the obvious joke is that it's called First and Last because the first time you listen will likely be the last time you listen.

If Mike Golic has ever complained about nepotism at any point, his kid working for the station and getting a show in short order would be a massive "Who Ya' Crappin'?"

I listen periodically and agree , Golic is a lot better than I expected but that other dude is a mess

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I thought Mike was a pretty good player who played in the NFL for several years, but I have no memory of his career.

Not as good as Bob and probably not a guy ND would have been interested in without the connection.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:44 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Not as good as Bob and probably not a guy ND would have been interested in without the connection.
Mike Golic Jr. would have had no shot at Notre Dame without "nepotism" either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I think Mike Sr. is pretty up front about the nepotism.

It's like when old man Daley was asked at a press conference in the mid-60s about giving the city's insurance business to his brother in law. My mom says his response was along the lines of "How else can I be sure it'll be done right? If my brother in law fucks it up, I can yell at him until he does it right..."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
badrogue17 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I listen periodically and agree , Golic is a lot better than I expected but that other dude is a mess

I was surprised how relaxed Jr. sounded right out of the gate when I heard him fill in a few times on Mike and Mike. If anyone is going to benefit from their dad being a big shot at the station, at least it's someone with talent. Lundberg sounds like Tom Negovan looks -- like he's on the verge of tears.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Mike Golic Jr. would have had no shot at Notre Dame without "nepotism" either.

Junior started for ND.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:14 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Junior started for ND.
For his fifth year after barely playing for the four years total.

At best he was a major project who turned into a decent player after 5 years. Not exactly the model most Notre Dame players follow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:16 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Junior started for ND.
For his fifth year after barely playing for the four years total.

At best he was a major project who turned into a decent player after 5 years. Not exactly the model most Notre Dame players follow.

A guy like Duerson's kid is what I'd call nepotism. Maybe you could say that about Collinsworth's kid (although I wouldn't). I wouldn't call a guy who had the ability to start at ND at any time a nepotism hire. Heck, there are only a certain amount of bodies that graduate each year that fit the physical dimensions of a Division I recruit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:21 pm 

Based on his rankings out of high school he would not have been at Notre Dame if his last name wasn't Golic.

He spent four years working out and sitting the bench and he was able to become a halfway decent starter 5 years later. That just isn't how Notre Dame really operates. Most players like that who aren't going to play until their 5th year get chased off. They very rarely even let a player redshirt there outside of serious injury.

Here was the recruiting rankings.
https://notredame.n.rivals.com/commitments/football/2009
Three two star players. One of them was a kicker who are pretty much always 2 star players. The other was a long snapper which has the same general idea.

He was by far the worst recruit in that class by a significant margin.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Based on his rankings out of high school he would not have been at Notre Dame if his last name wasn't Golic.

He spent four years working out and sitting the bench and he was able to become a halfway decent starter 5 years later. That just isn't how Notre Dame really operates. Most players like that who aren't going to play until their 5th year get chased off. They very rarely even let a player redshirt there outside of serious injury.

Three two star players. One of them was a kicker who are pretty much always 2 star players. The other was a long snapper which has the same general idea.

I don't want to labor through this argument but Tyler Eifert looks fairly comparable.

Also the validity of stars and numerical grades is called into question when you look at the wide differentiation between the two metrics for the same player. Stars seemed to know Zack Martin was going to be a pro while numerical would have put him close to Golic as a nepotism hire (his brother was ND).

Last edited by good dolphin on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:52 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I don't want to labor through this argument but Tyler Eifert looks fairly comparable.
Actually, that was Jake Golic that was the true nepotism.

Mike Golic would be a recruit that possibly gets a late offer from Notre Dame otherwise. To be honest, he would otherwise have been more of a Purdue-type recruit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Tad Queasy wrote:
but Robin Lundberg always sounds like he's very nervous and is talking too fast...like he's trying to explain why he's not guilty of something when he knows damn well that he is.

:lol: That's a perfect description.

Quote:

:lol:

-Hank Kingsley