It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Julie Swieca Interview
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Punky's
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I interviewed Julie Swieca earlier this week and she gave some additional insight on leaving the Score back in 2004. I figured this forum might enjoy the conversation.

https://fromthe108.com/2024/06/10/au-ju ... ia-legend/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
This is a pretty good interview.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:24 am 

Enjoyed that. Thanks for posting. I always liked her back in the day.

Who was the guy she referenced that threw her under the bus to try and further his career when she left the score?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:37 am 

RFDC wrote:
Who was the guy she referenced that threw her under the bus to try and further his career when she left the score?

Grobber?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Goff

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Goff

Is this a joke or is there Goff lore I'm forgetting? I know Les pinned the whole press pass thing on her, but given how he was unemployed, I don't think it furthered his career.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:53 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Goff

Is this a joke or is there Goff lore I'm forgetting? I know Les pinned the whole press pass thing on her, but given how he was unemployed, I don't think it furthered his career.

I just like blaming stuff on Goff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:01 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I thought the press pass story was that Les secretly used Julie's press pass to get his girlfriend into a game. The girlfriend ended up leaving her sweater behind, and the press box manager called Julie so the item could be returned to her. Julie then blew a gasket when she realized Les had misappropriated her credentials and subsequently reported Les to Score management, which resulted in Les' firing.

Les acted improperly in this incident, but Julie is a rat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Chess King
Julie was good. Its too bad she couldn't survive there. Had decent sports knowledge and was cool to callers. That was fun to listen to

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
I thought the press pass story was that Les secretly used Julie's press pass to get his girlfriend into a game. The girlfriend ended up leaving her sweater behind, and the press box manager called Julie so the item could be returned to her. Julie then blew a gasket when she realized Les had misappropriated her credentials and subsequently reported Les to Score management, which resulted in Les' firing.

That got Grobstein bounced.

They're talking about the guy who said she quit because she didn't want to talk about the Cubs.

Who was the program director in 2004? Agase?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:29 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

That got Grobstein bounced.

They're talking about the guy who said she quit because she didn't want to talk about the Cubs.

Who was the program director in 2004? Agase?

I understand the discussion. I was responding to CH's assertion that Les "pinned" his firing on Sweica. As I recall, the version of the story that I recounted has been verified by a few sources. So I don't think it's quite right to say that Les "pinned" anything on her since that makes him seem like a bit of a weasel. What actually happened is that Julie ratted Les out and got him fired.

Was Agase ever the program director? I thought he was a VP or something like that. Maybe Drew Hayes was the PD around that time?

Last edited by Tall Midget on Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Sweica Melika wrote:
Julie was good. Its too bad she couldn't survive there. Had decent sports knowledge and was cool to callers. That was fun to listen to

JDC would have hated her.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:37 am 
1000 CLUB

Sweica was a passable fill-in host. While her thoughts were pedestrian at best, she was at least capable of formulating coherent, largely reality-based statements.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:44 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
I understand the discussion. I was responding to CH's assertion that Les "pinned" his firing on Swieca. As I recall, the version of the story that I recounted has been verified by a few sources. So I don't think it's quite right to say that Les "pinned" anything on her. What actually happened is that Julie ratted Les out and got him fired.

Was Agase ever the program director? I thought he was a VP or something like that. Maybe Drew Hayes was the PD around that time?

Sorry, I thought there were some posts on here where Les went after Swieca pretty hard for her role in his misdeed. Maybe I misremembered.

I don't think Agase was ever a programming guy. GM, maybe. Was Drew Hayes the PD directly before Mitch?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:47 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Sorry, I thought there were some posts on here where Les went after Swieca pretty hard for her role in his misdeed. Maybe I misremembered.

That most definitely happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:49 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Sweica was a passable fill-in host. While her thoughts were pedestrian at best, she was at least capable of formulating coherent, largely reality-based statements.

She was a good reporter and I thought she was excellent on the Sunday morning baseball show.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:19 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

She was a good reporter and I thought she was excellent on the Sunday morning baseball show.

She was a faithful stenographer to power and was certainly Les(s) annoying than Ofman or Spiegel as far as baseball hosts go....but I wouldn't go so far to say that she was excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:23 am 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I understand the discussion. I was responding to CH's assertion that Les "pinned" his firing on Swieca. As I recall, the version of the story that I recounted has been verified by a few sources. So I don't think it's quite right to say that Les "pinned" anything on her. What actually happened is that Julie ratted Les out and got him fired.

I don't think Agase was ever a programming guy. GM, maybe. Was Drew Hayes the PD directly before Mitch?

As I recall, Les did post about the incident, but he did so in somewhat veiled terms, probably to conceal his own lack of judgment in the matter.

I actually PMed and emailed him about the whole thing, and he ended up telling me that he understood why Julie was upset and didn't bear any ill will towards her.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

As I recall, Les did post about the incident, but he did so in somewhat veiled terms, probably to conceal his own lack of judgment in the matter.

I actually PMed and emailed him about the whole thing, and he ended up telling me that he understood why Julie was upset and didn't bear any ill will towards her.

Seems insane.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:43 am 

Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Seems insane.

Grobber wrote:
The whole thing? Well jeez, it’s a long story, but the whole thing was actually two things and it’s starts with the first thing. Maybe the third thing was first but let’s not get into that all right now cuz that’s a horse for another ballgame.

Anyway, so as I was explaining, the uh…so the thing that got everything in motion - and this is the most important part…it’s kind of like Rudy Law on the ‘83 White Sox. Everybody remembers the big names: Harry Baines, Greg Louganis, Fisk…not a lot of people talk about Rudy Law. And I asked him one time, I said Rudy Law, you’re the lead off guy, you get this offense started, why is nobody talking about you? And he, and I mean, oh boy, anyway, great team.

Does that help answer your question?

Thank you for your call.

Last edited by This Ends in Antioch on Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:45 am 
1000 CLUB

Les' account of the Press Pass Incident eventually diverged rather significantly from the one several have shared here and elsewhere:

grobber33 wrote:
My,my what a lengthy thread! Guess I should be honored!
OK, here goes.....again. Below is a "reprint" of a post right here on CSFMB from a few years ago about the BS reason that Harvey Wells(the THEN GM of the Score) gave for running me out of there in August 2001:
-----------------------------------
There are 3 ways to answer this(for the 1000th time--or more!). The very long way which I'll have in my Book in the future,,,the medium length version,,,and the rather short one which I'll put here!

***There WAS NO Credential violation.. If there was,, Major League Baseball would not credential me for the World Series or Allstar Game and I have been at All since 2001 and will be again this year!! That was an excuse by Harvey Wells(the then GM) who just wanted me out of there.

***Wells never wanted me hired in the first place in 1997,but guys like North,Gleason and Ofman DID want me there and I was hired above his(Wells's) objections! He never wanted local overnight shows. He tried to find reasons to get me out of there several times in the interim,,,and once Gleason was gone in Mar 2001,,,Wells found his 'excuse' in July 2001. Ted Cox even called that reason 'a ruse' in his Daily Herald column.

***North said on the air several times that I was 'screwed'. Of course he now work's with Wells Wife.Nothing against her,she had nothing to do with this.

***That extra Credential was used for a legit reason to get Post Game tape from that 2001 AS Game from Maggs,Lieber and Sosa(the 3 Chi Players)since I had to do my overnight show about 20 miles from Safeco Field and did not have time to get tape). MLB approved THAT USE of that pass. Jeff Schwartz(acting PD) knew of that. He was helpless however and had to keep his mouth shut. Wells was going to get rid of me and nobody could stop that. He even did it while 'Pappy' was on Vacation!!

***This kind of stuff is NOT unusual in this business--it happens ALL THE TIME! You take the good with the bad. Why Wells didn't like me,I have no idea,,,I was always respectful towards him,,,only he knows.

Yes,,THIS IS THE SHORT VERSION,,,,just wait for the long one,,down the road,,,it's much jucier! As for that Reporter who's name was on the pass,,we are talking about someone who was NOT a team player,,who was selfish,,,and who is OUT OF THE BUSINESS. Someone I was always nice to,but who was nasty to most people. That's all I'm saying on that!!!

To use a favorite Dan MacNeil line,,,,,,'I APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING'!!!
---------------------------------------------
As for going back to either All Sports Station, the ball would be in THEIR courts, not mine. I know that the Score gets plenty of emails,letters,& calls etc from nice folks who have been supportive,but Mitch(whom I get along with just fine)has not spoken to me about anything along the lines of returning to their air waves. There is more to that than even I know!

What I'm currently doing consists of working Nationally for ABC Radio and AP Radio, the aforementioned ME-TV Sunday Program CPS Sports Review,and play by play in the summer of Chicago Sky games on WVON-AM 1690. I also run my own web site grobber.com which we update daily.

I do check this site out often and post when a subject calls for. I enjoy the hell out of this board!

Last edited by Tall Midget on Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:54 am 
1000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Seems insane.

:lol:

It kinda does, but I had a soft spot in my heart for Les. I spent a lot of long nights listening to his shows when I was getting started at my job and working crazy hours to meet a bunch of deadlines. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I identified with the weirdos and outcasts who called into his show. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:

That makes her Richard Feynman at the Score.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:12 pm 

I miss the Grobber :(

And yes JDC would hate Swieca and that makes her even better!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:33 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Les' account of the Press Pass Incident eventually diverged rather significantly from the one several have shared here and elsewhere:

What are the board's thoughts, if any, on Harvey Wells?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:41 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

his wife breast fed their child to an uncomfortably old age

I didn't listen yet but didn't Swieca go nuts at the end?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:19 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Grobber?

I think it was Jesse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:43 am 

pizza_Place: State Line
Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

He green lighted the Mike North Morning Show with his awful wife in a key role talking about how she was still breast feeding her son at like age 9. Enough said. It fits that he would have wanted to run One on One Sports or whatever overnight instead of Les.

Also I remember Bernstein's impression of the heavy breathing creepy guys who'd call Swieca's show.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:46 am 
Site Admin

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Also I remember Bernstein's impression of the heavy breathing creepy guys who'd call Swieca's show.

Rest in Power, Wild Bill.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:23 am 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

He green lighted the Mike North Morning Show with his awful wife in a key role talking about how she was still breast feeding her son at like age 9. Enough said. It fits that he would have wanted to run One on One Sports or whatever overnight instead of Les.

I ask because I stumbled upon his facebook page a while back and saw that he had fashioned a retirement gig out of helping people get their cable bills down. It just seemed like such a never-stop-hustling move to me, so I was wondering if he was a case of a good sales guy with absolutely terrible programming instincts (the North show, early 2000s Score in general).