It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I didn't know about this. I wonder who's place he is taking?

Fox 32 has named Jeff Herndon as co-anchor of its 9 p.m. weekday newscast beginning Oct. 1, the station announced Monday.

Herndon comes to the station from KAKE-TV in Wichita, Kan., and replaces Bob Sirott, who announced last month he would be heading to WGN-AM 720 to host a daily radio show.

"Jeff is an outstanding communicator and journalist with a proven track record of excellence," Tom Doerr, WFLD-Ch.32's vice president and news director said in statement. "He is a leader and sough-after journalist, and we are excited to welcome him to this role at Fox 32."

A graduate of Wichita State University with a degree in broadcast journalism, Herndon has been a co-anchor at KAKE for 12 years. Before that was weekend sports anchor for KTKA-TV in Topeka, and a sports photographer/reporter at KAKE-TV.

Herndon will fill the nightly anchor chair at Fox 32 next to Robin Robinson and contribute reports to various newscasts throughout the week, according to the station.

"I'm looking forward to joining a talented team of journalists at Fox 32," Herndon said in a statement. "The opportunity to join a newsroom focused on making a difference in the Chicago community made this an easy decision."

Sirott's last day at Fox 32 will be Sep. 5, ending his three-year run as co-anchor of the 9 p.m. news. A longtime Chicago radio and TV veteran, he will be hosting a weekday radio show on WGN with his wife, Marianne Murciano, in a timeslot yet to be announced.

"Bob is a talented journalist who has brought dedication and passion to the station every day," Dennis Welsh, vice president and general manager of Fox 32, said in a statement. "We want to thank him for his tremendous contributions; he will always be a member of the Fox 32 family."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Obviously McConnell is out, but husband-and-wife radio seems pretty podunk, even for WGN.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:36 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Obviously McConnell is out, but husband-and-wife radio seems pretty podunk, even for WGN.

Quote:
Steve & Johnnie said: Blow us!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Agree. Husband and wife talk shows can't work. I've never heard one. But it simply goes without saying that it can't work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:42 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:
Steve & Johnnie said: Blow us!

Yeah, but Steve King is at least a fairly interesting guy. How many times has Sirott done the "anyone else remember the Old Chicago theme park" show?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:45 pm 

I met him backstage at a Chicago concert. He seemed like a pompous ass back then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
If the couple really, palpably disliked each other, and maybe had a long and storied history of domestic dispute calls to their house I might listen. And wait.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Doesn't the playing of Steve and Johnnie's theme song comprise roughly 65% of their show?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Doesn't the playing of Steve and Johnnie's theme song comprise roughly 65% of their show?

Close. 75%.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:22 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:

It seemed like every time I left WGN on after a late Hawks/Cubs game, it was Website Wednesday, which had its own long theme song. Even when it was neither a Tuesday nor a Wednesday!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:30 pm 

Hahaha, Mike McConnell got demoted to hosting his show on the internet only. He got Miltoned.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:08 am 

Could radio possibly pay more than TV? Why would anyone make that move unless there was an agreement that they would be moving you into a position at Ch. 9 as well?

I can name almost none of the news anchors in this town.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Sirott did one of those supposed thought-provoking pieces at the end of a newscast not too long ago about the dedicated bicycle lanes on the city. He thought they were a terrible idea because no one uses them during the cold-weather months.

Dumbass.

-Hank Kingsley