It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Olberman
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

His new show on ESPN 2. 10 pm weeknights. They run it again at 11.

What do you guys think of it?

It's different. I caught one last week where he was talking about some old New York Giant from the early 80s that died from a brain tumor shortly after he retired. Never heard of him. But Olberman covered him back in the day and tied his story into the concussion settlement with the NFL. It was interesting.

He starts the show by getting right into a subject. Then he does the typical TV show intro like 15 minutes in.

Post subject: Re: Olberman
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
1990's ESPN Sportcenter anchor rankings:

1. Kenny Mayne
3. Suzy Kolber
2. Craig Kilbourn
4. Robin Roberts
6. Chris Myers
5. Dan Patrick

Honorable Mention: Keith Olberman.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:39 pm 

NearWessSideHussra wrote:
2. Craig Kilbourn

I never knew he was an ESPN host at one point. I just thought he was a bad late night host.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:54 pm 

Kilbourn was the original daily show host and he provided Stephen Colbert with the model for his Colbert Report. Kilbourn's CBS late, late show was meant to be a bit--Kilbourn playing the egomaniacal, narcissistic late night host was a character, a combination of Larry Sanders, David Brent from the British Office and Hugh Hefner from Playboy after Dark. Similar to what Anthony Jeselnik does in his stand-up or how Bill Maher apes Johnny Carson in his monologue--except Kilbourn, like Colbert, went whole-douche and wouldn't break character on air.

I think Kilbourn's show would have done better in the age of Twitter and widespread internet fun, as Stephen Colbert has done playing a wink-wink douchebag on his show.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Kilbourn quit that late night CBS show. I mean he wasn't fired, right?

I think I remember reading that he pretty much quit show biz all together.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:06 pm 

I think Kilbourn's show would have done better in the age of Twitter and widespread internet fun, as Stephen Colbert has done playing a wink-wink douchebag on his show.

I can't see Kilbourn mocking President Bush at the White House Correspondent's Dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:06 pm 

Beardown wrote:

Yeah, as far as I know, he walked away. I think he was picked by Letterman to host that show originally.

I think he was from Minnesota or North Dakota? Maybe played college bball somewhere out there.

It was surprising to see guys like Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn come out and give him props on his final show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpiR6lVTVq8

I think Kilbourn would thrive in today's internet + tv environment, the way Colbert et al have. Same for Gary Shandling, except Shandling's crazy as fuck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:09 pm 

Beardown wrote:

Yeah, as far as I know, he walked away. I think he was picked by Letterman to host that show originally.

I think he was from Minnesota or North Dakota?

Minnesota. Hard to believe he's 51 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:10 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:

I can't see Kilbourn mocking President Bush at the White House Correspondent's Dinner.

Hmm, yeah,probably right about that.

Tho Kilbourn wasn't doing an overtly political show. Colbert's hard to peg, he's a practicing Catholic who teaches Sunday school, is about all I know about Colbert dude. Oh, and like half his family died in some tragic accident when he was growing up, which had to warp him to some extent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:22 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:

Hmm, yeah,probably right about that.

Tho Kilbourn wasn't doing an overtly political show. Colbert's hard to peg, he's a practicing Catholic who teaches Sunday school, is about all I know about Colbert dude. Oh, and like half his family died in some tragic accident when he was growing up, which had to warp him to some extent.

He has weird ears and he said something very offensive on TV with Meredith Vieira.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/1 ... 76911.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:21 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Kilbourn was the original daily show host and he provided Stephen Colbert with the model for his Colbert Report. Kilbourn's CBS late, late show was meant to be a bit--Kilbourn playing the egomaniacal, narcissistic late night host was a character, a combination of Larry Sanders, David Brent from the British Office and Hugh Hefner from Playboy after Dark. Similar to what Anthony Jeselnik does in his stand-up or how Bill Maher apes Johnny Carson in his monologue--except Kilbourn, like Colbert, went whole-douche and wouldn't break character on air.

If you want me, I'm here.

But, you'd better bring...your stuff.

'cuz I'm ready for ya.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:15 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I've met Colbert. Nicest guy I have ever met in my life - no joke. You would never know he was a celebrity. He is politically Left-leaning.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
leashyourkids wrote:
I've met Colbert. Nicest guy I have ever met in my life - no joke. You would never know he was a celebrity. He is politically Left-leaning.

You haven't mean SomeGuy, yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Used to love him and Patrick together. I used to have to travel a lot and many a night I fell asleep in hotel with them on the tube. Once, I learned/saw his insane goofiness after ESPN I do not think I can go back to him even for straight sports.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
I hated his political show but this show is actually good (in small doses).

Shocking but true!