It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this thing on?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It's summer, the slow season, but The Game recorded a 0.3 in the recent ratings book.

That is the fourth-to-worst number for all rated stations in the Chicagoland area and the lowest for the 87.7 FM frequency since it debuted in 2009 (country, jazz, news, alternative rock, and now sports).

I know the terrestrial rating isn't the end all be all nowadays (online listening, official app, Kap and Haugh are also on TV, etc.), but what gives? That's terribly low.

Post subject: Re: Is this thing on?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Mac and Goff will move the numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Just heard their update chick say that Baez hit a game winning home run in his first major league debut. They are already equal to the Score in one respect .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
badrogue17 wrote:
Just heard their update chick say that Baez hit a game winning home run in his first major league debut. They are already equal to the Score in one respect .

Agree, but may I suggest the station that is trying to make a name for themselves have someone who watches games doing updates and not just the girl who reads what someone else wrote.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
RadioNerd wrote:
That is the fourth-to-worst number for all rated stations in the Chicagoland area and the lowest for the 87.7 FM frequency since it debuted in 2009 (country, jazz, news, alternative rock, and now sports).

Just to clarify, 87.7 was never news. That was at 101.1, which eventually took WKQX back from 87.7. Q87 took over from smooth jazz (which itself came on the air to fill the WNUA void).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Curious Hair wrote:
RadioNerd wrote:

Just to clarify, 87.7 was never news. That was at 101.1, which eventually took WKQX back from 87.7. Q87 took over from smooth jazz (which itself came on the air to fill the WNUA void).

CH, what FM frequency do you think 87.7 will move to?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:49 pm 

Honestly, I'm starting to lose faith that they'll find an FM frequency to move to at all. Last time this came up, I think I picked 95.5 as most likely to flip, but even they don't seem to be doing as poorly as I thought they were. They still have just about a year to vacate 87.7, but with these ratings being as dire as they are, they should really consider making the jump ASAP or just giving up on the whole thing.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
What about Kap & Haugh??? Are they drawing flies too? They should have hit the airwaves with big names like Dahl,North,Coppock. They have nobody besides Kap & Haugh that could hold anybodies interest longer than 5 minutes. Over the weekend,the immortal Jerry Riles asked his partner on the air: "What's the big kid's name at 1st for the Cubs"...I couldn't believe what I was hearing. 2 minutes later,he stated the Yankees had traded Soriano to the Cubs (when talking about how the Cubs acquired him). Un-Frickin'-real!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:54 pm 

The whole thing was slapped together in haste to make sure they could grab the lease for 87.7 before someone else did, because without that lease, there was no way Tribune could have gotten the station on the air. Perhaps they shouldn't have gotten the station on the air at all. It sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I will just assume DeCastro is building the arc at this point for when a good station (95.5?) becomes available and they then make a move.

It's a solid business plan. Build the product in the garage, get the kinks out and when you are ready to mass produce it, then pay for the big warehouse space.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
RadioNerd wrote:
It's summer, the slow season, but The Game recorded a 0.3 in the recent ratings book.

I know the terrestrial rating isn't the end all be all nowadays (online listening, official app, Kap and Haugh are also on TV, etc.), but what gives? That's terribly low.

Ha, anyone know what this translates to in actual listeners? I still don't get the ratings system.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
DannyB wrote:
RadioNerd wrote:

Ha, anyone know what this translates to in actual listeners? I still don't get the ratings system.

I have never understood that. How many people have Nielson boxes?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
DannyB wrote:
RadioNerd wrote:

Connie and Brigette for starters.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:41 am 

DannyB wrote:
RadioNerd wrote:

A 0.3 probably translates to each employee of the station, and maybe their immediate family.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:44 am 

I'm tickled pink that the Game is losing to 'DCB Jazz and their shitty little Glen Ellyn signal. Jazz can't be dead when it gets more listeners than @TheKapMan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
I'm tickled pink that the Game is losing to 'DCB Jazz and their shitty little Glen Ellyn signal. Jazz can't be dead when it gets more listeners than @TheKapMan.

don't worry, if this situation doesn't improve soon they'll just name "KAP" father of the decade so more people tune in to kiss the ring and "hear it how it is" (TM)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 am 
1000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
DannyB wrote:
RadioNerd wrote:

Connie and Brigette for starters.

Nice! :lol:

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:28 pm 

maybe they should do their own version of Score Search. Imagine a drivetime show featuring CH, erotic lawyer, and dave in champaign if you will.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:23 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
W_Z wrote:
maybe they should do their own version of Score Search. Imagine a drivetime show featuring CH, erotic lawyer, and dave in champaign if you will.

Cot damn that sounds hot!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:51 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
What about Kap & Haugh??? Are they drawing flies too? They should have hit the airwaves with big names like Dahl,North,Coppock. They have nobody besides Kap & Haugh that could hold anybodies interest longer than 5 minutes. Over the weekend,the immortal Jerry Riles asked his partner on the air: "What's the big kid's name at 1st for the Cubs"...I couldn't believe what I was hearing. 2 minutes later,he stated the Yankees had traded Soriano to the Cubs (when talking about how the Cubs acquired him). Un-Frickin'-real!

I heard this too, and was struck by several things. Riles talks a lot but actually says very little. He didn't engage his partner (or the listeners) in a discussion or conversation but more of stream of conscious monologues interrupted by his partner every third time Riles paused to take a breath. He starts off making one point (Cubs players have pressure to perform up to expectations) and then contradicts that point completely (Yankees players have more pressure to perform up to expectations based upon championships), a case of speaking before thinking.

My drive was thankfully short.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
N.C.M.,
I have lost track how many times I PTFB during sportstalk recently. Guys are either talking about subjects I have no interest in or even worse feeble attempts at "guy talk". I guess maybe I'm a crabby old man or there is a lot less radio talent on the air these days. The answer might be somewhere in between.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:00 pm 

I don't mind going in a different direction or some guy talk, just make it interesting. Have some insight, some sense of history, some perspective. Go beyond reading just Deadspin or understand that twitter is tuned to what you want to read/think.

Yeah, maybe I'm too old and then again maybe "lazy" radio has become the norm, or attempts at "smart" radio seem feeble.