It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: North ever discuss M&H?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
When North was taken off the air and he started his Webzone shows from "Lettuce" places, one of his very first guests was Greenie and his very first topic was how hard it was for him to never get better ratings than the ESPN giant radio show. North tried for almost 8 years of a morning show and never came close.

I think we all remember "We don't have bus boards" as that was going to put him over the top.

Since North has left for the past 5 years M&H have got better ratings than MM most of the rating periods and even when they lag behind ESPN, they still always put up much bigger numbers than North did.

Just wondered if anyone ever heard North address it? as this would be a great question to call in and ask him. Does he takes calls? and when is he on?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Jiggets opens his mouth as he prepares to inhale box of donuts on the table.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Jiggs also enjoying the read of the obituaries.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:50 pm 

newper wrote:
Jiggs also enjoying the read of the obituaries.

I know people who do that way too much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Obits are fucking depressing. Someone's entire life summarized in ~200 words.

Notice most major newspapers don't post obit prices publicly. They have one dept take the deceased's info and pass it along to finance/accounting dept to research/figure out how much they can gouge the stiff's family for.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
I don't think you can even get an obit published for less than $300 today.

Reading Jigg's mind... "Mmmm I KNEW a guy!.."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
bigfan wrote:
When North was taken off the air and he started his Webzone shows from "Lettuce" places, one of his very first guests was Greenie and his very first topic was how hard it was for him to never get better ratings than the ESPN giant radio show. North tried for almost 8 years of a morning show and never came close.

I think we all remember "We don't have bus boards" as that was going to put him over the top.

Since North has left for the past 5 years M&H have got better ratings than MM most of the rating periods and even when they lag behind ESPN, they still always put up much bigger numbers than North did.

Mike North’s morning show on The Score was different from his midday show. His morning show was more of a general interest talk show than a sports-exclusive talk show. In addition to discussing sports, he would discuss non-sports related issues at length, including interviewing figures from outside the sports world. Drifting away from sports too much may have alienated some listeners.

Given that up until 1996, Mike Greenberg was a sports broadcasting figure in Chicago, including working for The Score and CLTV, there may have been some identification by listeners who remembered him when he was on the radio or TV in Chicago. The pull of that identification may have waned as time has gone on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:45 am 

It wasn't as if North was a relative unknown to the sports radio listening audience. It was (and still is) a matter of preference. There were those who originally identified/related with North but drifted away, others remained, and then there were those who's tenuous connection was strained with his shedding of partners and rearranging how the station operated. He was perfect as the background noise in my office or the times I could give he & Jiggs a few minutes, but to actively listen or hear him for my morning commute made him sound rather limited.

Listeners want choice and sadly the third biggest market in the U.S. is limited in the sports talk offerings. North went from being a relative breath of fresh air to a wandering blowhard, as Jack Kent Cooke once called him a "blatherskite." Billboards, prime time TV commercials, or full page newspaper ads wouldn't have mattered as what he was originally and what he had become were two different things.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:59 am 

do you mean his intricate knowledge of politics at the Aldermanic level, as seen from a guy picking garbage in the park while smoking a joint. That he needed to do favors to get that job!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
If North had just stuck to sports....if if if..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:11 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
It's funny that picture is only from a couple years ago, I think, but nobody reads the newspaper in the morning anymore. That's part of his problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:18 am 

Hussra wrote:
Obits are fucking depressing. Someone's entire life summarized in ~200 words.

Notice most major newspapers don't post obit prices publicly. They have one dept take the deceased's info and pass it along to finance/accounting dept to research/figure out how much they can gouge the stiff's family for.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:20 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:22 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:36 am 

two white guys draw bigger ratings than the oreo team. shocking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
If North had just stuck to sports....if if if..

...he'd still have a dumb sports show?