It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
You can overlook poor grammar and the occasional factual problem. But the Daily Herald has made regular work of screwing things up. Does anyone proof read or edit this paper?

updated: 9/14/2015 7:25 PM
North: Chicago Bears fans can feel encouraged

By Mike North
The Rebel Inside
Mike North

As a Chicago Bears fan I am somewhat encouraged, but far from satisfied, after Sunday's opening loss to the Green Bay Packers 31-23.

Quarterback Jay Cutler, who was 1-11 against the Packers going into the game, left with his 12th loss against his NFC north division rival. Just think about how hard it is to go 1-12 against an opponent.

Before the game, I thought for the Bears to win the contest their drives had to be over seven plays, and they had to win time of possession.

They accomplished both of those things, but still lost, so I think Cutler has to manage the game better, because that's what good quarterbacks do.

The Bears were losing 24-16 with 5 minutes left to play, and Cutler threw a crucial interception to linebacker Clay Matthews, who made a heck of a play returning the ball for 48 yards. It sealed the loss for the Bears and was totally inexcusable.

To succeed, the 10 yard-pass-or-less approach is the way to go. Safe, dependable and smart.

Four-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady lives off it. Two-time Super Bowl winner Eli Manning did pretty well with the same tactic.

Cutler also had two or three other passes that could have been intercepted, but I won't blame him alone for the loss. Kyle Fuller, who played his first game at right tackle, and cornerback Alan Ball were victimized by the Packers and their star quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Running back Matt Forte played well and carried the ball for 141 yards, but offensive coordinator Adam Gase and coach John Fox forgot to give him the ball in the second half. They made offensive adjustments at halftime that maybe didn't have to be made. Forte should have continued to carry the ball.

Even though they lost the game, there was a semblance of order on the sidelines that was missing last year. I'm not dismissing that mistakes were made by the coaching staff, but the necessary adjustments will be made.

The Packers are just a better team than the Bears, but I'm not ready to say the Detroit Lions or the Minnesota Vikings are. The Lions lost to the San Diego Chargers (33-28), and at first glance look better than the Bears. The Vikings will be better this year because of the return of their infamous running back Adrian Peterson.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Sure, that's a big mistake, but overall I feel Bebe did a good job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
They could care less if North writes it in crayon. They now have your attention.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
If they edited it, no one could think North wrote it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
The Daily Hearld has been one of the most poorly edited papers in the country for quite some time now. I will go online to read some of the suburban news every now and then (because what happens in the burbs actually gets reported on there), and it constantly kills me that the headline paragraphs have a feel that they've been written by wide-eyed high school journalism students.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:33 am 

You will find a mistake in the paper nearly everyday. It is obvious that the authors do not proof read their own articles. I am terrible at grammar, and I catch the mistakes first time through. These guys are supposedly trained in journalism (North aside), so they should know better. I even find wrong baseball scores. The headline will show 4-2, and the article will reference 5-2 or some other score.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:36 am 

denisdman wrote:
You will find a mistake in the paper nearly everyday. It is obvious that the authors do not proof read their own articles. I am terrible at grammar, and I catch the mistakes first time through. These guys are supposedly trained in journalism (North aside), so they should know better. I even find wrong baseball scores. The headline will show 4-2, and the article will reference 5-2 or some other score.

I seem to run across a lot of spelling errors in there...my question is: Is Paddock too cheap to pay for a word processing program with spell checker?

There is this one reporter who makes everything she writes sound like a human interest story:

Quote:
Look out for what's coming in a couple of days on 90? That's right, the southbond Barrington Road exit will be closed while they refiger the toll exits! Fun for everyone! Bring the kids!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:39 am 

Is that the road reporter Marni Pike? She is actually really good at updating construction and Metra issues.

The reason spell checker doesn't work is because the errors are normally of the "to, too, two" or "their, there, they're" variety. The spelling is correct but the usage is wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:44 am 

denisdman wrote:
Is that the road reporter Marni Pike?

Maybe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
One of the editors of DH used to coach my son in youth basketball. I should have became suspicious when he told me: "He ain't got no dribblin' skills".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
you forgot to post the link.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
If they edited it, no one could think North wrote it.

BOOM :lol: :lol:

Zactly