It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joe Cowley
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Did he lose Twitter privileges again? I miss his snarky commentary.

Post subject: Re: Joe Cowley
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:29 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Probably forgot to hottie up his pic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
nwfisch wrote:
Did he lose Twitter privileges again? I miss his snarky commentary.

I dont even consider him snarky, he just says it like it is...which might be downfall. Sat with him for a couple hours before a cubs game, good dude to rap with.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
If The Score makes changes to the midday show, I think Joe Cowley should be considered as a host.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:13 am 

WindyCityBreeze wrote:
If The Score makes changes to the midday show, I think Joe Cowley should be considered as a host.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:16 am 

If anyone thinks I dont like Kenny, if Cowley had a show it would be a daily segment. Might be the whole show for first month.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
bigfan wrote:
If anyone thinks I dont like Kenny, if Cowley had a show it would be a daily segment. Might be the whole show for first month.

With weekly contributions from the Guillen offspring no doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:38 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Kenny and Cowley goes deep. Goes way beyond baseball....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:38 am 

bigfan wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
bigfan wrote:

What happened between the two?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:42 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
bigfan wrote:

What happened between the two?

Every time they are within the same zip code something happened. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:46 am 

bigfan wrote:

Is that more of Cowley's or Kenny's doing?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:53 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Kenny has done some questionable things in his days. But in Jerrys world, as long as you kiss the ring, it usually doesnt matter.

Joe confronted Kenny on tons of those things and it got worse each time.

In general, there was an issue with Cowley talking to other Sox owners, who then Kenny essentially had issues with them. This is a big reason why Jerry had to move Kenny around. Many wanted him fired. As much as Jerry likes Kenny and feels loyal to him, Jerrys investors go way above Kenny. Not all of them, but many.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Cowley a Tribesman? Got deep pocket connections?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:56 am 

bigfan wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Kenny has done some questionable things in his days. But in Jerrys world, as long as you kiss the ring, it usually doesnt matter.

In general, there was an issue with Cowley talking to other Sox owners, who then Kenny essentially had issues with them. This is a big reason why Jerry had to move Kenny around. Many wanted him fired. As much as Jerry likes Kenny and feels loyal to him, Jerrys investors go way above Kenny. Not all of them, but many.

How different would things have been if Debartolo Jr. had been allowed to buy the team?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:01 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
bigfan wrote:

How different would things have been if Debartolo Jr. had been allowed to buy the team?

LOL

Dont know....except he might have been forced to sell.

Which goes back to the issue of selling the Sox. I just think it will be tough to find a buyer. Look at the Phx Coyotes. Everything there revolves around the Stadium issues. Same thing with the Sox. if you can extend the No risk deal and the annual state "Investment" into the team, it makes it an OK deal. Without that, I dont see anyone wanting them for the HUGE money that will be asked, unless you move them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
bigfan wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
bigfan wrote:

LOL

Dont know....except he might have been forced to sell.

Which goes back to the issue of selling the Sox. I just think it will be tough to find a buyer. Look at the Phx Coyotes. Everything there revolves around the Stadium issues. Same thing with the Sox. if you can extend the No risk deal and the annual state "Investment" into the team, it makes it an OK deal. Without that, I dont see anyone wanting them for the HUGE money that will be asked, unless you move them.

While I think you are correct about the possibility of having to move the team as added motivation, I think even the White Sox, being a long-time MLB franchise, will have plenty of takers if/when it comes up for sale. An MLB franchise in general carries a lot more swagger and potential than any NHL franchise not named the Blackhawks, Bruins, Rangers or Canadiens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:16 am 

Relocation will be the major issue.

That reloation might and should be the S loop, but buying a team and then building a new facility isnt cheap...and it would be really tough to go to the state and city now, or anytime in the next 5 years to ask for anything more than some help on utilities and fees.

To pay $750 M for the Sox...wow...and then lose the Free Stadium and lose the annual cash injections...

The only person I know who would buy them is BRick?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
bigfan wrote:
Which goes back to the issue of selling the Sox. I just think it will be tough to find a buyer. Look at the Phx Coyotes. Everything there revolves around the Stadium issues. Same thing with the Sox.

I don't think anything can be compared to the Coyotes. That's just the daffiest shit ever. Any other league would have given up by now. I don't think a White Sox sale would attract the cash-poor frauds that the Coyotes have brought in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I blocked Cowley's account so I haven't noticed, but looking at his timeline now it doesn't look like he's had anything for a while that wasn't just links to S-T articles. Did they retroactively delete stuff or has he just been on the leash that long?

He's a dipshit. But that actually serves him better as a sports yakker than a beat writer. Though if they paired him with Goff they'd just talk about their epic battles of Madden, that'd be real cool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:31 pm 

bigfan wrote:

That reloation might and should be the S loop, but buying a team and then building a new facility isnt cheap...and it would be really tough to go to the state and city now, or anytime in the next 5 years to ask for anything more than some help on utilities and fees.

To pay $750 M for the Sox...wow...and then lose the Free Stadium and lose the annual cash injections...

In today's major sports business world, even for the Sox I think that price tag would easily be met, especially if they could be relocated, and especially to another city if the prospective owner could get a stadium deal in place. I guess the big question would be "Where, if not Chicago?" - maybe Vegas?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:38 pm 

I have real trouble believing the White Sox would be worth more money in Las Vegas than in Chicago, or that Las Vegas can sustain a major-league sports team. How about someone tries running the White Sox as a legitimate baseball enterprise and not the Jerry Reinsdorf Crusty Jock Club and see what happens before we give up on an alpha-level city?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:50 pm 

G.O.P. wrote:
The White Sox will not be put up for official sale until they are back to being a winning team.

Jerry does not sell low.

What did he buy the team for? Doesn't matter whether he sells "low", he will make a huge profit regardless. Also, did Ricketts wait for the Cub to start winning?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
bigfan wrote:

They don't need to relocate. They have a sweetheart lease. I'm surprised you didn't know that. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:20 pm 

The lease will run out. The other benefits of the lease will run out.

Dont know the exact value of the lease, but i would guess at least $10 mill a year. Get $4.75 Mill from state, pay Nothing for anything, no utilities, not one light bulb, that alone needs to be another $5 m easy....

My point is that it is part of the valuation of the team, but it expires, so nobody is buying the team without those benefits being extended to the new owner.

So, a new owner would need a new lease. That new owner probably will not have the politicans literally sitting in the skybox next to them or have 4 seats at center court for the Bulls games.

Thus, whats the real rent on US Cellular? $5 mill a year? which is still an amazing deal, plus, now you need to do all the repairs and pay all the light bills. You need to repave the parking lots, etc.

You are talking about an estimated $20 mill swing in annual valuations.

GOP though has it correct, Jerry wont sell low...and probably wont sell anyways, but I do know he has let it be known that it could be bought and no offers have been made. None that I know of anyways, which doesnt mean any offers.

of course there is a price, but I think its going to be tough to get what he thinks its worth.

I do know that someone will get a great deal on a stadium if they buy the team...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
The Chairman will get an extension, then sell high.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:30 pm 

bigfan wrote:
The lease will run out. The other benefits of the lease will run out.

Dont know the exact value of the lease, but i would guess at least $10 mill a year. Get $4.75 Mill from state, pay Nothing for anything, no utilities, not one light bulb, that alone needs to be another $5 m easy....

My point is that it is part of the valuation of the team, but it expires, so nobody is buying the team without those benefits being extended to the new owner.

So, a new owner would need a new lease. That new owner probably will not have the politicans literally sitting in the skybox next to them or have 4 seats at center court for the Bulls games.

Thus, whats the real rent on US Cellular? $5 mill a year? which is still an amazing deal, plus, now you need to do all the repairs and pay all the light bills. You need to repave the parking lots, etc.

You are talking about an estimated $20 mill swing in annual valuations.

GOP though has it correct, Jerry wont sell low...and probably wont sell anyways, but I do know he has let it be known that it could be bought and no offers have been made. None that I know of anyways, which doesnt mean any offers.

of course there is a price, but I think its going to be tough to get what he thinks its worth.

I do know that someone will get a great deal on a stadium if they buy the team...

Yup. I would imagine that Rauner or his successor will not be so generous on any lease renewals anywhere close to being as slanted as it is, and would probably be happy to raise a little revenue on s stadium sale, even if it is at a bargain-barrel price.

BTW, do we know how much longer the current lease is in place for? The last amendment was 2010, and IIRC the original lease was for 30 years, which would have made the expiration sometime around 2021.

EDIT: Oops - looks like 2029, although I am sure that if the State would want out upon transfer of ownership, it wouldn't be too difficult...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:34 pm 

FWIW, Forbes has them valued at $975M :shock: :

http://www.forbes.com/teams/chicago-white-sox/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:47 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
FWIW, Forbes has them valued at $975M :shock: :

http://www.forbes.com/teams/chicago-white-sox/

I believe it. Even NHL teams cost a shit-ton of money now. The Penguins are on the block and they'll go for half a billion easy. I remember when the Bolts sold for $90MM plus real estate, and the Dallas Stars were given away in exchange for assumption of debt. Granted, it was a hell of a lot of debt, but still.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:49 pm 

Jerry has made his past money by sellig overpriced items (Balcor) to people who were made to feel "smart" for purchasing.

The leverage for the stadium is that there is either a tenant or it becomes a white elephant. Thus if the team is sold the stadium would be a part of the deal.

The concept of a land swap is interesting as there is land south of the loop that sits undeveloped and would definitely allow for a new neighborhood to be built around it (or extended). Then let the current Sox stadium and parking be converted to high density housing.

Cowley decided to slurp Ozzie and lost his credibility in my eyes. He takes a poke at Jerry at just about every opportunity, or so it seems.

Also, Jerry had a hand in landing the Coyotes and interests in the stadiums in the Phoenix area (his winter home).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:57 pm 

I thought that was Jerry Colangelo. The Winnipeg Jets were supposed to move to Minneapolis but the Target Center wouldn't let them in, so Colangelo said they could use the Suns' arena (which couldn't fit a hockey rink).

Reinsdorf tried to buy the Coyotes after the league blocked the relocation to Hamilton but he wasn't going to use his own money, he was going to have the county create a taxing district that would remit the tax money to him, with which he would buy the team.