It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:25 am 

the new narrative is that there are no stats to accurately portray what Fields is doing

Try that argument with Dan during baseball season and see the response you will get.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
the new narrative is that there are no stats to accurately portray what Fields is doing

Try that argument with Dan during baseball season and see the response you will get.

Right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
good dolphin wrote:

Jesus Christ. Maybe they really are trying to make him Football LeBron. Greatness transcends!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Jesus Christ. Maybe they really are trying to make him Football LeBron. Greatness transcends!

it's like the concept of momentum. you just can't explain it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Bagels wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

it's like the concept of momentum. you just can't explain it.

Clutch does not exist, but the absence of cluth does!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Yeah really funny that the guy who would angrily stammer about how "there is no such thing as clutch" because the stats prove it doesn't is now arguing that the stats proving Justin Fields kinda blows are incomplete and don't properly account for what he does on the field to contribute to wins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:12 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Larry Holmes brought up his special 25th anniversary "House of Larry" podcast episode to Leila she cutely brushed off with "Oh, I was busy". I had listened to it thinking it'd have old Score stories. It was a frickin Larry Holmes autobiography. An ankle injury shut down his in reach pro athlete path. A H-F coach saw him as a future Score host out of the blue. Genuinely heartbreaking story about how he went down to 89 lbs after colon surgery. I actually liked 6-9 shift Larry before he turned into a race-baiter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:50 am 

Sir isn't a race baiter.

Weird Larry stories are probably my favorite thing on this board right now and within that realm, nothing is more amusing than MLB career Larry. The stories seem to be coming much more frequently. I attribute it to the insecurity due to the unfortunate change in his life.

House of L cannot have been going for 25 years. Its an odd undertaking as I assume he is playing to tens of listeners. I understand its a current thing for all people in communications to also have a podcast because no show is sufficiently big to contain all their thoughts. They all kind of cancel each other out. Its just a large, unending circle jerk of people having each other on as experts.

I ultimately think Sir is an OK guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
25th anniversary of joining WSCR, most likely. And while he's not always looking for a fight the way Goff is, "wow, Daaaaaan, this has a lot to do with race" was on Leery Bingo for a reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:26 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
25th anniversary of joining WSCR, most likely. And while he's not always looking for a fight the way Goff is, "wow, Daaaaaan, this has a lot to do with race" was on Leery Bingo for a reason.

Be careful he will meet you in hallway.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:53 am 

RFDC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Be careful he will meet you in hallway.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:

Yup. He's quirky. I understand that can be annoying. Sometimes extremely annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Curious Hair wrote:

When John Kuhn played for the Packers and fans would chant "Kuuuuhn" when he carried the ball, Leery said that Packer fans were a little too eager to chant that word and he knew what they reelly meant to chant -- that, of course, being "coon" -- and that was just an excuse to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:08 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

When John Kuhn played for the Packers and fans would chant "Kuuuuhn" when he carried the ball, Leery said that Packer fans were a little too eager to chant that word and he knew what they reelly meant to chant -- that, of course, being "coon" -- and that was just an excuse to do so.

RIP White and Proud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
you can be a sympathetic figure in real life and be an instant push the button on the radio. Both are true of Larry. Add in the fact that Leila is now on unpredictably and I can't dial into this show even to just check it out for long. I'd rather have solo Dan and I dislike solo Dan. It's ok to have an ego a mile long if you're good at radio. Larry is not good at radio, at least not with any partner I've heard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:48 am 
1000 CLUB

Laurence Holmes is not just a radio talk show host. He is a former Bears/NFL reporter. Sometimes, people forget that. Just because he isn't at Hallas Hall every day doesn't mean he's not at Hallas Hall every day. Sometimes, Laurence needs to remind people that he's well sourced and has contacts to this day and he's not just some guy making crazy statements on the radio.

Laurence had to remind the audience that he's an insider this past week when talking about scouting reports he's now receiving on Caleb Williams, which, shockingly, are not positive for Williams.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:51 am 
1000 CLUB

City of Fools wrote:
you can be a sympathetic figure in real life and be an instant push the button on the radio. Both are true of Larry. Add in the fact that Leila is now on unpredictably and I can't dial into this show even to just check it out for long. I'd rather have solo Dan and I dislike solo Dan. It's ok to have an ego a mile long if you're good at radio. Larry is not good at radio, at least not with any partner I've heard.

Leila used to be much more likeable I thought. I don't even mind her voice. She's not prepared and has this arrogance that she may have picked up from her co-hosts. She's also a woman who works two jobs. Also, I think she said some variation of "their truth", "speaking truths" about 5 times on one of the show's earlier this week.

That phrase along with Bernstein's "saying the quiet part out loud" and Holmes with the "sir" comments....I can only guess what kind of programming these people are listening too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:51 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Sir isn't a race baiter.

Weird Larry stories are probably my favorite thing on this board right now and within that realm, nothing is more amusing than MLB career Larry. The stories seem to be coming much more frequently. I attribute it to the insecurity due to the unfortunate change in his life.

House of L cannot have been going for 25 years. Its an odd undertaking as I assume he is playing to tens of listeners. I understand its a current thing for all people in communications to also have a podcast because no show is sufficiently big to contain all their thoughts. They all kind of cancel each other out. Its just a large, unending circle jerk of people having each other on as experts.

Holmes is a race grifter. Everything goes back to racism on that show.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:54 am 
1000 CLUB

Yeah really funny that the guy who would angrily stammer about how "there is no such thing as clutch" because the stats prove it doesn't is now arguing that the stats proving Justin Fields kinda blows are incomplete and don't properly account for what he does on the field to contribute to wins.

Yes, Lelia was very quick to say the stats don't matter. Lawrence agrees.

The fact that his show is in such agreement on everything, even on this topic....probably the most predictable thing.

Also, Lelia thinks it's ridiculous that the entire station pretty much agrees on every topic. For someone who goes on and on about how horrible social media is for a woman, she spends a lot of time on the comment section :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
BD wrote:

Also, Lelia thinks it's ridiculous that the entire station pretty much agrees on every topic. For someone who goes on and on about how horrible social media is for a woman, she spends a lot of time on the comment section :-)

Yep men have it so easy on social media. No one wishes death on say , Tucker Carlson on a daily basis. Im sure Leila has a lot of sympathy for the social media “ abuse” her fellow women like Laura Loomer, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Ann Coulter receive too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:41 pm 

Leila, Larry, and Kaitlin Sharkey have a fun little girls hour here. Larry being his strange delusional self being all awkward around women.

Dan can't get back soon enough

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:49 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Leila, Larry, and Kaitlin Sharkey have a fun little girls hour here. Larry being his strange delusional self being all awkward around women.

plus they had Tracy Woofson on

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
RFDC wrote:

Did he say if any of them would "get it"?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Dan is ultimately correct: I don't think there's a stat that fully captures a QB staring at a wide open receiver before deciding to run into a defensive lineman's chest.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:48 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Sir isn't a race baiter.

So he didn't play at HF but played club at Depaul, then was almost signed through a tryout? I love this story.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Sir isn't a race baiter.

So he didn't play at HF but played club at Depaul, then was almost signed through a tryout? I love this story.

It's truly wonderful and I find it endearing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:09 am 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:

Did he say that views all of them as his sister?

This dude gets his kicks by having attractive females on the show...but then being an awkward idiot probably wants to get laid, but his weirdness gets in the way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

Such a strange week.

Dan is on vacation and Laurence can't go a segment without mentioning what he's doing. Very odd to be repeatedly talking about "your partner". Then Laurence does his bring a bunch of hot women in the studio to talk sports and have a good time. That's actually pretty cool he can hang around hot women, but it further brings out the awkwardness in him. Then these moments of talking slowly, breaking out a southern twang while yelling, "fam", laughing uncontrollably at things that are not funny, just a weird dude

Leila has no idea what real work means. She thinks Dan retweeting a Bears article or tweeting that he's angry that the Bears.com wrote a puff piece on Kevin Warren means Dan is working on vacation. Talk about living in a fantasy world. I guess she's living "her truth" as she likes to say about 10 times a show now.

Lawrence thinks Leila is the hardest working person with all of those jobs. How many people are able to work 10-2 T-F with the permission of their full time job and not impacting that job at all? Talk about living in a fantasy worker where watching sports is work and then reminding the audience every segment of how many jobs you have (all while not really paying attention to the NFL but having an arrogance about being uninformed).

More random thoughts...Shawn King is a guest a week or two ago and says coordinators like to coach from the sidelines because of their ego - being seen on camera and looking like a head coach vs. being up in the booth. Dan thought this was an amazing thought, Lawrence didn't immediately embrace but now agrees (shockingly). Now, it's being mentioned through the week by him and Leila as if this is a fact. This isn't a new topic - some coaches like being on the field to get a better feel for the game and to talk to players right off the field/coaching, some like being in the booth for a better view of the field. It's possible that Shawn King is right for some coaches also, but for these "experts" like Laurence/Dan to just act like this is now common knowledge/fact when they even had said they had never heard that before King said it....just lazy.

On another note, Leila gives a tease for High Noon, saying the "dog ate my homework"...Laurence says, don't worry he's got a great topic, but Leila sort of reminds him that this is an actual tease and the dog reference is about her story she'll share to which Laurence instantly knows exactly what she's going to be speaking about. My point being and it isn't a new complaint...the show is way too programed, but that's because Holmes needs to know what's going to be said before it's said and all topics beforehand so they can be aligned as a show....way too programmed for me and scripted.

Then, we're back to going after Aaron Rodgers in every other segment. We know this is related to Covid, but they use a lot of his comments as new attack modes for things that go back to him not getting the vaccine. Rodgers is a weird dude, but let's make sure we know the real reason why this show (and the Score as a whole) don't like him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:51 am 
1000 CLUB

Remember when that David Carr guy suggested that Mariota should replace Hurtz in Philadelphia? And Larry and Dan said it was racist. The Eagles didn't do it and they went on to go 1-5. Score a win for the racist and the black QB who he wanted to replace Hurtz.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:33 am 

conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Sir isn't a race baiter.

now you're just trying to play me to tell the third person view of the story from someone who doesn't have knowledge specifically of Sir but of all the situations from his youth

I won't run through the whole story again. I think Sir did start at HF and was probably decent. We are similar in age and I seem to recall HF being above average. So Sir probably was an OK high school varsity player. Obviously no college was asking him to play on scholarship. We'd hear about that if it happened, even if he turned them down (like Yale). So he went to De Paul. It's a club team and not a particularly high end one at that. I doubt they have cuts and De Paul back in those days was much more of a commuter school. The quality of baseball on their club level was below city/suburbs level of high school varsity baseball. Their top rival was Loyola U. I played summer baseball with some of those players when I was in high school and they were in college. I was by no means a star nor played for a top program and I was better than them, even being four years younger.

Regarding the Expos tryout, a few teams (royals and expos particularly) were well known for having regional tryouts for players who might have slipped through the cracks. These were open. Some may have been invited but everyone was welcome. They were scouting for people with one elite tool they might be able to mold into something. They weren't scouting your overall game. So, they'd run everyone (but pitchers). Anyone who didn't have some kind of elite time, was immediately cut, so they group was halved and halved again very quickly.

Now, Sir says he had a preferred tryout. They needed catchers for the pitchers trying out so they invited catchers so they knew they could cover their pitchers.

They might sign one out of several hundred tryouts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 94  Next