It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:42 am 
1000 CLUB

"Paying Dividends"

div·i·dend (dĭv'ĭ-děnd')

a. A share of profits received by a stockholder or by a policyholder in a mutual insurance society.
b. A payment pro rata to a creditor of a person adjudged bankrupt.
c. A share of a surplus; a bonus.
d. An unexpected gain, benefit, or advantage.

Whenever a football team practices something and than does it well I have to hear some asshole tell me it is "Paying (huge) Dividends." So is the play sending you a quarterly check or are you telling me that practice and success is an unexpected benefit. :x

Does anyone try to use words correctly anymore. I know I'm probably the only person this bothers, but they all say this now.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Dividends

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:04 am 
1000 CLUB

The NFL and the Saints means so much to New Orleans and how much them playing here means to the city. :shock:

I let it slide after the Monday night game, but how many times do I have to hear this lie? :x Because I hear it every Saints game. I realize that the networks kiss the leagues ass, however this is outright bullshit.

The NFL and owner Tom Benson both wanted to permanently move the team right after Katrina. The NFL wanted them in LA and Benson wanted San Antonio. They didn't want to play games in Baton Rogue even though that is where most of their fan base was. They tried to break the Saints lease. And finally demonized a coach who said that the players need time to focus on finding homes for their families and not making the NFL money.

Unfortunately, I know after the Bears win today we will be inundated with this horseshit from a local writer leading up to the game. My guess is Telander.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
This happened during Sunday's bears game, when Joe Buck starting talking about the 'perks' of working for fox being able to watch episodes of 24 early... It came across as totally obnoxious, I'm so special talk.
thus ends my rant...
oh in other news, the spring semester started here today, it's really refreshing that I saw no one wearing any Ohio State clothing in class today

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
As I hate starting new threads and I always kind of liked this one so I'll save it from eternal damnation, I'd like to add another entry.

This really has nothing to do with football announcers but I had remembered this as just things sports guys say - so can we discontinue discussion of "winning the press conference"? This has been a Bernsie thing for a while but now I heard Hanley talking about it the other day.

"Winning the press conference" makes no sense. If you want to make a point about popular opinion, then make it. But to focus all your attention on whether a decision "wins you a press conference" is ridiculous. Sometimes you need to make a decision even if it isn't popular. Did the Blackhawks "win" the press conference when they replaced Savard?

It was kind of clever a long, long time ago. Now it's annoying.